Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM

105 posts, read 350,691 times

Advertisements

"The bright light gets brighter."

**“The interpretation of prophecy, therefore, is not from man, but is from Jehovah; and Jehovah causes events to come to pass in fulfillment of the prophecy in due time.”—The Watchtower, May 1, 1938. p. 143**

1894- “We see no reason for changing the figures — nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God’s dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble.” —Zion’s Watch Tower, July 15, 1894, p. 226

1914: “...the ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty’ (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth’s present rulership, is already commenced.” —The Time Is At Hand, 1889, p. 101

1915: “...the ‘battle of the great day of God Almighty’ (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of earth’s present rulership, is already commenced.” —The Time Is At Hand, 1917 edition, p. 101

1918: “Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions, it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of ‘Christianity.’ ” —The Finished Mystery, 1917, p. 485

1925: “...1925 shall mark the resurrection of the faithful worthies of old ....based upon the promises set forth in the divine Word, we must reach the positive and indisputable conclusion that millions now living will never die.” —Millions Now Living Will Never Die, 1920, p. 97

“These angels are invisible to human eyes and are there to carry out the orders of the Lord. Not doubt they first hear the instruction which the Lord issues to his remnant and then these invisible messengers pass such instruction on to the remnant. The facts show that the angels of the Lord with him at his temple have been thus rendering service unto the remnant since 1919.” —Vindication III, 1932, p. 250

1940’s: “It would therefore appear that there is no reasonable or Scriptural injunction to bring children into the world immediately before Armageddon, where we now are.” —The Watchtower, November 1, 1938, p. 324

1973- “Consider, too, the fact that Jehovah’s organization alone, in all the earth, is directed by God’s holy spirit or active force.... That same holy spirit and angelic direction still affect the preaching activities of Christian ministers.” —The Watchtower, July 1, 1973, pp. 402, 405

1972- “Jehovah, the God of the true prophets, will put all false prophets to shame either by not fulfilling the false prediction of such self-assuming prophets or by having his own prophecies fulfilled in a way opposite to that predicted by the false prophets. False prophets will try to hide their reason for feeling shame by denying who they really are.”—Paradise Restored to Mankind —By Theocracy!, Watch Tower Society, 1972, pp. 353-354

1975: “Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end.” —Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3

"The Source of all true prophecy is Jehovah God. He transmits it by means of his holy spirit or, occasionally, by spirit-directed angelic messengers.” —Insight on the Scriptures, vol. 2, 1988, p. 691

Care to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 12:56 AM

756 posts, read 2,568,726 times
I guess the catholics are off the hook for a while.....(humor)

Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,338,464 times
Sorry, draw me a picture, are you trying to say these verses mean that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones who are right with respect to their interpretation of the bible??

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,590,351 times
These JW prophecies have a failure rate similar to TBN's!

blessings,
- Byron

Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Sorry, draw me a picture, are you trying to say these verses mean that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones who are right with respect to their interpretation of the bible??
Oh my God, no. No, no no no no! If you notice, the post describes a bunch of false prophecies that never came true, and these were all taken directly from the JW's own literature. In response to your question, they have distorted the scriptures so much that it's one of the largest organizations of false prophecy and "scripture distorting" that I've ever encountered. (See: post on Jehovah's Witnesses and Johannes Greber the Occultist)

They used the interpretation taken from Johannes Greber as their basis for believing that God and Jesus are not one in the same. They believe that Jesus was not God. Their Bible translation of John 1:1 says "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was A GOD." They added the letter "A" at the end of the scripture and this came from the translation written by Johannes Greber, a man who consulted demons to have them (the demons) explain the meaning of the scripture to him.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM

In other words, the JW's prophecied the end of the worl;d (Armageddon) in:
1914, 1915, 1918, 1925 and 1975. Now see the comments taken from their own books as proof of their prophecies. They also claimed they were directed by the Holy Spirit to make such prophecies. Considering they never came true, what would that mean they're saying about the Holy Spirit? That It/God lies?

Note that now the Watchtower Society claims it has "quit fixing dates", that they are not inspired by God, and no one else is either. (hahaha) However, I just saw on a website that they are leading some to assume that 2034 (?) could mark the end of the world because they once again changed their calculations on what a "generation" means (taken from the scripture that determines the 'end' to be once a generation has passed."

Incidentally, they also teach that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BC. Every other place you look states it was destroyed in 586-587 BC, which changes the date of 1914 in their teachings. See below:

The Watchtower Reprints, October 1890, p. 1243: "The Millennium of peace and blessing would be introduced by forty years of trouble, beginning slightly in 1874 and increasing until social chaos should prevail in 1914."
The Watchtower Reprints, January 15, 1892, p.1355: The date of the close of that ‘battle’ is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874.

*** Awake! October 8 1968 pp. 14-15 *** "… only seven more years from the autumn of 1968 to complete 6,000 full years of human history. That seven-year period will evidently finish in the autumn of the year 1975… Concerning political instability, former U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson said in 1960: 'I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in 15 years from today (or, by 1975), this world is going to be too dangerous to live in.' .. [Chart] 1975 C.E. END OF 6,000 YEARS .. In the book Famine - 1975! food experts W. and P. Paddock state: .. 'I forecast a specific date, 1975, when the new crisis will be upon us in all its awesome importance.'"

Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM

706 posts, read 1,236,931 times
Thank you for posting this info, I hope AliceNevada will read this and see that I have already said about the JW religion is true and is even backed up by their very own literature.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,839,921 times
They won't believe you!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 PM

706 posts, read 1,236,931 times
I know they won't, but at least non-JW's who may be reading this will see just how manipulative the JW religion is, and hopefully steer clear of it.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,393,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
I know they won't, but at least non-JW's who may be reading this will see just how manipulative the JW religion is, and hopefully steer clear of it.
Eventhough I don't agree with the JW's reasoning or theology. I do pray for them, just as I am hoping all of you who don't agree with them should be doing as well. I have tried to start threads myself to get them or anyone who DOESN'T study God's word to start, at least thinking about what their religion or what they believe or interpret God's word to be.

We shouldn't be taking anyone's viewpoint, MINE INCLUDED, on God's Word nor anyone who sounds like he or she is making sense over carfully EXAMINING the Scriptures for ourselves just like the Bereans in Acts 17:11.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the Life, and it's still so unfortunate that some Christians, through their religions, think that you can leap frog over Jesus to get to Heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity