Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 AM

135 posts, read 85,400 times

Advertisements

When John the Baptist baptized Jesus scripture says

6 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

So before this happened was Jesus already God incarnate?

Because before John baptized Jesus John said:

“But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post
6 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
“But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.
What do you think?
The fullness of scripture reveals the fullness of the Lords Truth.
re: even before John the Baptist was born, there was an angel Gabriel stating Mary would bear a son, called 'Son of the Most High'.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:14 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoting2400 View Post

What do you think?
Yes, Jesus was God incarnate from His birth and existed eternally before His incarnation as the Second Person of the Trinity. He wasn't just a man to whom 'the Christ' descended upon as in Gnostic belief. It was the pre-incarnate Jesus who appeared to Abraham, Moses, and others in theophanies. Jesus Himself said that before Abraham was born, I am (John 8:58).

Matthew 1:23 indicates that Matthew viewed Jesus as 'God with us' from birth and Matthew 2:15 views Jesus as God's son even as a young child (two or three years of age).

Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Yes, Jesus was God incarnate from His birth and existed eternally before His incarnation as the Second Person of the Trinity. He wasn't just a man to whom 'the Christ' descended upon as in Gnostic belief. It was the pre-incarnate Jesus who appeared to Abraham, Moses, and others in theophanies. Jesus Himself said that before Abraham was born, I am (John 8:58).

Matthew 1:23 indicates that Matthew viewed Jesus as 'God with us' from birth and Matthew 2:15 views Jesus as God's son even as a young child (two or three years of age).
The angel said Mary would conceive by the power of the Most High - so that would be the moment of His incarnation, not 'at birth'.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
The angel said Mary would conceive by the power of the Most High - so that would be the moment of His incarnation, not 'at birth'.
I don't want to get into an argument about whether human life begins at conception or at birth or whether God imparts the human soul to the body at conception or at birth.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
I don't want to get into an argument about whether human life begins at conception or at birth or whether God imparts the human soul to the body at conception or at birth.
And who is asking you to do that?? Your response sounds like you are trying to start an argument!

Old 06-22-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Nor do you need to if you focus on your own word, incarnation.

The bible also tells us blessed Mary is the 'Mother of My Lord' when she visits Elizabeth, which is Before Jesus is Born.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
And who is asking you to do that?? Your response sounds like you are trying to start an argument!
Not at all. It was simply my reply to her statement ''so that [conception] would be the moment of His incarnation, not 'at birth'.''

If I had wanted to start an argument I would have stated my position, which I'm unsure of, on the moment of ensoulment and proceeded from there.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:29 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Jesus was born of the virgin through the miracle of the Lord incarnating himself, then before the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist, Jesus got a miracle when He turned water into wine at a wedding in Cana ....... After that Jesus was baptized in water and through the Spirit of God, so the righteousness would be fulfilled, as Jesus became the first Christian ....

Old 06-22-2020, 02:52 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Probably wise to avoid it since the very existence of miscarriages complicates the reasoning. God is not likely to waste souls in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity