Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 06:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But the Christian HELL is not reality. Neither is much of what you believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Not how they have perceived it with their imaginations- no

Hell, hades, lake of fire are literary devices that are used to explain certain religious/theological things.

In Romans we are told that the wise come fools because of how they use their imaginations/thoughts
Vain=
G3154***(Strong)
ματαιόω
mataioō
mat-ah-yo'-o
From G3152; to render (passively become) foolish, that is, (morally) wicked or (specifically) idolatrous: - become vain.

Imaginations =

G1261***(Strong)
διαλογισμός
dialogismos
dee-al-og-is-mos'
From G1260; discussion, that is, (internal) consideration (by implication purpose), or (external) debate: - dispute, doubtful (-ing), imagination, reasoning, thought.

Rom 1:21**Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22**Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23**And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
I agree, their foolish hearts were/are darkened by their vain thoughts/imaginations without reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:05 PM

63,843 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
What part of John 14:26 and John 16:13 is against the principle of God's agape love; other than the fact that it indirectly substantiates all of holy scripture (which you say is against that principle)?
Neither. They substantiate what I have been advocating. You should be using the Holy Spirit (Comforter) as your guide, NOT the UNTESTED writings in the Bible. Jesus did not say He would send you a Bible. Nowhere in those verses are we told the Bible will guide us. You test the spirit of nothing written in the Bible against the Holy Spirit.

John 14:26 King James Version
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13 King James Version
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he he shall teach you all things and will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

To be guided by the Holy Spirit you must be in one or more of the following states of mind:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

IF you are NOT in those states of mind you are NOT being guided by the Holy Spirit. If you are in the OPPOSITE states of mind, you should be very concerned about what spirit is actually guiding you!!!

Old 07-15-2021, 08:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Neither. They substantiate what I have been advocating. You should be using the Holy Spirit (Comforter) as your guide, NOT the UNTESTED writings in the Bible. Jesus did not say He would send you a Bible. Nowhere in those verses are we told the Bible will guide us. You test the spirit of nothing written in the Bible against the Holy Spirit.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he he shall teach you all things and will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

To be guided by the Holy Spirit you must be in one or more of the following states of mind:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

IF you are NOT in those states of mind you are NOT being guided by the Holy Spirit. If you are in the OPPOSITE states of mind, you should be very concerned about what spirit is actually guiding you!!!
Unfortunately, many do not use the Scriptures for reproof and correction in their lack of righteousness.
In other words, they are unable to discern the differences, and have not the guidance of the true Spirit.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Unfortunately, many do not use the Scriptures for reproof and correction in their lack of righteousness.
In other words, they are unable to discern the differences, and have not the guidance of the true Spirit.
Sadly, all too true, Jer!

Old 07-16-2021, 01:29 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:

The point that I see in the scriptures in question, is that Jesus said that He would guide the apostles into all truth, and would teach the apostles, and would bring to their remembrance all of His teachings.

This indicates that Peter, who was an apostle, would remember Jesus' teachings, would be taught by the Holy Spirit, and would be guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit.

So, his writings are inspired and are a passing down of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Peter substantiated Paul's writings in 2 Peter 3:15-16.

And Paul substantiated the rest of holy scripture in 2 Timothy 3:15-17.

I would ask you again how 2 Timothy 3:15-17 is inconsistent with God's agape love; other than that fact that it substantiates all of holy scripture which you say is not consistent with that love.

What is wrong with that passage as a singular passage? What about it is inconsistent with the agape love of our Lord Jesus Christ; when you isolate it as a passage and look at it on its own?

Old 07-16-2021, 02:10 AM

MysticPhD,

I pray that when you go to the word to read of the Lord in your devotional times, that He will testify to you by His Spirit as concerning every verse that you read, as to whether it is inspired by Him or not.

I believe that because of this prayer, in due time you are going to come to the conclusion that,

2Ti 3:16, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17, That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The point that I see in the scriptures in question, is that Jesus said that He would guide the apostles into all truth, and would teach the apostles, and would bring to their remembrance all of His teachings.

This indicates that Peter, who was an apostle, would remember Jesus' teachings, would be taught by the Holy Spirit, and would be guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit.

So, his writings are inspired and are a passing down of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Peter substantiated Paul's writings in 2 Peter 3:15-16.

And Paul substantiated the rest of holy scripture in 2 Timothy 3:15-17.

I would ask you again how 2 Timothy 3:15-17 is inconsistent with God's agape love; other than that fact that it substantiates all of holy scripture which you say is not consistent with that love.

What is wrong with that passage as a singular passage? What about it is inconsistent with the agape love of our Lord Jesus Christ; when you isolate it as a passage and look at it on its own?
You are not reading what I actually say. Your mind is closed to anything but your manmade beliefs that everything in the Bible MUST be scripture. What I am telling you is that it DOES CONTAIN scripture, but you must properly divide the scriptures from the distortions and corruptions of men. You do that by testing what is claimed against the Holy Spirit as revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus.

You are either too lazy or just unwilling to do that so you blindly accept everything as scripture. I do not deny 2 Timothy 3:15-17 that scripture is true, but I do deny that everything in the Bible is scripture! You are deliberately blind and leading others to the same blindness.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
You are not reading what I actually say. Your mind is closed to anything but your manmade beliefs that everything in the Bible MUST be scripture. What I am telling you is that it DOES CONTAIN scripture, but you must properly divide the scriptures from the distortions and corruptions of men. You do that by testing what is claimed against the Holy Spirit as revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus.

You are either too lazy or just unwilling to do that so you blindly accept everything as scripture. I do not deny 2 Timothy 3:15-17 that scripture is true, but I do deny that everything in the Bible is scripture! You are deliberately blind and leading others to the same blindness.
It says in 2 Timothy 3:15-17 that all scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

The definition for scripture being "that which is written".

I do believe that, according to verse 15, the Holy Bible is what I would consider to be "holy scripture" which is able to make us wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus.

Since we know that "the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom" (Job 28:28), those scriptures which produce the fear of the LORD would be among the scriptures that we would call "holy scripture".

So then, the scriptures which warn us of the impending doom of hell are included in what we consider to be holy scripture; since such scriptures are very usable in the effort to produce the fear of the LORD.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
It says in 2 Timothy 3:15-17 that all scripture is inspired of the Lord and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.

The definition for scripture being "that which is written".

I do believe that, according to verse 15, the Holy Bible is what I would consider to be "holy scripture" which is able to make us wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus.

Since we know that "the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom" (Job 28:28), those scriptures which produce the fear of the LORD would be among the scriptures that we would call "holy scripture".

So then, the scriptures which warn us of the impending doom of hell are included in what we consider to be holy scripture; since such scriptures are very usable in the effort to produce the fear of the LORD.
Fear of the Lord WAS the beginning of wisdom for our savage ancestors. The goal of wisdom is agape love of God and each other as Jesus unambiguously demonstrated. Fear casts out love and is counterproductive to the goal of agape love. Agape love casts out all fear. What you are doing is anti-Christ because it is counter to the Good News Gospel of Jesus Christ.

IMO, you are preaching the Bad New Gospel of Satan and I worry that it will have negative consequences for you in the next life. Fortunately, I know our loving Father so whatever negative consequences you face will NOT be eternal. However, you do carry the extra burden of all those you have led astray from the love of God and each other as well. I am deeply saddened by all this.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:30 PM

While perfect love casts out all fear that is not the fear of the Lord, fear does not cast out love anywhere in scripture.

As a matter of fact, we find in Hebrews 11:7 that fear is something that can co-exist with faith.

Also; in Job 28:28, the fear of the LORD is not "the beginning of" wisdom; it IS wisdom.

This would indicate that those who do not have the fear of the LORD are fools.

Consider also the following scripture.

1Pe 1:17, And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity