Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 01:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

50,000 plus and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 03:06 PM

48 posts, read 26,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you saying that those states of mind are somehow ambiguous enough that one can be in one of those states of mind and still accept interpretations that are NOT compatible? I suppose it is possible. We humans are quite perverse, but I doubt that 40k such misinterpretations would be possible.
Having 40k denominations is proof there are at least 40k disagreements over at least one thing.

You had Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli themselves each going their own ways on several issues but they also agreed on other doctrinal issues, then what they started had their church splits, and on and on until now.

Point is, how can each of them claim to hear from the Holy Spirit 100% of the time? Do you have an answer for that?

Old 07-17-2021, 03:12 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Mack View Post
Having 40k denominations is proof there are at least 40k disagreements over at least one thing.

You had Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli themselves each going their own ways on several issues but they also agreed on other doctrinal issues, then what they started had their church splits, and on and on until now.

Point is, how can each of them claim to hear from the Holy Spirit 100% of the time? Do you have an answer for that?
They are NOT testing their interpretations against those states of mind that characterize the Holy Spirit so they cannot be guided by the Holy Spirit.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:17 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
There will be no one but Jesus to decide who lived under His Lordship come judgment day. Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Old 07-17-2021, 03:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
I'm not Catholic, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

However, I married into a Catholic family, so I don't really understand the attachment to a service that next to no one understands. Can a Catholic provide insight, outside of tradition, on why this is to theologically important without linking to some YouTube video? A short explanation will do.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There will be no one but Jesus to decide who lived under His Lordship come judgment day. Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Thanks, but that contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:00 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I have read the OP three times, and I can't make head nor tail of what it means. Is there a summary available for people who are not part of the RCC?

I like Francis, but probably for reasons for which some criticize him.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:19 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have read the OP three times, and I can't make head nor tail of what it means. Is there a summary available for people who are not part of the RCC?

I like Francis, but probably for reasons for which some criticize him.
It is entirely about the ambiance and zeitgeist of an earlier time in Catholicism, MQ. The removal of Latin from the celebration of the Mass and the recitation in English simply does not create the same ambiance and some people miss it.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:36 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is entirely about the ambiance and zeitgeist of an earlier time in Catholicism, MQ. The removal of Latin from the celebration of the Mass and the recitation in English simply does not create the same ambiance and some people miss it.
The language difference between the old mass and the new is the least of the differences. In fact, the new mass can be celebrated in Latin as well.

Like I said earlier, this is very much an "inside baseball" discussion.

The aesthetic or "ambiance" is also one of the least significant differences.

Critics of the new mass (and I admit to being one) have problems with how "Protestantized" it is. Though the new mass is valid in the sense that it "gets the job done", i.e. it still offers the Sacrifice and conveys grace, it is done so in a way that can be ambiguous and misleading. It also gives each individual Priest too much liberty. It can therefore obfuscate the true meaning of the mass depending on the Priest's personality and tastes.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:41 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm not Catholic, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

However, I married into a Catholic family, so I don't really understand the attachment to a service that next to no one understands. Can a Catholic provide insight, outside of tradition, on why this is to theologically important without linking to some YouTube video? A short explanation will do.
Your claim that "next to no one understands" the old mass is a common but false objection. It's also a lazy one. Everyone I've ever known who has attended the old mass very much understands that its purpose is to worship and offer sacrifice to God. It is very obvious that Christ's sacrifice is the central purpose.

Whether one can understand the Latin is immaterial. Even so, missals are available to anyone who wants one that provide translations of all of the Latin. That's why the objection that "no one can understand it" is a lazy one. It's very easy to follow along and even learn it if one attends regularly, as all Catholics are required to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity