Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Why are you specifying KJV? Do you think that is the only real inspired version?

I had a thread asking about the KJV prevalence even in our modern times with better, more accurate versions.

As an example, my sister is a PhD linguist and has translated the Bible into Quechua. You can bet they did not start with the KVJ. They went directly from Greek and Hebrew, and translated into the common vernacular of the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
JBF believes only the kjv is infallible unadulterated word of God and he hates the original languages
He has no interest in learning or questioning what it is that he has actually been taught to believe.
And will not accept the fact that the King James has a multitude of linguistical errors and alterations.

Apparently, he speaks only English and doesn't see the point in comprehending other languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I don't think that's true, though I guess it depends on how you define "wrath".

Certainly it is right and just for evil to be punished. What if we just defined the act of punishing evil as "wrath"?
That depends on how you define justice or what is evil?

Old 07-24-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is the point. God does not want vengeance, period! WE exact vengeance. God does not. That is why He does not want us to seek it. He "repays" with true justice. We will reap EXACTLY whatever we sow, EXACTLY, no more and no less. But it is self-inflicted consequences, NOT a punishment imposed by God. Besides, God can do what we cannot, balance the scales for the victims of evil as well.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:03 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
“ Souls that are imperfect but not irredeemable go through a cleansing purgatory, while truly evil souls are permanently destroyed — at least according to one interpretation. But the afterlife has never really been a focus of Judaism. While such beliefs may provide some hope to people that there is cosmic justice overall, Judaism doesn’t really view these views as helpful with regards to one’s own individual behavior; one’s behavior should not be out of a fear of hell, but because we value doing what is right in and of itself, because of our love for others, for parents, for family, for community, and for God — not because of the afterlife. Although the behavior is more important than the underlying motivation, doing good only in order to avoid hell and not because of an intrinsic desire to do the right thing, to act justly, to create a better society, etc. suggests a bad motivation.” - https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing...WlzLW5vLWhlbGw

And to add to that, Noach, Avraham, Moishe, etc....

And this:

“ Although the behavior is more important than the underlying motivation, doing good only in order to avoid hell and not because of an intrinsic desire to do the right thing, to act justly, to create a better society, etc. suggests a bad motivation”” - I see a most Christians being Christians because of a desire not to go to hell...
Ecc 12:13, Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14, For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Every work being brought to judgment indicates an afterlife in which there will be eternal reward for things done in the body (whether good or bad).

This is mentioned in Ecclesiastes which is primarily a text of Judaism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Why are you specifying KJV? Do you think that is the only real inspired version?

I had a thread asking about the KJV prevalence even in our modern times with better, more accurate versions.

As an example, my sister is a PhD linguist and has translated the Bible into Quechua. You can bet they did not start with the KVJ. They went directly from Greek and Hebrew, and translated into the common vernacular of the people.
If she translated it out of the Received Text (from which we get the kjv), then all is well.

However, the Alexandrian text omits words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, even entire passages from the pages of holy scripture; and therefore those who follow such translations are in spiritual danger (see Revelation 22:18-19).

Quote:
JBF believes only the kjv is infallible unadulterated word of God and he hates the original languages
I never said that I hated the original languages. I believe that looking at them can be useful.

However, my contention is that the common people, who receive Jesus gladly, read the Bible in their own language while the educated scribes and Pharisees, who rejected Jesus, are likened unto the Greek and Hebrew scholar of today who makes strifes over words (1 Timothy 6:4, 2 Timothy 2:14) to no profit and to the subverting of the hearers.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:24 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Ecc 12:13, Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14, For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Every work being brought to judgment indicates an afterlife in which there will be eternal reward for things done in the body (whether good or bad).

If she translated it out of the Received Text (from which we get the kjv), then all is well.

However, the Alexandrian text omits words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, even entire passages from the pages of holy scripture; and therefore those who follow such translations are in spiritual danger (see Revelation 22:18-19).

I never said that I hated the original languages. I believe that looking at them can be useful.

However, my contention is that the common people, who receive Jesus gladly, read the Bible in their own language while the educated scribes and Pharisees, who rejected Jesus, are likened unto the Greek and Hebrew scholar of today who makes strifes over words (1 Timothy 6:4, 2 Timothy 2:14) to no profit and to the subverting of the hearers.
yup and that was the Hebrew and Greek, NOT English

Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Richard1965 again.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
nicely said Richard

Old 07-25-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well explained, Richard!
Thanks...

Old 07-25-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
God’s law is for those with agape life.

“Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness and your law is the truth”

“The words I spoke to you are spirit and life.”

“He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God.”

The righteous walk in truth and the upright keep the law of the LORD!
You missed the point...

Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post

And your point is?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity