Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:50 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
After our death?

Lots of conjecture. But no one knows with certainty.
I second this ^

There are things we don't know and likely never will know (the origins of the universe, etc.) Perhaps the intent is to focus instead on what we can know, including daily living and making the most of it for the benefit of family and community, just like Jesus did. Think of all his personal time with others, reassuring words, encouraging, etc. He did miracles of course, but we too can do helpful things to benefit others and make life more enjoyable, healthy, special, and meaningful.

There's a perversity to many (and the church) to spin wheels asking questions and pondering until we're doing nothing, when we should instead be rolling up our sleeves and accomplishing things. Time is short, and there's plenty of work to do.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-03-2021 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,953,414 times
Quote:
After our death? Lots of conjecture. But no one knows with certainty.
I find in the Bible that Jesus knows with certainty.
Jesus likened death to sleep according to John 11:11-14.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach ' sleep in death '.
( Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 )

So, ' after our death ' the hope is: waking up on Resurrection Day.
Resurrection Day meaning Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years - Acts 24:15
Since we can't resurrect oneself or another we need someone who can resurrects us from death's deep sleep.
According to the Bible Jesus can and will resurrect the dead - Revelation 1:18.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There are things we don't know and likely never will know (the origins of the universe, etc.) .................................
There's a perversity to many (and the church) to spin wheels asking questions and pondering until we're doing nothing, when we should instead be rolling up our sleeves and accomplishing things. Time is short, and there's plenty of work to do.
Interesting ^ above ^ because Jesus also believed there's plenty of work to do.- Luke 4:43
Declare the good news about God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) on a vast international scale -> Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
This is why Jesus instructed at Matthew 9:36-38 to take the good news (gospel) to spiritually injured people.
Injured by false clergy who do Not teach Bible truth / religious truth as Jesus believed Scripture to be - John 17:17.
That is why Jesus pronounced many ' woes ' in chapter 23 of Matthew against those false religious leaders.
The harvest is great and the workers are few.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:22 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
This topic has probably been talked about but I want to bring it back up.

There are people who died were several minutes and then were revised and talk about their souls going to hell and seeing crowds of people screaming.

Then there are stories of people who say they have visions of their loved ones or mediums who have contact with "energies" of other people's loved ones who seem to be doing ok in the afterlife.

I wonder....when you die, do you go into another realm and look after your loved ones on earth? Or do you really go to heaven or hell? There are nuns and priests in the Catholic church who tell stories of having visions of specific angels from heaven who say pray to God or else hell awaits those who insult God.

Makes me wonder.....there's so much confusion that goes on when it comes to what will happen to us after we die....does God (or whatever you want to call it) give us a chance to see the truth before we die? Religious people would say God already gives us a chance by providing us with the bible. All we have to do is read it. Problem is.....even the bible is hard to read and interpret. You don't know if you are reading and interpreting it the right way.
As it is written;

“The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets.â€

Old 03-03-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
As it is written;
“The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants the prophets.â€
Good point ^ above ^ because since the Bible is based on its corresponding cross-reference verses and passages is how God reveals His secrets.

Jesus by often referring back to the old Hebrew Scriptures on which to base his teachings when he often prefaced his statements with the words, "it is written....." shows us that Jesus then explains or expounds Scripture for us.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:53 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I second this ^

There are things we don't know and likely never will know (the origins of the universe, etc.) Perhaps the intent is to focus instead on what we can know, including daily living and making the most of it for the benefit of family and community, just like Jesus did. Think of all his personal time with others, reassuring words, encouraging, etc. He did miracles of course, but we too can do helpful things to benefit others and make life more enjoyable, healthy, special, and meaningful.

That is the way I see it as well. I have no idea what's going to happen and I've made plenty of mistakes in my past. Today I gave $20 to a guy who had a sign asking for money. Trying to atone.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:57 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,664 times
Quote:
After our death?

Lots of conjecture. But no one knows with certainty.
Yes, that's true, no one can be absolutely certain, but some conjectures are more reason-based than others.

Your perspective is an interesting one, in that you've had a near death experience which has left you with certainty that there is more to life and death than we are able to parse via our five recognized senses.

You went further, though, and expressed your own conjecture that people will judge themselves at life's end.
Do you think this because you personally experienced this self-judgement during your own NDE, and what is your reasoning to believe that everyone will have the same experience that you had?
Quote:
You will judge yourself at life's end. You will face your life review and it won't be fun. You will experience shame and sorrow at your misdeeds. If you racked up a lot of them, that shame and sorrow may last a very long time.

I suspect that for some, the pain they experience may seem eternal.

Conversely, if you've been a good little Trout, you'll get off with a wee scolding for the naughty stuff before getting a pat on the back and moving on to the next adventure.

Btw, I didn't read this in an old book. I learned it by near-drowning as a child.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Yes, that's true, no one can be absolutely certain, but some conjectures are more reason-based than others.

Your perspective is an interesting one, in that you've had a near death experience which has left you with certainty that there is more to life and death than we are able to parse via our five recognized senses.

You went further, though, and expressed your own conjecture that people will judge themselves at life's end.
Do you think this because you personally experienced this self-judgment during your own NDE, and what is your reasoning to believe that everyone will have the same experience that you had?
Trout is spot on about self-judgment and that will be far worse than any so-called judgment of God. I am convinced we will reap EXACTLY what we have sowed though I am uncertain how that will occur. I am convinced it will be equal - no more and no less.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Your perspective is an interesting one, in that you've had a near death experience which has left you with certainty that there is more to life and death than we are able to parse via our five recognized senses..................
In Scripture I find Jesus absolutely certainly claimed the dead sleep.
Someone with a ' near death experience ' is Not a 4-day dead person.
Jesus resurrected or restored back to life a 4-day dead person - John 11:11-14
That demonstrates that there is more to life and death that we are able to parse.....
More to death because of the Resurrection Hope that 'there is going to be' a resurrection.... Acts 24:15

Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
In Scripture I find Jesus absolutely certainly claimed the dead sleep.
Someone with a ' near death experience ' is Not a 4-day dead person.
Jesus resurrected or restored back to life a 4-day dead person - John 11:11-14
That demonstrates that there is more to life and death that we are able to parse.....
More to death because of the Resurrection Hope that 'there is going to be' a resurrection.... Acts 24:15
There are various understandings, based on scripture. What about the thief on the cross and what Jesus told him?

Here's a good summary of Christian beliefs about the topic...
What happens after death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOPax9Hivw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity