Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 08:19 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times

Advertisements

Only God could answer that; we can only guess. It seems that he's not into material locations, and hasn't been for millenia. As with many areas, much changed with the arrival of Jesus and the Holy Spirit. What is inward (i.e. with the soul) appears to be the holy area and focus. It's not necessary to look elsewhere. We often tend to confuse special areas (such as old churches, etc.) with holiness, when it's more about uniqueness in appearance and atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:23 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Lots of places holy to man, but only where the Holy Spirit is worthy to dwell is Holy to God!
I agree that the "holy places" on the planet are designated so by humans. Places like Lindisfarne and and the holy well sites in England were originally spiritually significant places to the those who lived there before Christianity.

You never know. Maybe there ARE places on the planet where the veil is thinner, as many claim.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:35 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,322,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree that the "holy places" on the planet are designated so by humans. Places like Lindisfarne and and the holy well sites in England were originally spiritually significant places to the those who lived there before Christianity.

You never know. Maybe there ARE places on the planet where the veil is thinner, as many claim.
I agree it's possible, but not likely. Jerusalem was the Holy Place of all places until Ezekiel witnessed the departure of the Holy Spirit from the temple, and He has never returned.

As I was speaking to Richard on another thread, He will return in the future and Israel will be the Holy place of all the world!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I agree it's possible, but not likely. Jerusalem was the Holy Place of all places until Ezekiel witnessed the departure of the Holy Spirit from the temple, and He has never returned.

As I was speaking to Richard on another thread, He will return in the future and Israel will be the Holy place of all the world!
I'm sure you didn't read the article I posted on Lindisfarne, but since you are obsessed with scripture, I thought you might find this part of it interesting:

Lindisfarne Gospels

At some point in the early 8th century, the now-famous illuminated manuscript known as the Lindisfarne Gospels, an illustrated Latin copy of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, was made, probably at Lindisfarne, with the artist possibly being Eadfrith, who later became Bishop of Lindisfarne. It is also speculated that a team of illuminators and calligraphers (monks of Lindisfarne Priory) worked on the text; however, their identities are unknown. Sometime in the second half of the 10th century, a monk named Aldred added an Anglo-Saxon (Old English) gloss to the Latin text, producing the earliest surviving Old English copies of the Gospels. Aldred attributed the original to Eadfrith (bishop 698–721). The Gospels were written with a good hand, but it is the illustrations, done in an insular style containing a fusion of Celtic, Germanic and Roman elements, that are considered to be of the most value. According to Aldred, Eadfrith's successor Æthelwald was responsible for pressing and binding it, before it was then covered with a fine metal case made by a hermit known as Billfrith.[39] The Lindisfarne Gospels now reside in the British Library in London, a location which has caused some controversy amongst some Northumbrians.[43] In 1971, professor Suzanne Kaufman of Rockford, Illinois presented a facsimile copy of the Gospels to the clergy of the island.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you didn't read the article I posted on Lindisfarne, but since you are obsessed with scripture, I thought you might find this part of it interesting:

Lindisfarne Gospels

At some point in the early 8th century, the now-famous illuminated manuscript known as the Lindisfarne Gospels, an illustrated Latin copy of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, was made, probably at Lindisfarne, with the artist possibly being Eadfrith, who later became Bishop of Lindisfarne. It is also speculated that a team of illuminators and calligraphers (monks of Lindisfarne Priory) worked on the text; however, their identities are unknown. Sometime in the second half of the 10th century, a monk named Aldred added an Anglo-Saxon (Old English) gloss to the Latin text, producing the earliest surviving Old English copies of the Gospels. Aldred attributed the original to Eadfrith (bishop 698–721). The Gospels were written with a good hand, but it is the illustrations, done in an insular style containing a fusion of Celtic, Germanic and Roman elements, that are considered to be of the most value. According to Aldred, Eadfrith's successor Æthelwald was responsible for pressing and binding it, before it was then covered with a fine metal case made by a hermit known as Billfrith.[39] The Lindisfarne Gospels now reside in the British Library in London, a location which has caused some controversy amongst some Northumbrians.[43] In 1971, professor Suzanne Kaufman of Rockford, Illinois presented a facsimile copy of the Gospels to the clergy of the island.
No, I don't read those things, studied much of it in school, but don't remember most of it now.

This doesn't ring a bell, and I don't doubt it happened just as said. What I doubt is what it meant to God.

Of course you know if I can't find it in scripture, I consider it wasn't intended by God for us to know.

He went to much trouble to deliver to us the Authorized Version, KJV and I have studied in detail how it originated, that's where I stand when it comes to scripture.

Some, or probably most will not agree with that, and that's ok too! I have what I need to find my way home!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Viewed in a different way, if our minds are appreciative and reverent, we can turn any place into a 'holy' place where we can especially connect with God.

He's waiting on us to want quality time with him, not just have us go to some physical spot where things easily happen. It takes effort on our part; not some easy and automatic approach where we're just backseat passengers going along for the ride. We're to be in the front seat.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-12-2021 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
No, I don't read those things, studied much of it in school, but don't remember most of it now.

This doesn't ring a bell, and I don't doubt it happened just as said. What I doubt is what it meant to God.

Of course you know if I can't find it in scripture, I consider it wasn't intended by God for us to know.

He went to much trouble to deliver to us the Authorized Version, KJV and I have studied in detail how it originated, that's where I stand when it comes to scripture.

Some, or probably most will not agree with that, and that's ok too! I have what I need to find my way home!
I see you didn't actually read it (big surprise! LOL), but for the benefit of those who do enjoy knowledge, it's fascinating that there's a surviving copy of the gospels made in an obscure, remote place in the 8th century, LONG before there was a King James or his authorized version of the Bible in the English spoken in the early 17th century.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:58 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Yes. Every Catholic Church is holy because Jesus Christ is present there physically inside the tabernacle in the form of bread.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:31 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, there's nowhere on earth I can sense the presence of the divine like I do when I'm serving down at the Salt Lake Metropolitan Jail!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I see you didn't actually read it (big surprise! LOL), but for the benefit of those who do enjoy knowledge, it's fascinating that there's a surviving copy of the gospels made in an obscure, remote place in the 8th century, LONG before there was a King James or his authorized version of the Bible in the English spoken in the early 17th century.
So here we go, who did God give the inspiration for scripture?

Well, you see it your way and I see it mine.

If that's scripture for you then get a copy and follow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity