Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 03:06 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times

Advertisements

The basic dichotomy is: the OT god is an insane, bungling, mass murderer and Jesus isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 03:10 PM

13,446 posts, read 7,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I reject the notion that God required a sacrifice to appease His wrath. I accept that He expected Jesus to be sacrificed to the wrath and vengeance of our savage and brutal ancestors. Do You actually believe that the scourging and crucifixion were remotely pleasing to God????
No, I don't believe Jesus enjoyed being scourged and crucified - nor do I believe the Father took pleasure in seeing it happen. What was pleasing to God was Christ's sacrificial act.

Christ took on himself the penalty for sin, i.e. suffering and death, and offered Himself as a sacrifice to the Father - that's why Christ is described as both Priest and Victim.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,156,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Pretty sure we've been over this. Read all of chapter 5 and you'll see it really doesn't say what you're thinking it says.
possibly,
so, you now what training one's senses is, right? somehow all remember well elementary parts of teaching but one that makes one post elementary is not that popular.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:42 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
I reject the notion that God required a sacrifice to appease His wrath. I accept that He expected Jesus to be sacrificed to the wrath and vengeance of our savage and brutal ancestors. Do You actually believe that the scourging and crucifixion were remotely pleasing to God???? What kind of God do you claim to love??? Don't you see that in your answer you actually refer to Christ's agape love as pleasing God, NOT the sacrifice of His blood to appease God's wrath? Which makes more sense to you as the likely reaction of a loving God who, as Jesus said, IS agape love?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
No, I don't believe Jesus enjoyed being scourged and crucified - nor do I believe the Father took pleasure in seeing it happen. What was pleasing to God was Christ's sacrificial act.
Christ took on himself the penalty for sin, i.e. suffering and death, and offered Himself as a sacrifice to the Father - that's why Christ is described as both Priest and Victim.
What penalty for sin are you talking about? The wages of sin is death and we all die eventually, so that can't be it. So what penalty are you talking about? Do you actually think God is so impotent that He cannot simply forgive us for ANYTHING He wants? You cannot possibly mean the fact that our newly created progenitors disobeyed instructions when they had no way of knowing there would be anything wrong with doing so (No knowledge of Good or Evil)? What penalty????

t

Old 05-12-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
What penalty for sin are you talking about? The wages of sin is death and we all die eventually, so that can't be it. So what penalty are you talking about?
God became a man and suffered and died in solidarity with every human who ever lived. Yes, death is the penalty for sin, which God in the person of Jesus took upon Himself.

Quote:
Do you actually think God is so impotent that He cannot simply forgive us for ANYTHING He wants?
Of course God can forgive us. He is very gracious, and DOES forgive us for ANYTHING He wants. He is also merciful and gracious enough to give us the means to hear the words of absolution with our own ears.

As I've said many times before - Christ's sacrifice was not for God's benefit, but for our own. We needed to offer sacrifice to God. God never needed anything from us. We needed redemption. God did not need for us to be redeemed.

Quote:
You cannot possibly mean the fact that our newly created progenitors disobeyed instructions when they had no way of knowing there would be anything wrong with doing so (No knowledge of Good or Evil)? What penalty????
They knew the penalty. See Genesis 2:17. Adam was without excuse.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:51 PM

11,713 posts, read 3,577,360 times
Quote:

Quote:
What penalty for sin are you talking about? The wages of sin is death and we all die eventually, so that can't be it. So what penalty are you talking about? Do you actually think God is so impotent that He cannot simply forgive us for ANYTHING He wants? You cannot possibly mean the fact that our newly created progenitors disobeyed instructions when they had no way of knowing there would be anything wrong with doing so (No knowledge of Good or Evil)? What penalty????
Mystic, you and mike are basically looking at it from totally different perspectives and those can not be compared to each other

Mike is a Roman Catholic and belongs to the body of the church

You are looking at it from your own individual Perspective

Mat 1:21**And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mat 1:22**Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
Mat 1:23**Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Mat 1:24**Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
Mat 1:25**And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

A problem happens when you mix the different levels up, or add them together

It creates illogical things like eternal/infinite torment for finite beings

Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
t
Christ Jesus came to show people One True God not 'Mad God'.
The false church emerged to maintain image of 'Mad God'.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
God became a man and suffered and died in solidarity with every human who ever lived. Yes, death is the penalty for sin, which God in the person of Jesus took upon Himself.

Of course God can forgive us. He is very gracious, and DOES forgive us for ANYTHING He wants. He is also merciful and gracious enough to give us the means to hear the words of absolution with our own ears.

As I've said many times before - Christ's sacrifice was not for God's benefit, but for our own. We needed to offer sacrifice to God. God never needed anything from us. We needed redemption. God did not need for us to be redeemed.

when God modified Adam's CNS at some point Adam understood meaning of impending death of physical body, it not that Adam was deathless, just did not understand what it meant until he became introspective.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:07 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Then why do we still die????
Quote:

Why did we need to offer sacrifice to God if God didn't need it? Jesus redeemed a promise of God to send us a messenger who would reconcile us savages to God, NOT reconcile God to us.
Quote:
If they did not know Good or Evil (Right or wrong) until AFTER they acted, how could they possibly have known about any penalty.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Then why do we still die????
We still sin. The curse of sin still exists until the consummation.

Quote:
Why did we need to offer sacrifice to God if God didn't need it? Jesus redeemed a promise of God to send us a messenger who would reconcile us savages to God, NOT reconcile God to us.
Because we're the ones who broke fellowship with God. The burden was on us to repair it. We couldn't do it, only God could. That's why God became a man and did it for us. God was under no obligation to save us, but He did out of His own goodness and mercy.

Quote:
If they did not know Good or Evil (Right or wrong) until AFTER they acted, how could they possibly have known about any penalty.
God commanded them not to eat the fruit, yet they did. It seems pretty straightforward to me. God told them that if they ate the fruit, they would die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity