Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova2216 View Post
What about this scripture? (Acts 8:18,19)

Isn't this the standard for how the Holy Spirit was passed from person to person?

6 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
No. It is not the standard. I specifically mentioned in my post that the Samaritans were an exception. Since the Samaritans were hated by the Jews they probably wouldn't have believed that the Samaritans had been baptized by the Holy Spirit unless one of the apostles came and laid hands on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 01:01 PM

Location: Check out > Mission Printing.US (Click on Publications for bible answers)
304 posts, read 83,032 times
If I do not have a command for ALL MEN to be baptized in the Holy Spirit why should I be teaching it is meant for all men?

Prove all things (1Thess.5:21).

Old 07-03-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your opinion is certainly not a surprise, Mike. You have no interest in how the things you BELIEVE might actually work in the real world beyond your imagination and magical understanding of God. You seem to need the esoteric mysteriousness of God-belief.
You hypocrite. You distort the biblical teachings in favor of your made up crap and then criticize Christians who hold to the biblical teachings.

You about done now with your tantrum? You'd better be because you're taking the thread off topic.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If I do not have a command for ALL MEN to be baptized in the Holy Spirit why should I be teaching it is meant for all men?

Prove all things (1Thess.5:21).
You appear to not want to listen to what you've already been told. And the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not for all men. It is for all Church-age believers and did not occur before the dispensation of the church began on the Day of Pentecost 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-03-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Location: Check out > Mission Printing.US (Click on Publications for bible answers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Since the baptism of the Holy Spirit is automatic during the church-age at the moment you first place your faith in Christ Jesus, there is no scripture which commands you to be baptized by the Holy Spirit. If you read Acts chapter 10 which talks about the centurion Cornelius and his household, you notice that the Holy Spirit came upon Cornelius and his household even while Peter was still speaking.

You should realize however that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not the same as the filling of the Spirit which we are commanded to be filled with as per Ephesians 5:18.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit places the believer into union with Jesus Christ and identifies us with him. Again, that is automatic at the moment of faith in Christ Jesus. There were a few exceptions at the beginning of the Church-age where for example the Samaritans didn't immediately receive the Holy Spirit until Peter and John came to them and laid hands on them as per Acts 8:14-17. The probable reason why is because the Jews hated the Samaritans and wouldn't have believed that the Samaritans had actually received the Holy Spirit unless disciples such as Peter and John came and laid hands on them. But aside from those exceptions at the beginning of the Church-age all believers are automatically baptized by the Holy Spirit at the moment of faith in Christ Jesus.

The filling of the Holy Spirit however has to do with the believer being in fellowship with God. When the believer sins he loses the filling of the Spirit until he acknowledges the sin at which point he is restored to fellowship and once again filled with the Spirit.

Again, there is no command, and no need for such a command to be baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Again, read Acts chapter 10 and notice that Cornelius and his household received the Holy Spirit even while Peter was still speaking.

Notice also that in 1 Corinthians 12:13 Paul states that we have all been baptized into one body.
1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
Because the specific ministry of the baptism of the Holy Spirit places us into union with Jesus and into the body of Christ which is a metaphor for the church which is a living organism. During the church-age every believer is baptized by the Holy Spirit into union with Jesus and into the body of Christ.

Not that I can think of at the moment in which a verse speaks of a specific individual by himself being baptized in the Holy Spirit. But again Acts speaks of Cornelius by name, along with his household, receiving the Holy Spirit which would have included being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

I hope that helps. And hopefully you know the difference between the baptism of or in the Holy Spirit which is what you asked about, and water baptism which is simply a ritual.
Michael Way - The baptism of the Holy Spirit places the believer into union with Jesus Christ and identifies us with him

Nova - Which scripture says that?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You appear to not want to listen to what you've already been told. And the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not for all men. It is for all Church-age believers and did not occur before the dispensation of the church began on the Day of Pentecost 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus.
I am not a goggle-eyed perch. I don't just swallow anything which comes along.

(1Jn 4:1) - 1Jo 4:1 ¶ Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
(KJV)

(Acts 17:11) - These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

I got about 5 serious questions I would like answered.

If my questions can be answered with the scriptures correctly I will be a member of your church before the next day.

So far no one can give me one scripture which says all men are to be baptized in the Holy Spirit or how I am supposed to even obey such a command.

It baffles me as to why one would teach these things without such a command for all to do and how to do it.

Surely I am not the only one wondering about these things.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Michael Way - The baptism of the Holy Spirit places the believer into union with Jesus Christ and identifies us with him

Nova - Which scripture says that?
Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28] here is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4] Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5] For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6] knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7] for he who has died is freed from sin. 8] Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

To be baptized into Christ is to be placed into union with him; to be united with him. A baptism is an identification. One thing is identified with another in a baptism.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I am not a goggle-eyed perch. I don't just swallow anything which comes along.

(1Jn 4:1) - 1Jo 4:1 ¶ Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
(KJV)

(Acts 17:11) - These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

I got about 5 serious questions I would like answered.

If my questions can be answered with the scriptures correctly I will be a member of your church before the next day.

So far no one can give me one scripture which says all men are to be baptized in the Holy Spirit or how I am supposed to even obey such a command.

It baffles me as to why one would teach these things without such a command for all to do and how to do it.

Surely I am not the only one wondering about these things.
Your questions were answered and scripture verses were given to back up the answers. It was plainly stated that there is no command to be baptized in the Holy Spirit because it is automatic at the moment of faith in Christ. It was pointed out to you that Cornelius and his household received the Holy Spirit while Peter was still evangelizing them, simply because they believed the Gospel message. What more do you expect?

Old 07-03-2020, 03:17 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times
Quote:
Your questions were answered and scripture verses were given to back up the answers. It was plainly stated that there is no command to be baptized in the Holy Spirit because it is automatic at the moment of faith in Christ. It was pointed out to you that Cornelius and his household received the Holy Spirit while Peter was still evangelizing them, simply because they believed the Gospel message. What more do you expect?
The Spirit of truth does not lead one denomination one way and another a different way. The Holy Spirit of Christianity is a hoax.

The Spirit of truth speaks what He hears as Jesus did.

Those who have the Holy Spirit walk in the light and believe in the light to become one in truth and spirit.

He who speaks on his own seeks his own glory but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Acts 19:1-7, for example.
Baptism by (with) Holy Spirit = enlightenment.
Immersion, submersion into Holy Spirit, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity