Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 AM

1,765 posts, read 768,485 times

Advertisements

What are some of your favorite moments in history where you can see the work of the Holy Spirit or Jesus' teachings in display?

Shortly after the Confederate Capital fell to the North, Lincoln visited, not a s a conqueror but as an American with a small group of people.

Well he landed and just freed slaves saw him they flocked to Lincoln kneeling and trying to kiss his feet.

Here Lincoln shows his love for his neighbor and his humility.

Lincoln said "Don't kneel to me, that is not right. You must kneel to God only, and thank Him for the liberty you will hereafter enjoy. I am but God's humble instrument; but you may rest assured that as long as I live no one shall put a shackle on your limbs; and you shall have all the rights which God has given to every other free citizen of this Republic."

It took Lincoln minutes to get the people back on their feet and to stop kneeling, but he showed great Christian virtues in this moment.

What are your favorite historical moments where you can see Jesus at work....other than you know from Jesus himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 08:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,187,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
What are some of your favorite moments in history where you can see the work of the Holy Spirit or Jesus' teachings in display?

Shortly after the Confederate Capital fell to the North, Lincoln visited, not a s a conqueror but as an American with a small group of people.

Well he landed and just freed slaves saw him they flocked to Lincoln kneeling and trying to kiss his feet.

Here Lincoln shows his love for his neighbor and his humility.

Lincoln said "Don't kneel to me, that is not right. You must kneel to God only, and thank Him for the liberty you will hereafter enjoy. I am but God's humble instrument; but you may rest assured that as long as I live no one shall put a shackle on your limbs; and you shall have all the rights which God has given to every other free citizen of this Republic."

It took Lincoln minutes to get the people back on their feet and to stop kneeling, but he showed great Christian virtues in this moment.

What are your favorite historical moments where you can see Jesus at work....other than you know from Jesus himself?
I see history as result of Eph. 6:12. Christianity was beneficial for humanity because of many individuals following Christ Jesus, not by any organized religious events.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 AM

11,196 posts, read 7,249,969 times
I agree with Lincoln's view of Christianity, but let's not forget that many Old Testament-leaning "Christians" thought they were in-the-right and Godly in supporting slavery. The point is, you can have two opposite facing views/attitudes, both going under the name of Christianity.

The move against slavery was more of a restitution of "all men are created equal", and the support of freedom and liberty for all. It was move back the original intent of our early documents and Founding Fathers (even though some had slaves themselves).

People who rose up against slavery were from all walks of life, and all spiritual and religious backgrounds. It's a nice try, but we can't give all the awards and acclaim to Christianity.

To answer the question, my favorite moments "in history" have been when people I've seen (or me personally) have experienced moments when a shift occurred, or a revelation was made, or a matter improved dramatically. None are huge glaring moments in the history of this country, but they are all equally as profound nonetheless. It shouldn't take big household-known matters to count. It's valuing the mustard-seed outlook, and that great things come from tiny matters and people in the background. Most people I know value more the daily matters that we don't remember, than the few that we do. As long as God has the glory, we don't need to be keeping track, or resort to PR antics that God doesn't need.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-30-2020 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity