Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 05:06 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Thanks.
Two questions:

Do you believe that violence is ever justified?

Do you believe that animal sacrifice served no purpose?
Is violence ever justified between YOUR children?

What conceivable purpose could killing an innocent animal serve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 07:38 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,843,028 times
The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are one and the same God (James 2:19).

Old 05-05-2022, 08:51 AM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is false equivalence, as the Hebrews and the gentiles were not on equal footing. In no sense could the
Old Testament gentiles be said to be "children of God".

Quote:
Caloric intake, for one.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are one and the same God (James 2:19).
True, but for a CHRISTian the BELIEFS ABOUT HIM as revealed by Jesus CHRIST are NOT!!!!!

Old 05-05-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:
This is false equivalence, as the Hebrews and the gentiles were not on equal footing. In no sense could the Old Testament gentiles be said to be "children of God".
We believe in a very different God, Mike. Such capriciousness and favoritism among His offspring are unimaginable to me. That it is acceptable to you is troubling.
Quote:
Caloric intake, for one.
I assumed you would provide a serious answer. My mistake!

Old 05-05-2022, 01:31 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,843,028 times
Quote:
True, but for a CHRISTian the BELIEFS ABOUT HIM as revealed by Jesus CHRIST are NOT!!!!!
God is concealed in the OT and revealed in the NT.

However, you can get an accurate understanding of who God is by studying who He is in the OT.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
We believe in a very different God, Mike. Such capriciousness and favoritism among His offspring are unimaginable to me. That it is acceptable to you is troubling.
There's nothing capricious about it. Also, humans are not God's offspring. Like begets like, and we are not gods. We are His creation. Just as circumcision was the sign of entrance into God's old covenant community, now it is through baptism that we become His adopted sons.

Quote:
Quote:
Caloric intake, for one.
Quote:
I assumed you would provide a serious answer. My mistake!
This goes to the whole concept of sacrifice, and why it is right and just for humans to offer sacrifice to God. A sacrifice that costs us nothing is no sacrifice at all. Animals have (especially in the ancient world) real value. To offer the source of our sustenance to God as a sacrifice is to give Him something of real, tangible value. The purpose is mainly to rightly order ourselves before God - to understand our proper place in creation, and to publicly and tangibly acknowledge that everything we have comes from and belongs to God.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
There's nothing capricious about it. Also, humans are not God's offspring. Like begets like, and we are not gods. We are His creation. Just as circumcision was the sign of entrance into God's old covenant community, now it is through baptism that we become His adopted sons.

This goes to the whole concept of sacrifice, and why it is right and just for humans to offer sacrifice to God. A sacrifice that costs us nothing is no sacrifice at all. Animals have (especially in the ancient world) real value. To offer the source of our sustenance to God as a sacrifice is to give Him something of real, tangible value. The purpose is mainly to rightly order ourselves before God - to understand our proper place in creation, and to publicly and tangibly acknowledge that everything we have comes from and belongs to God.
I would not have expected our perspectives to be so completely at variance as they are. I do not resonate with ANY of your perspectives about God. The God I encountered has NONE of the characteristics you seem to ascribe to Him. It is very troubling. That is an awful way to see yourself and your relationship with God, IMO. Peace.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:40 AM

683 posts, read 205,660 times
Quote:

We're made in the very image of God, how can you say humans are not God's offspring? He breathes life into each human at birth. We even judge the angels as well. In regard to sacrifices...Do you think God enjoyed when that innocent animal was slaughtered , not out of necessity or food? Ask a farmer if any of his animals have personalities. Not trying to sound naive but why would God need a dead animal? He does not need penance from mankind, only mercy is required.

Hosea 6:6

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-5 View Post
We're made in the very image of God, how can you say humans are not God's offspring?
Because we're literally not. I am the offspring of my human mother and father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity