Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 06:21 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

This is a short 5 minute video by Dr. Peter Enns in which he briefly discusses the fact that the Bible begins with two different and distinct creation stories which are incompatible with each other because the details conflict with each other such as the order in which man and animals are created. Listen and comment.

Let’s Talk About Genesis (and Two Creation Stories)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8D73x83dFY

And here is something to think about. In the second creation story God saw that it was not good for man to be alone. So what does God do? He creates all different kinds of animals and brings them to Adam. After seeing that none of the animals were good partners for Adam he decides to make a woman out of Adam's side.

Now did God really not know that Adam and, let's say . . . a hippopotamus, wouldn't be a good match for each other? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 06:46 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
This is a short 5 minute video by Dr. Peter Enns in which he briefly discusses the fact that the Bible begins with two different and distinct creation stories which are incompatible with each other because the details conflict with each other such as the order in which man and animals are created. Listen and comment.

And here is something to think about. In the second creation story God saw that it was not good for man to be alone. So what does God do? He creates all different kinds of animals and brings them to Adam. After seeing that none of the animals were good partners for Adam he decides to make a woman out of Adam's side.

Now did God really not know that Adam and, let's say . . . a hippopotamus, wouldn't be a good match for each other? Really?
Very Good. For obvious reasons, I especially like his conclusion in the end that the two stories convey the two different aspects of God. God as transcendent in Genesis 1 and God as immanent in Genesis 2,

Old 02-18-2021, 07:02 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,319,170 times
How would you like to have this guy teaching your kids in Sunday School?

Had to watch a second video to get a handle on him. The salvation one.

He's a snowflake buried in the UR.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Very Good. For obvious reasons, I especially like his conclusion in the end that the two stories convey the two different aspects of God. God as transcendent in Genesis 1 and God as immanent in Genesis 2,
That's something that hadn't really occurred to me, but I do agree with it. I mean, I know that the Bible does portray God as being both immanent and transcendent, but I hadn't related that to the Genesis creation stories which by the way are not the only creation stories in the Bible. There are others as well. In Psalm 74:14 God slays a multi-headed sea serpent - Leviathan which represents chaos. That's straight out of the Ugaritic Baal Cycle. That's another example of how the Bible relates to its ancient Near East environment.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
How would you like to have this guy teaching your kids in Sunday School?

Had to watch a second video to get a handle on him. The salvation one.

He's a snowflake buried in the UR.
Enns is far from alone among scholars who recognize that the Genesis creation stories are different in their details. They perhaps come from two different traditions.

He's actually become one of my favorite bible scholars though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Enns is far from alone among scholars who recognize that the Genesis creation stories are different in their details. They perhaps come from two different traditions.

He's actually become one of my favorite bible scholars though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.
I like to think that God will let us know if He wants us to know. I have my hands full finding what He has allowed us to know, it's inexhaustible.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:15 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I like to think that God will let us know if He wants us to know. I have my hands full finding what He has allowed us to know, it's inexhaustible.
But you seem to think He stopped talking to us over 2020 years ago, Charlie. Why would you think He would do something like that? I do not believe His inspirations have ever stopped, but we seem to have stopped listening. I know I wasn't listening AT ALL until He slapped me upside the head and changed my world in an instant!

Old 02-18-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
But you seem to think He stopped talking to us over 2020 years ago, Charlie. Why would you think He would do something like that? I do not believe His inspirations have ever stopped, but we seem to have stopped listening. I know I wasn't listening AT ALL until He slapped me upside the head and changed my world in an instant!
I doubt He slapped you as hard as he did me! lol

He hasn't stopped talking to us. He talks to me quit often in His Word.

He just told me yesterday in one short line in someone's post to cool it down, I don't like it.

I remember the old Charlie pretty well and he shows up from time to time, he has to reminded who he is and what he is doing.

He has many ways to communicate with us if we are listening in the Spirit. The flesh can't hear Him.

That's why Paul told us over and over again, we must walk in the Spirit.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:40 PM

17,780 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
I especially like his conclusion in the end that the two stories convey the two different aspects of God. God as transcendent in Genesis 1 and God as immanent in Genesis 2,
I think it's all well and good but my seven year old mind STILL wants to know which came first. Adam or the Animals?

Old 02-19-2021, 04:52 AM

332 posts, read 219,988 times
Quote:

I notice you really try to convince others of your individual specific views regarding creation. Why do you do this? It reminds me of vegetarians always trying to convince folks meat is no good.

I told you before it is either mankind and his baloney sandwhich or the word of the living God. I choose God. Thats it. My intellect is a slave to the Holy Spirit. You should try it and stop trying to tell us not to eat meat.

You are intellectually arrogant though. You feel we are stupid and should not, view creation as the work of God. Like you told Charlie to use his God given intelligence. You really seek to usurp folks from viewing God as the creator as he describes it in the Holy Scriptures.

You have other threads on this creation issue and other video's. Always some other phd folks to expound on destroying Gods word. To me just another baloney sandwhich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity