Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 09:04 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Without another word from me lest I be accused of being full of bull-crap here are words from the Bible that address the thread question. There are many more but here are a few:

John 5:28; Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice.

1 Corinthians 15: 51-55; Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.[/i]

[u]55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.

14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Philippians 3:20-21: For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

2 Timothy 4:8; “Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Please discuss the above scriptures and leave ME out of it.

I realize that there are any number of people who will side with you on this Michael because they're as brainwashed by their cherished denominations as you are. That said, "I" have no game. "I" only know what the Bible has to say regarding the answer to your thread question. "I" never said that Paul made a mistake. "I" said that YOU were the one who has made the mistake. Yes, I agree ...Paul DID believe that he would go to heaven and be with the Lord when he died. HOWEVER, this would NOT BE until the resurrection of the dead at Jesus' return. This voluntary blindness of you and yours that you cannot see those many scriptures that tell you this is quite telling.
We are all partially blind, and not totally blind I believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:04 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Without another word from me lest I be accused of being full of bull-crap here are words from the Bible that address the thread question. There are many more but here are a few:

John 5:28; Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice.

1 Corinthians 15: 51-55; Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.[/i]

[u]55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.

14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Philippians 3:20-21: For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

2 Timothy 4:8; “Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”

1 Corinthians 15:51-54 51Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

54So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Please discuss the above scriptures and leave ME out of it.

I realize that there are any number of people who will side with you on this Michael because they're as brainwashed by their cherished denominations as you are. That said, "I" have no game. "I" only know what the Bible has to say regarding the answer to your thread question. "I" never said that Paul made a mistake. "I" said that YOU were the one who has made the mistake. Yes, I agree ...Paul DID believe that he would go to heaven and be with the Lord when he died. HOWEVER, this would NOT BE until the resurrection of the dead at Jesus' return. This voluntary blindness of you and yours that you cannot see those many scriptures that tell you this is quite telling.
You were never in it to began with. You are way, way out of it. Totally divorced from the reality of things pertaining to the afterlife. Paul said 'absent from the body.' Therefore he was not referring to resurrection. Resurrection as N. T. Wright puts it is life after life after death. Resurrection comes after the intermediate state and this is what the Bible teaches. The fact that you won't accept it doesn't change it.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
I believe the Scriptures speak more to that of death, rather than the immortality of the soul.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I believe the Scriptures speak more to that of death, rather than the immortality of the soul.
I believe it has many layers... and yep, thou we all walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will (or should not) feel (Or concentrate) on the evil ......

Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You were never in it to began with. You are way, way out of it. Totally divorced from the reality of things pertaining to the afterlife. Paul said 'absent from the body.' Therefore he was not referring to resurrection. Resurrection as N. T. Wright puts it is life after life after death. Resurrection comes after the intermediate state and this is what the Bible teaches. The fact that you won't accept it doesn't change it.
Keep attempting to beat that dead horse in your frustration, Michael.

(Geez, I hate that expression)

I can do no more than having presented a few of many scriptures that should answer the OP's initial question. But, as I predicted would happen in an earlier post, these scriptures have been COMPLETELY IGNORED!

However, animosity from the OP who asked the question has occurred BECAUSE of the said scriptures that have clearly caused extreme discomfort and frustration when those scriptures offer proof that one's cherished beliefs - beliefs that they may have held all of their lives - are shown to be erroneous.

I have no particular dog in this fight. I just jump in on topics that I may be able to contribute something of worth. What happens when a person dies hardly ever enters my mind unless the subject is raised. I have no first hand experience with regard to what happens after death so I can only turn to scriptures for the answers. And, that's exactly what I have done.

So, Michael, if you can't handle legitimate scriptural answers to your question on a Christian sub-forum simply because they were not what you wanted to hear then you should probably not ask the question to begin with.

Incidentally, since most Christians appear to believe that they are a part of the 'new covenant' then why do they carry that burden-some Bible around anyway? Since the contents of the Bible don't amount to a hill of beans in this 'day of grace', then why not simply toss it? Why do they even attend a church that is supposed to support the contents of a book that is no longer required? How many Christians actually follow the commands of the Bible in any way that would be different from that of the non-Christian? Those are legit questions, by the way but maybe for a different thread.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Keep attempting to beat that dead horse in your frustration, Michael.

(Geez, I hate that expression)

I can do no more than having presented a few of many scriptures that should answer the OP's initial question. But, as I predicted would happen in an earlier post, these scriptures have been COMPLETELY IGNORED!

However, animosity from the OP who asked the question has occurred BECAUSE of the said scriptures that have clearly caused extreme discomfort and frustration when those scriptures offer proof that one's cherished beliefs - beliefs that they may have held all of their lives - are shown to be erroneous.

I have no particular dog in this fight. I just jump in on topics that I may be able to contribute something of worth. What happens when a person dies hardly ever enters my mind unless the subject is raised. I have no first hand experience with regard to what happens after death so I can only turn to scriptures for the answers. And, that's exactly what I have done.

So, Michael, if you can't handle legitimate scriptural answers to your question on a Christian sub-forum simply because they were not what you wanted to hear then you should probably not ask the question to begin with.

Incidentally, since most Christians appear to believe that they are a part of the 'new covenant' then why do they carry that burden-some Bible around anyway? Since the contents of the Bible don't amount to a hill of beans in this 'day of grace', then why not simply toss it? Why do they even attend a church that is supposed to support the contents of a book that is no longer required? Those are legit questions, by the way.
It is all about interpretation and development

You will find that dedication amongst all religious people’s (not just the Christians)

Old 07-09-2021, 11:23 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
We are all partially blind, and not totally blind I believe
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I cant see.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
It is all about interpretation and development.
Then Michael should spend more time interpreting - or RE-interpreting - those scriptures to educate me into his belief rather than aiming his frustration and hostility at me. I'm not exactly stupid and those scriptures speak quite clearly to me without any extra man-made interpretations thrown into the mix.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I cant see.
Yeah, me too

Old 07-10-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Then Michael should spend more time interpreting - or RE-interpreting - those scriptures to educate me into his belief rather than aiming his frustration and hostility at me. I'm not exactly stupid and those scriptures speak quite clearly to me without any extra man-made interpretations thrown into the mix.
He is doing his own research in the areas that interest him

As you do

It seems to me Everyone gets into a variety of “modes” with the Scriptures:- defend, attack, abandon, or research

I’m not really interested in telling people what they “should” do, that’s up to each individual

We can not individually know everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity