Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 12:54 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Let's hope we can all agree that helping the poor, sick and other disadvantaged groups was a top priority for Jesus. I don't need to quote all the Bible verses; we know them.

In our current society, what do you think is the best way to accomplish this? Granted, most churches and charity groups have addressed these societal ills as best they can, but the situation is so much bigger than they can handle.

Back in the day, charity hospitals, monks, nuns and other private groups were there to help. But those are not enough now. Yours and my charity contributions can't cut it, as appreciated as they are.

I am conflicted about whether Jesus would have us try to change society, or just dig in where we are at, and contribute on our limited local level.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Do what you can with what you have.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:24 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Do what you can with what you have.
That is all anyone can do without joining them.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:42 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Let's hope we can all agree that helping the poor, sick and other disadvantaged groups was a top priority for Jesus. I don't need to quote all the Bible verses; we know them.

In our current society, what do you think is the best way to accomplish this? Granted, most churches and charity groups have addressed these societal ills as best they can, but the situation is so much bigger than they can handle.

Back in the day, charity hospitals, monks, nuns and other private groups were there to help. But those are not enough now. Yours and my charity contributions can't cut it, as appreciated as they are.

I am conflicted about whether Jesus would have us try to change society, or just dig in where we are at, and contribute on our limited local level.

What do you think?
But those contributions came from others like us back then, too.

I think Trout's got it with "do what we can with what we have", but it does help if we look for ways that we can pool our resources. We can also look at what we already have that we're not using.

For example, I've supported City Harvest, the NYC organization that rescues food from grocery stores and restaurants and redistributes it to where it is needed throughout the city. This works well in an urban area. Too much food + people with not enough food, and they are bringing the two together. Monetary donations go to maintaining the trucks and paying people to drive them. It seems to be a win-win all around.

That won't work as well in rural or even most suburban areas. People who are isolated and need help may not be on the radar of even their neighbors. One problem sometimes is that when we "have" we are often not coming into contact with the "don't-haves". Staying aware and looking outside our own little worlds can open our eyes to those around us who need help.

I'm personally for changing society, but I'd rather it be done willingly than legislated, that we become a people who care about the have-nots just because it's the right thing to do. I remember when I took an "Alternative Amsterdam" walking tour while in the Netherlands, the tour guide showed us an area where new housing was built next to the older, traditional three-and-four-story houses and said that they had a rule that the new architecture had to fit in with the original. She mentioned that some of the newer buildings were social housing, and she said that in Amsterdam, if you are one of the wealthier people in the older homes living next door to someone in social housing and you look down upon them because they have less than you, then you are considered a jerk. I like that way of thinking. If you look down on those who have less than you do, you ARE a jerk, especially if you call yourself Christian.

If I were really The Mighty Queen, no one would go without food. I don't care if you are crazy or a criminal, everyone should eat. We have enough to feed everyone. We are shameful as a species if we deliberately withhold food from other human beings.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-28-2021 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-27-2021, 06:59 PM

1,301 posts, read 665,985 times
Quote:

In our current society, what do you think is the best way to accomplish this?
Big daddy government already does much of this, e.g. food stamps, medicaid, and welfare.
And then we have large charities to help the homeless and others.

What's left for us to do?

At this point, I'm more worried about the environmental destruction caused by over-population. Being fruitful and multiplying apparently comes with consequences.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:09 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Ever wonder why Jesus didn’t do more of feeding the poor and visiting jails. He didn’t even go see John the Baptist.

Didn’t Jesus say that God takes care of those who seek the kingdom of God?

Old 01-27-2021, 10:12 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
I am conflicted about whether Jesus would have us try to change society, or just dig in where we are at, and contribute on our limited local level.What do you think?
I think the best way is found in Jesus' illustration about the neighborly good Samaritan.
That Samaritan was demonstrating displaying practical love for a person in distress.
In other words, we are to widen out, broaden out in showing practical love on a one-on-one basis.
Only under God's kingdom government ( thy kingdom come..... ) under Christ can there be a world-wide change.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Ever wonder why Jesus didn’t do more of feeding the poor and visiting jails. He didn’t even go see John the Baptist. Didn’t Jesus say that God takes care of those who seek the kingdom of God?
Yes, seek God's kingdom first as Jesus instructed at Matthew 6:33.
I find the reason Jesus did Not do more is because it was Not time for his thousand-year reign over Earth - Luke 19:11-15
The main reason Jesus came was Not a physical reason for his being here, but a spiritual reason - Luke 4:43
A temporary patch is Not a long-lasting solution, but God's kingdom (thy kingdom come... ) is - Daniel 2:44.
We are to help on a one-on-one basis just as the neighborly good Samaritan did in showing practical love to a distressed person.
But the instruction Jesus gave was a 'spiritual assignment' to continue where he left off - Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8
This is because God's kingdom government of a thousand years is the permanent solution - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
At this point, I'm more worried about the environmental destruction caused by over-population. Being fruitful and multiplying apparently comes with consequences.
On a detailed note: In Genesis mankind was only to be fruitful and multiply until Earth was full, Not over populated.
It is overpopulation that comes with bad consequences.
And, for now un-even food distribution, etc. is a factor due to MAN dominating MAN to MAN's hurt - Ecclesiastes 8:9
However, we don't have to be un-duly worried about environmental destruction because as Revelation 11:18 b says that God will bring to ruin those ruining the Earth.
So, it is up to us to do our part (even don't litter) so we are Not classed as bringing environmental ruin or destruction to Earth.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:44 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But those contributions came from others like us back then, too.

I think Trout's got it with "do what we can with what we have", but it does help if we look for ways that we can pool our resources. We can also look at what we already have that we're not using.

For example, I've supported City Harvest, the NYC organization that rescues food from grocery stores and restaurants and redistributes it to where it is needed throughout the city. This works well in an urban area. Too much food + people with not enough food, and they are bringing the two together. Monetary donations go to maintaining the trucks and paying people to drive them. It seems to be a win-win all around.

That won't work in as well in rural or even most suburban areas. People who are isolated and need help may not be on the radar of even their neighbors. One problem sometimes is that when we "have" we are often not coming into contact with the "don't-haves". Staying aware and looking outside our own little worlds can open our eyes to those around us who need help.

I'm personally for changing society, but I'd rather it be done willingly than legislated, that we become a people who care about the have-nots just because it's the right thing to do. I remember when I took an "Alternative Amsterdam" walking tour while in the Netherlands, the tour guide showed us an area where new housing was built next to the older, traditional three-and-four-story houses and said that they had a rule that the new architecture had to fit in with the original. She mentioned that some of the newer buildings were social housing, and she said that in Amsterdam, if you are one of the wealthier people in the older homes living next door to someone in social housing and you look down upon them because they have less than you, then you are considered a jerk. I like that way of thinking. If you look down on those who have less than you do, you ARE a jerk, especially if you call yourself Christian.

If I were really The Mighty Queen, no one would go without food. I don't care if you are crazy or a criminal, everyone should eat. We have enough to feed everyone. We are shameful as a species if we deliberately withhold food from other human beings.
Ah, but you are our Mighty Queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity