Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 08:52 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And human beings got rid of slavery, right?
Humans still own humans in parts of the world. So the answer is no.

Quote:
The less sexual partners one has, the lower chance of avoiding disease and heartache, no?
What does that have to do with morality of sexual purity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Humans still own humans in parts of the world. So the answer is no.

What does that have to do with morality of sexual purity?
Then why did some get rid of slavery?

Sexual purity is part of Christian teaching that is different from the mainstream, which is what you asked for, no?

Old 03-02-2021, 09:27 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Eh?...So, I should have multiple sex partners to have a higher chance of avoiding disease and heartache?...
Poor Jimmy, You know what he meant, there is a higher chance with the lesser number of sexual partners avoiding disease than there is a lower chance that they will.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
The main reason Christianity split into thousands of shards is because of the forced marriage between the old and new testaments.

BIG boo-boo.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:12 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,007,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Im reading The Case For Christ and he makes some very compelling arguments for why the Jesus of the bible is a historical figure and that the Gospels are written accurately with a legitimate interest in correctly telling the story of the life and death of Jesus.

So with that in mind, if the NT overrides the laws of the OT and created a new religion, what was the OT based on? Not historical record as there is very little from the OT that is verifiable. So is it hyperbole? Myths to teach lessons like a fairy tale or tall tale book (think Aesops fables)? Oral stories that were committed to print?

The theme of the Bible is the vindication of Jehovah's sovereignty and the fulfillment of His purpose for the earth by means of His Kingdom under Christ, the promised offspring. It is continual, and the "NT" was a different covenant, and advancement of Jehovah's purpose for His people.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:10 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
From my understanding from having spoke to orthodox Jews and to Catholics and to fundamentalists that in the new covenant of the NT, Jesus fulfilled the old laws of orthodox Judaism. Things such as not mixing fabrics or eating shellfish or meat and dairy together or observing the Shabbat. When Jesus died on the cross to absolve the world of its sins, it meant that God was acknowledging that his creation was sinful and that it was impossible to be without sin and therefore they needed a savior in order to make a path to the kingdom of Heaven.

So the Jews who (depending on who you talk to) believe that Jesus was either just a man or a prophet but not the messiah that the Torah/Old Testament tells is coming, hold the old covenants (in varying degrees) because they dont believe a savior has come to absolve them of their sin.

There seems to be so many sects of Christianity that take parts here and there to follow but if it was as cut and dried as some people say it is, then it would be Christianity, just Christianity (or Catholic as St Peter founded the church and built upon it), not Anglican, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Baptist etc etc.

Based on what I have seen/read, Catholic WOULD be the most Christlike version of the church as supposedly the 12 apostles with St Peter at it head created the home of the Catholic church followed the orders of Christ, however the corruption in the church really disturbs that role. I guess no man is truly without sin except Jesus when he wept on the cross and gave himself to the Lord while carrying the sins of the world.

Based on what i understand about the OT and what has been written here, it seems the OT is a compilation of stories and faebles which teach based on the limited world view. Take the flood for example, it probably happened, there is some historical evidence. However it was most certainly localized and not a worldwide event.

Additionally speaking on the inaccuracy of John I or Paul or the lack of "eyewitness" accounts, I agree with the book in saying that in history we accept accounts of events that were penned hundreds of years after an event as a true telling and yet we are unable to agree that something written 50 or 60 years after the resurrection is an accurate telling simply because its telling of a "supernatural" event or a miracle.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then why did some get rid of slavery?

Sexual purity is part of Christian teaching that is different from the mainstream, which is what you asked for, no?
DEFINE sexual purity, because I can guarantee you that not all Christians will agree with what it means. And even less practice whatever their branch preaches.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:26 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default If the New Testament is written accurately, whats the deal with the old testament

The schism has always been apparent to me, but I had no explanation until discovering the insights of the Kabbalah. The OT was targeted to the schoolmaster stage of the more carnal minds of our primitive ancestors and its proscriptions about developing self-discipline still apply. The NT is interpreted from the spiritual perspective of the more advanced Jewish Mystics as they tried to translate the "carnal milk" into "spiritual solid food" by explaining why self-discipline is important and to apply it motivated by agape love. The carnal motivations are not eliminated because we still have to progress spiritually beyond their need before the spiritual ones will make any sense.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:27 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
DEFINE sexual purity, because I can guarantee you that not all Christians will agree with what it means. And even less practice whatever their branch preaches.
I did, in post #17.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The theme of the Bible is the vindication of Jehovah's sovereignty and the fulfillment of His purpose for the earth by means of His Kingdom under Christ, the promised offspring. It is continual, and the "NT" was a different covenant, and advancement of Jehovah's purpose for His people.
Vindication or retaliation? For the advancement of the Jehovah Witnesses? Now, that's just ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity