Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 07:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Reminds me of James’ words.

James 4

4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

That's just completely wrong mrjimmiej.

The World = Eden was - and can still be - perfect.

We are its custodians.

So far, we have used it cruelly - raping minerals and the oceans and animals - polluting air and water and soil.

We can, and must do, better. Much better.

Or we have failed whichever "God" there may be who gifted us.

Or worse, failed ourselves by limiting what we can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 08:21 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Has anyone ever considered how Hell might enlarge itself?

My opinion is that the molten lava coming out of the volcanoes is how God does it.

Someone may be able to apply some science to this for an opinion.

The Bible is rich in figurative language, aphoristic metaphor, didactic verses/poetry.

Hell does not expand terrestially. When our Sun depletes it's Hydrogen, the Earth will die, that means all living creatures will become extinct. No Earth to expand.

"Expand" in the referenced context simply means, the "visitor" #'s keep increasing, complimenting the phrase "Go to Hell", inestimatable souls have made it their permanent abode.

The "Universe is expanding", simply means it's growing a bigger belly. As known to science to date the "observable universe" is nearly 100 billion light years across, but it was not that vast after the Bing bang.

We could apply the simile "Hell is growing a bigger belly" in comparison.

"Heaven is expanding" due to visitor's checking in.

That's my analysis.

BTW, my stomach is expanding too.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:30 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
The Bible is rich in figurative language, aphoristic metaphor, didactic verses/poetry.

Hell does not expand terrestially. When our Sun depletes it's Hydrogen, the Earth will die, that means all living creatures will become extinct. No Earth to expand.

"Expand" in the referenced context simply means, the "visitor" #'s keep increasing, complimenting the phrase "Go to Hell", inestimatable souls have made it their permanent abode.

The "Universe is expanding", simply means it's growing a bigger belly. As known to science to date the "observable universe" is nearly 100 billion light years across, but it was not that vast after the Bing bang.

We could apply the simile "Hell is growing a bigger belly" in comparison.

"Heaven is expanding" due to visitor's checking in.

That's my analysis.

BTW, my stomach is expanding too.
Well, according to my view, the lakes of fire called galaxies are what hell refers to and the dark matter is not expanding but being consumed by the stars within the galaxies. What IS expanding and doing so at an ever-increasing rate is the dark energy expanding space itself which is God's consciousness which we join upon death. That paints a picture of God growing by consuming hell.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:52 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Isaiah 5:11-14

"Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.

Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.

Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it."

My opinion is that the molten lava coming out of the volcanoes is how God does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I don't believe that either hades or the lake of fire are under the earth but are both in the spiritual realm. But because of the limitation of language and understanding we tend to think of them as having physical location. But there seems to be different levels within the spiritual realm of which hades and the lake of fire would be a part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Reminds me of James’ words.

James 4

4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Isa 5:7**For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.
Woe to the Wicked
Isa 5:8**Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth!
Isa 5:9**In mine ears said the LORD of hosts, Of a truth many houses shall be desolate, even great and fair, without inhabitant.

Some things to think about is this is aimed at Gods people

The hell seems very reminiscent of Babylon - even being feminine

I agree Mike, The Spiritual realm seems to me to be about our imaginative, theological, philosophical abilities which puts us apart from the animal kingdom - it’s not about an actual space/place within time at all

Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That's just completely wrong mrjimmiej.

The World = Eden was - and can still be - perfect.

We are its custodians.

So far, we have used it cruelly - raping minerals and the oceans and animals - polluting air and water and soil.

We can, and must do, better. Much better.

Or we have failed whichever "God" there may be who gifted us.

Or worse, failed ourselves by limiting what we can be.
Yep, we (humanity) are collectively custodians of the Planet

The religious however do not understand their particular role in this responsibility

Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:

"Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.

Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.

Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it."

Well the first line of the verse perfectly describes a lot of people I do who do add on and remodels for a living.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:09 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,400 times
Quote:

Since the second resurrection is still a an event of the future, hell gets bigger every day. It is figured on avg that 150,000 die every day Charlie.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well, according to my view, the lakes of fire called galaxies are what hell refers to and the dark matter is not expanding but being consumed by the stars within the galaxies. What IS expanding and doing so at an ever-increasing rate is the dark energy expanding space itself which is God's consciousness which we join upon death. That paints a picture of God growing by consuming hell.
Under my view, hell will eventually be completely consumed and empty which is consistent with scripture.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:45 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,320,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Under my view, hell will eventually be completely consumed and empty which is consistent with scripture.
Matt.25:46

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

If eternal punishment comes to an end so will eternal life.

If that's the case, let's throw away the Bible and live like animals.

Take all we can from one another, there is no reason not to.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Matt.25:46
"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
If eternal punishment comes to an end so will eternal life.
I am satisfied with an eonian life, Charlie as long as the time being refined in Hell is eonian as well. Eonian is of unspecified duration (age-during) which makes more sense to me.
Quote:
If that's the case, let's throw away the Bible and live like animals.
Take all we can from one another, there is no reason not to.
I would have no interest whatsoever living like an animal, it would hurt my heart, Charlie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity