Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2021, 06:22 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,011,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Recently, I was in a grocery store, and a mature gentleman approached me saying that he was completing a survey. He asked me what day of the week is the 7th day? At first, I was instantly thinking that he was asking me a trick question. So, I said that it really depends on a few factors like when the month starts. If the month starts on a Monday, then the 7th day would fall on a Sunday and so on and so forth.

But he proceeded to say, "No. If it starts on a Sunday, what day would the 7th day fall?" I tell him in that case Saturday. Then he goes on to ask me, how many days did it take God to finish creating the earth?
I told him 7 days.

Then, he proceeds to tell me that God rested on the 7th day which is the Sabbath, and would I agree that the Sabbath/Saturday is a day of rest for all of us?

I told him that I don't believe that we are under the Law of keeping the Sabbath because I believe that the Sabbath day was instituted only for the Jews in the Bible, and that in the New Testament, it doesn't mandate or teach that Christians are under that same Law or requirement to keep the Sabbath.

Then, his wife walks up to me and tells me that no that is not biblical teaching. So, I look at her and I tell her read Acts 20:7 and 1Cor 16:2. Those two verses support why many Christians don't worship on Saturday. I also told her that worship is daily or should be daily done anyway. So I won't be dogmatic about worshipping on just one particular day of the week when any day of week is appropriate to the Glory of God.

Instead of her leaving it alone, the wife says to me that I must be reading and studying a Jesuit bible. I told her that I study and read many bible translations. Since God's original word isn't English, we are trusting the bible committee translators anyway to guide us in what God originally meant. I proceeded to tell her, that when it's all said and done, God is the ultimate judge, and all of us will find out whose interpretation of His word is right or wrong.

You are correct, Christians have been released from the law, Rom 10:4, they come under the law of the Christ. The sabbath is no longer a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 05:33 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,925,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
You are correct, Christians have been released from the law, Rom 10:4, they come under the law of the Christ. The sabbath is no longer a requirement.
Why is the Sabbath no longer a requirement? Who told you this? Nowhere in scripture are we told this. And ...'scripture' is the 'go to' source for this entire debate - as opposed to personal opinions - as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm a 'Bible-basher' by any means but holding to 'truths', whatever the source, isn't a bad thing.

As for your Romans 10:4 ...it's this kind of thing, i.e. exalting Paul to the position of God, that has led 'Christianity' into such disrepute by many people.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:50 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,925,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that those who have errant ideas about what the Bible says are always so persistent in trying to convince everyone that they are right. But no one gets everything right and as you say, all of us will find out whose interpretation is right or wrong.

I'm glad to see you back on the forum.

You must have missed these bible truths--all mention an accurate knowledge--- Phillipians 1:9--Collosians 1:9--1Timothy 2:4--2Timothy 3:7--Hebrews 10:26--- at least 5 more.

Are these truth or lies?

Old 12-24-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Why is the Sabbath no longer a requirement? Who told you this? Nowhere in scripture are we told this. And ...'scripture' is the 'go to' source for this entire debate - as opposed to personal opinions - as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm a 'Bible-basher' by any means but holding to 'truths', whatever the source, isn't a bad thing.

As for your Romans 10:4 ...it's this kind of thing, i.e. exalting Paul to the position of God, that has led 'Christianity' into such disrepute by many people.

The new covenant Jesus brought= Love, doing away with the old covenant.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:53 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,925,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Not true. The only thing that was nailed to the cross was the sacrificial system. Moreover, 'love' was as much a part of 'the old covenant' that present-day Christians appear to have missed.

1 John 2:24 “Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.”

I'm quoting John here because he was an actual disciple of Jesus and knew Jesus well. Paul came along later and assumed the role of 'God/Jesus' in the minds of many Christians. Christians even allow Paul to usurp the authority of 'God' and actually (though not true) abrogate the 7th-day Sabbath that was initiated by the Creator AT Creation to be 'remembered' for all time.

I'm just applying the Bible here folks. It's nothing personal.

Old 12-25-2021, 03:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,074,658 times
Quote:
Your Jesus didn’t do away with the Old Covenant, if anything, he did away with the penalties for violating the Torah…Besides that, the New Covenant is for the Houses of Judah and Israel, this is plainly spelled out in Jeremiah 31…

Old 12-25-2021, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Your Jesus didn’t do away with the Old Covenant, if anything, he did away with the penalties for violating the Torah…Besides that, the New Covenant is for the Houses of Judah and Israel, this is plainly spelled out in Jeremiah 31…

Matthew 23:38-39-- Israel is cut off, They outright refuse to do verse 39. Over 1950 years of refusal. They were Gods Chosen up until they sent the Messiah to his death. But God is loving and merciful, no matter how many x they fell. He still left the door open to them. It is they who are failing him.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Matthew 23:38-39-- Israel is cut off, They outright refuse to do verse 39. Over 1950 years of refusal. They were Gods Chosen up until they sent the Messiah to his death. But God is loving and merciful, no matter how many x they fell. He still left the door open to them. It is they who are failing him.
That’s like me writing a book that says that G-d has cut off the JWs and given the kingdom to the Mormons…There is not even a hint in the Tanakh that G-d will cut off His Chosen people, the Jews…

Old 12-25-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That’s like me writing a book that says that G-d has cut off the JWs and given the kingdom to the Mormons…There is not even a hint in the Tanakh that G-d will cut off His Chosen people, the Jews…

Matt 23:38-39 is clear on that. Jesus came specifically for the Israelites, Some followed him. After a time when the rest turned their hearts to hatred for the one God sent forth to them, Jesus told them off. Same book, Matt 23

Old 12-25-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Matt 23:38-39 is clear on that. Jesus came specifically for the Israelites, Some followed him. After a time when the rest turned their hearts to hatred for the one God sent forth to them, Jesus told them off. Same book, Matt 23
You’re getting the house (Kingdom) of Judah confused with the house (Kingdom) of Israel…So, no, it does not say that he was sent only to the Israelites, it says that he was only sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel…And the reason that he would be sent only to the house of Israel is because G-d’s New Covenant is going to be made with those two houses, Judah and Israel…It states it right there in Jeremiah 31…Nowhere in the Tanakh does G-d even hint at cutting off His people, the Jews, nor does He even hint at replacing them…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity