Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

326 posts, read 1,108,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Corking, you should realize that this verse has been used so many times on this forum to show the LDS that they are wrong. It does the opposite. They believe that we are the ones preaching a different gospel.

I have lived in Utah for 14 years. I know many many LDS people. When you come at them like this, they just put up walls and resist whatever you have to say. It takes developing a mutually respectful relationship before you can ever truly speak religion with them listening. The situation you have described about your own conversion experience is extremely rare. Most people do not have any patience with being told they are wrong...even if you can provide a scripture to back you up. It is just human nature.
Joseph Smith said, " I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together...Neither Paul, John, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such work as I." Histrory of the church, Vol. 6, p. 408-409

What Joseph Smith did is assist many to hell. I don't think you want to go where he is! Thank God for Jesus Christ and his word!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:13 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,752,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corking28 View Post
If only they will understand that the reason Jesus put this in the bible is because he already knew that Mormonism was going to exist and deceive millions. Did you know Mormons believe if someone gets saved Jesus goes into hell and pulls out ALL their relatives back to Adam and Eve. The devil is deceiving so many with this cult.
i think what alot of people are trying to say is that when confronted and told they are wrong, most people develop the fight or flight response, especially when it comes to religion, they either stay and fight and have no intention of giving up what they believe or they simply choose the flight and ignore what one has to say.
theres an old saying..people wont care what you know, until they know you care.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM

326 posts, read 1,108,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So the truth from your viewpoint is that God specifically appeared to you to let you know that he/she specifically spoke about Joseph Smith in reference to those verses (the warnings).

Why wouldn't God just appear to Joseph Smith and say "don't believe what that angel tells you"..

Seems to inefficient..
Jesus has appeared to me but he did not appear to me about the Mormon thing. He talked to my heart and showed me in the scripture where it talks about Mormonism being false. Many things happen of the devil. Why God allows them I don't know. Supposedly Mary appeared to the children of Fatima and preached about adoring Mary and 15 promises of the rosary that TOTALLY CONDTRADICTS the bible. Us Christians know that was a vision of Satan. Maybe God allows these things to test us. Are we going to believe Jesus and his word or not! Faith in the word of God...in JESUS Christ is the ONLY way to heaven.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
Quote:
Jesus has appeared to me but he did not appear to me about the Mormon thing. He talked to my heart and showed me in the scripture where it talks about Mormonism being false. Many things happen of the devil. Why God allows them I don't know. Supposedly Mary appeared to the children of Fatima and preached about adoring Mary and 15 promises of the rosary that TOTALLY CONDTRADICTS the bible. Us Christians know that was a vision of Satan. Maybe God allows these things to test us. Are we going to believe Jesus and his word or not! Faith in the word of God...in JESUS Christ is the ONLY way to heaven.
Corking you just described the faith of a Catholic and the reason they are also called christians..Catholics have faith in the word of God and also believe in the death, burial and resurrection of His son and why He was sacrificed..Be warned that some may misconstrew your visions as from Satan., just as you claim the childrens vision was from satan...I don't believe your visions are from Satan, and I can't explain for certain where they came from, simply because I don't believe Jesus appears in the flesh or His spiritual body these days..He is always present in my soul though the Holy Spirit and that is my faith he exists..Jesus doesnt give me any prophecies, dreams or visions..His work here was completed on the cross..Our work is in spreading the good news and to show the love of Christ in our actions, deeds and words..and gently and lovingly sharing the gospels and allowing people to grow in faith through our love and gentle guidance..Thay is just my own opinion of witnessing..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-28-2008 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,078,639 times
Quote:

Again.. Why wouldn't God just say to Joseph Smith.. "Don't believe that angel.. he is a swindler!".

Then JS wouldn't believe the angel.. thus we wouldn't be having this conversation..

Probably just a rhetorical question I suppose..

Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
theres an old saying..people wont care what you know, until they know you care.
Absolutely!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,693 times
Quote:
I don't think you want to go where he is!
I'm not Mormon. I am a Bible-believing, born-again Christian. But I have lived among the Mormons for many years. I have seen people approach them with both types of attitutes. The "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude, and the "I care about getting to know you" attitude. Only one works and it's not the first one.

I am very familiar with Mormon doctrine, and there have been countless threads devoted to it on this forum. I think that our LDS friends have endured enough. They know what they believe and they know what we believe. If they are interested in making a change, they know where to find us, and vice versa. In the meantime, lets let this subject matter rest.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,508,094 times
Quote:
how dare you?! so their visions were of satan and yours of Jesus? PROVE IT!!!! and in order to prove yours--you MUST disprove their's
you are really starting to offend me now

Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM

178 posts, read 312,481 times
Quote:
Joseph Smith said, " I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together...Neither Paul, John, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such work as I." Histrory of the church, Vol. 6, p. 408-409

What Joseph Smith did is assist many to hell. I don't think you want to go where he is! Thank God for Jesus Christ and his word!

The volumes of The History of the Church the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were not based on voice recordings, such as we have today as the technology wasn't in existence in the early 1800's. These records were based in short-hand documents, in journals recorded after the events, etc. As such, the potential for inaccuracies in representation is obvious. Furthermore, most of what is written in these volumes, though quoting the Prophet in the first person, wasn't dictated by the Prophet Joseph Smith, but is from external sources, compiled years after his death by Church historians. Such is the case for the record of the above comments, gleaned from the Thomas Bullock report as found in History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints volume 6, pages 408-412. [Bullock's original notes have not been located. See Historian's Office Journal for this date (LDS Archives).] The date of the gathering of which Bullock records was May 26, 1844. One month later, June 27, 1844, the Prophet was murdered. No one knows for sure how accurate the above quotation may or may not have been. However, Joseph Smith never had the opportunity to review for accuracy what Thomas Bullock recorded (though critics of Joseph Smith would likely not accept this as being important). Despite this, I find it admirable that church historians didn't just brush under the rug the record from a source that is generally regarded as being reliable and without a subversive agenda.

The volumes of The History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have never been sustained as canon or scripture. They are not regarded as "The Word of God" except in those instances where specific accepted canonical revelations are recorded therein. Though an extremely valuable asset in understanding the setting and circumstances of that time period, these cannot be relied upon as being an entirely accurate reflection of exact original comments made for the aforementioned reasons already stated. However, such was never the intent of these volumes. There are 7 volumes in The History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Each is hundreds of pages long. Glean through this with a fine-toothed comb, and I Guarantee there will be inaccurate quotes. The same can also be said for The Journal of Discourses.

If one reads the bulk of the writings and quotes of Joseph Smith, one gets a very different impression of the individual than reading just the recording of the above quote or above address.

What has been sustained as scriptural canon and truth within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are the "Standard Works" : The Bible, The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price. If one wants to learn more about the "Mormons" I would encourage them to read these documents in a prayerful and humble attitude.

Last edited by JNHarris; 04-28-2008 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 PM

178 posts, read 312,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I'm not Mormon. I am a Bible-believing, born-again Christian. But I have lived among the Mormons for many years. I have seen people approach them with both types of attitutes. The "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude, and the "I care about getting to know you" attitude. Only one works and it's not the first one.

I am very familiar with Mormon doctrine, and there have been countless threads devoted to it on this forum. I think that our LDS friends have endured enough. They know what they believe and they know what we believe. If they are interested in making a change, they know where to find us, and vice versa. In the meantime, lets let this subject matter rest.
Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity