U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,032,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Imagine! The power of positive thinking introduced in the bible of all places. How with the new age practitioners ever get over this?
I don't know,
But if they replace it with the power of prayer and the power of the blood of Jesus;
They will get along just fine
God Bless You
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Thanks for sharing. It took me a long time before I realized how much negative self talk had poisoned my thoughts, outlook, being, ect. I cursed others but most of all I cursed myself. I had internalized so much of it as a child that this type of negativity seemed normal. I had to learn to see myself as God saw me and rebuke, negate all of the negative self talk with scriptures, prayer, songs, and visualizations of Jesus healing me. It was killing me. For example, when I would be really down, I would imagine Jesus standing above me speaking to me, pouring healing balm on me and around me and this was also a protection against those negative thoughts which had permeated my life. It has been a journey and a battle but God has healed me in so many ways and continues to heal me of this. God bless.
wonderful testimony Shana
God Bless

Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,293,365 times
Default What an important topic!

Proverbs 23:7
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

Galatians 6:7
". . . whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."

When I was a teen, an evangelist holding a series of meetings at my church really made an impact on me. He was talking about this very subject. One thing I remember very plainly was his admonition to watch our words carefully. He gave many examples, but the one I remember vividly was about a dear friend of his that was always saying, "That just breaks my heart." The man ended up having serious cardiac trouble. Then there's the parent that says, "I hope you grow up to have children just like you! Then you'll understand what I'm going through." Years later, neither the parent nor the child can quite understand where the grandchild went wrong. My last example is courtesy of a local friend. She was with another woman one day when they observed someone driving recklessly; this third party had barely managed to avoid an accident. The lady who was with my friend said out loud, "Girly, your driving is going to get you into trouble one day." My friend didn't think much about the statement at the time, but she remembered it vividly when "Girly" was killed in a vehicular accident not too long after that. Having herself been convinced of the power of the tongue, my friend couldn't help but wonder if this accident was partly the result of her friend's unintentional curse.

Words spoken in anger or frustration can have serious, lifelong consequences. So can words of blessing. Both operate on the principle of reaping what you sow. However, the words carrying a curse are much harder to overcome. I remember reading a long time ago that 7-8 positive statements are needed just to balance one negative one. Overcoming a negative statement takes many more. Although I am far from perfect at this, I try to immediately arrest my negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. I apply the admonitions of Philippians 4:8 to my thoughts.

As far as generational curses, I believe we'll be well on our way to overcoming them when we learn to apologize and state that we were wrong. I firmly believe we need to actively identify the wrong action when apologizing and, whenever possible, replace it with an appropriate action and/or words.

-------

A good book that talks about blessing our children is The Gift of The Blessing by Gary Smalley and John Trent. The authors address this issue in the book and address ways of overcoming the negatives we've placed in our children's lives or that others have placed in our own. They lament that the Biblical blessing as practiced by the patriarchs is practically unknown in this day and age.

Two other books that talk about the power of the tongue are Hung by the Tongue by Francis P. Martin and The Tongue--A Creative Force by Charles Capps. I've only skimmed through these books, but I've been impressed by what I've seen. Both are pretty small, so it would only take an hour or two to get through each one. (Hmmm, perhaps I know what tonight's reading assignment should be.)

Old 04-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Do you think that the church is suffering because of this type of past behavior?
This is an intriguing question. My first instinct is to say, yes, the church is suffering because anytime an individual suffers, the church suffers. You've also brought up some interesting scenarios where we say things without thinking about the repercussions. (i.e., "You'll never find another church like this one.") I hope this makes us really examine our thoughts and words.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM

22,834 posts, read 33,170,931 times
Words are like fire, we can neither control or reverse the damage they can do.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,491,111 times
i thought this was appropriate since it was about attitude

What's Wrong with this Worship Service? - Today's Christian (http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2001/005/3.35.html - broken link)

Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
i thought this was appropriate since it was about attitude

What's Wrong with this Worship Service? - Today's Christian (http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2001/005/3.35.html - broken link)
Outstanding article!

Arguy, I think it might answer your question about young families in the church. Please realize I think the application can be applied in both directions regarding age.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Proverbs 23:7
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

Galatians 6:7
". . . whatever a man sows, that he will also reap."

When I was a teen, an evangelist holding a series of meetings at my church really made an impact on me. He was talking about this very subject. One thing I remember very plainly was his admonition to watch our words carefully. He gave many examples, but the one I remember vividly was about a dear friend of his that was always saying, "That just breaks my heart." The man ended up having serious cardiac trouble. Then there's the parent that says, "I hope you grow up to have children just like you! Then you'll understand what I'm going through." Years later, neither the parent nor the child can quite understand where the grandchild went wrong. My last example is courtesy of a local friend. She was with another woman one day when they observed someone driving recklessly; this third party had barely managed to avoid an accident. The lady who was with my friend said out loud, "Girly, your driving is going to get you into trouble one day." My friend didn't think much about the statement at the time, but she remembered it vividly when "Girly" was killed in a vehicular accident not too long after that. Having herself been convinced of the power of the tongue, my friend couldn't help but wonder if this accident was partly the result of her friend's unintentional curse.

Words spoken in anger or frustration can have serious, lifelong consequences. So can words of blessing. Both operate on the principle of reaping what you sow. However, the words carrying a curse are much harder to overcome. I remember reading a long time ago that 7-8 positive statements are needed just to balance one negative one. Overcoming a negative statement takes many more. Although I am far from perfect at this, I try to immediately arrest my negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. I apply the admonitions of Philippians 4:8 to my thoughts.

As far as generational curses, I believe we'll be well on our way to overcoming them when we learn to apologize and state that we were wrong. I firmly believe we need to actively identify the wrong action when apologizing and, whenever possible, replace it with an appropriate action and/or words.

-------

A good book that talks about blessing our children is The Gift of The Blessing by Gary Smalley and John Trent. The authors address this issue in the book and address ways of overcoming the negatives we've placed in our children's lives or that others have placed in our own. They lament that the Biblical blessing as practiced by the patriarchs is practically unknown in this day and age.

Two other books that talk about the power of the tongue are Hung by the Tongue by Francis P. Martin and The Tongue--A Creative Force by Charles Capps. I've only skimmed through these books, but I've been impressed by what I've seen. Both are pretty small, so it would only take an hour or two to get through each one. (Hmmm, perhaps I know what tonight's reading assignment should be.)
I like the title Blueberry;
"Hung by the Tongue", I'm going to try and find this book..
thanks for your post and outstanding points, they are so true
I hope I can rep you, but if I'm not able to, you know what that means...........Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Prayer;
God Bless You today

Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM

20,232 posts, read 17,416,995 times
The spoken word has incredible power.
God spoke Creation into being.
In the beginning was the word and the word was God.

That's not just poetry it is lierally how creation comes into being.
Words have the power to create, and they do.
Absolutely, what we speak we are creating. Literally.

Many ancient peoples know this. There have been cultures where the spoken word is so sacred and so powerful, it is ONLY used in prayer, ritual, ceremony, song, and blessings. All other ordinary communication was conducted in other ways.

Our words go out and create what we say, parents know this, that is why it is so important to speak to our kids and ourselves in a way that encourages and builds them up, not that tears them down or belittles. For what we say becomes the truth.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM

I had an experience this weekend visiting a friend out of state;
they invited me to their son's basketball game 17 year olds, somewhat of a tournament;
They were getting the stew beat out them and their self-confidence went quick;
I couldn't help but stop and notice the parents and grandparents were saying negative things such as "you can't win nothing playing like that" etc. So I felt pretty bad listening to this horrible talk and whining..... so I tried a little experiment. I stood up and started clapping and cheering them on in spite of their low score, and one other lady started the same ; in about 5 minutes everything turned for the better. they did lose this one game ; but the second game they came out fired up like they wanted to win!!!! We spoke life into them in Jesus's name, instead of defeat; it was almost miraculous to witness this true principle. I couldn't help but tell the parents and grandparents, to speak life into them))) please don't say bad things about them.......
p.s. these were church people for the most part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity