Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So why did you start the thread? I've already given you the scriptural answer as to where the dead go when they die. What else do you want? The dead cease to exist, they go to the grave which could mean their being buried in the ground, placed in a mausoleum, drowned at sea or cremated. If all you want are fables then, of course, you're free to have at it.

* I realize that I come across as arrogant but I simply don't understand WHY or HOW Christians can be so misled by the teaching of others when the Bible (their supposed reference book) is so clear as to what happens when a person dies. Moreover, anything in the Bible that comes after the Gospel of Jesus Christ really DOES need to be questioned for accuracy.
corpses go to the grave, not people, certain portion of soul-spirit continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
So why did you start the thread? I've already given you the scriptural answer as to where the dead go when they die. What else do you want? The dead cease to exist, they go to the grave which could mean their being buried in the ground, placed in a mausoleum, drowned at sea or cremated. If all you want are fables then, of course, you're free to have at it.

* I realize that I come across as arrogant but I simply don't understand WHY or HOW Christians can be so misled by the teaching of others when the Bible (their supposed reference book) is so clear as to what happens when a person dies. Moreover, anything in the Bible that comes after the Gospel of Jesus Christ really DOES need to be questioned for accuracy.
I stated why I started the thread though not until post 13.

Arrogant is right. And ignorant of what the Bible says about the subject. But this isn't the thread that I care to debate it. And as I said, I've been over it with you before. Get over yourself and listen to Heiser's comments in the video. He's far more educated on the topic then you will ever be.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:40 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
corpses go to the grave, not people, certain portion of soul-spirit continue.
Offer scripture to back that up.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Offer scripture to back that up.
e.g. "Divine for me by a spirit and bring up for me whomever I shall name to you."
Witch of En-dor case. Prohibition of divination is a proof that it was possible and practiced.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:07 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I stated why I started the thread though not until post 13.
Your question can only be answered from scripture. Where else are we to look? And, that question has already been answered from scripture. And, there are many scriptures that all need to come together just like a jigsaw (it's time consuming) rather than to take the opinion as stated by a "doctor" (<sigh>) in a 5-minute video. The dead are dead and will remain that way until the resurrection. See, I even avoided the word 'sleep' since that word appears to irk you somewhat.

Quote:
Arrogant is right.
I already admitted this ...no need to rub it in. Anyway, it's not so much arrogance but confidence. I read the scripture piece by piece and arrive at a conclusion. I don't know, maybe the scriptures are wrong. They certainly don't tally with the way-out beliefs of many Christians pertaining to the state of the dead.

Quote:
And ignorant of what the Bible says about the subject. But this isn't the thread that I care to debate it.
So, if you're not after a debate or a discussion initiated by a question are you here simply to have people agree with you and your video? Okay, it seems that most agree. I don't. Now what?

Quote:
And as I said, I've been over it with you before. Get over yourself . . .
Get over myself? What have i done wrong? I didn't write the Bible. I'm not giving MY opinions here, Michael.

Quote:
. . .and listen to Heiser's comments in the video.;
I heard NO scriptural knowledge from the man. I heard a typical mainstream Christian opinion. I don't agree that the man's take on the topic is scriptural. How many times to I have to say that?

Quote:
He's far more educated on the topic then you will ever be.
Well, clearly he isn't educated on the topic or he'd be in agreement with scripture. He isn't. By the way, the prefix "Doctor" to one's name means nothing. I also have a 'doctorate'.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:19 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Your question can only be answered from scripture. Where else are we to look? And, that question has already been answered from scripture. And, there are many scriptures that all need to come together just like a jigsaw (it's time consuming) rather than to take the opinion as stated by a "doctor" (<sigh>) in a 5-minute video. The dead are dead and will remain that way until the resurrection. See, I even avoided the word 'sleep' since that word appears to irk you somewhat.

I already admitted this ...no need to rub it in. Anyway, it's not so much arrogance but confidence. I read the scripture piece by piece and arrive at a conclusion. I don't know, maybe the scriptures are wrong. They certainly don't tally with the way-out beliefs of many Christians pertaining to the state of the dead.

So, if you're not after a debate or a discussion initiated by a question are you here simply to have people agree with you and your video? Okay, it seems that most agree. I don't. Now what?

Get over myself? What have i done wrong? I didn't write the Bible. I'm not giving MY opinions here, Michael.

I heard NO scriptural knowledge from the man. I heard a typical mainstream Christian opinion. I don't agree that the man's take on the topic is scriptural. How many times to I have to say that?

Well, clearly he isn't educated on the topic or he'd be in agreement with scripture. He isn't. By the way, the prefix "Doctor" to one's name means nothing. I also have a 'doctorate'.
So anyone who doesn't agree with you doesn't agree with scripture? You're too damned full of yourself to be able to learn from anyone.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:21 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
* I realize that I come across as arrogant but I simply don't understand WHY or HOW Christians can be so misled by the teaching of others when the Bible (their supposed reference book) is so clear as to what happens when a person dies.
If it were really as clear as you insist it is, we'd all agree, Romulus. Nobody who's posting here is arguing their position just for the hell of it. All of us are interpreting the Bible as best we can, and it's altogether possible that you're the one who's misled. Heck, none of us have experienced death, so none of us can say for sure. Why can't we all just express our interpretations without getting frustrated that other people read the same scriptures and understand them differently? Since none of us can actually prove we're right, is it really something we ought to be so contentious over?

Old 07-06-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
e.g. "Divine for me by a spirit and bring up for me whomever I shall name to you."
Witch of En-dor case. Prohibition of divination is a proof that it was possible and practiced.
https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13563-sheol

allow me a question, are you Adventist, Romulus?

Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If it were really as clear as you insist it is, we'd all agree, Romulus. Nobody who's posting here is arguing their position just for the hell of it. All of us are interpreting the Bible as best we can, and it's altogether possible that you're the one who's misled. Heck, none of us have experienced death, so none of us can say for sure. Why can't we all just express our interpretations without getting frustrated that other people read the same scriptures and understand them differently? Since none of us can actually prove we're right, is it really something we ought to be so contentious over?
Well said Katzpur

Old 07-07-2021, 05:21 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
The body goes into the grave or is otherwise disposed of. The soul of the believer goes into the presence of the Lord as Paul stated and as shown in the book of Revelation chapters six and seven.

satan said you positively will not die, Jehovah said you will die. The Bible clearly defines death, nothing lives on. The resurrection of all those who are not of the 144k will begin after the Kingdom comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity