Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:47 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,665 times

Advertisements

Background

I'm a member of a mainline church in the US. It's in an affluent, well-educated community. There are some very successful and very educated people in the congregation, and the church belongs to a denomination whose members, as surveys show, are among the most highly educated of any religious group in the US. Members of the clergy all have at least one graduate degree, and some have PhDs or multiple graduate degrees. Thus the congregation and the clergy is capable of handling matters that are intellectually rigorous.

Problem: Church is "Fluff"

However, so many church services and other activities are light "fluff". For example, Sunday worship services involve only one passage of Scripture, and the sermon is about 20 minutes and may have a few minutes talking about the passage, but usually consists of the pastor's views (based on his or her own experiences, and other books and articles that the pastor has read) about life, and life in relation to the passage. Only sometimes is there an in-depth analysis of the passage.

Further, Sunday services are often as short as 40 minutes. We're told to "return good for evil" and we can certainly think about the passage and the sermon and see how it applies to our lives, but there's no clear instruction of "do this this week in order to grow in your faith".

So church activities are intellectually fluffy and there's no clear instruction to change our lives by putting the Bible to practice.

So the only reason I see to go is to see friends and to spend time in community with God. I don't learn much and the church doesn't require me to transform my life.

Question: Better if Church Were More Rigorous and Demanding?

What if church activities were significantly more intellectually challenging; for example, what if Sunday services took up an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes, with 20 minutes spend with a detailed analysis of at least one Bible passage? And what if the church required its members to do specific things to remain part of the community, such as do X hours of homeless ministry per month, or be part of a rigorous accountability group? That might drive a lot of people away, but for those who would take part, wouldn't that make church much more effective?

If church were more intellectually challenging, and if church were more demanding that its members put their faith into action to change their lives, wouldn't that be better? Couldn't that help churches grow, since then there would be a clear consequence from attendance, and there would be a clear reason to go?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 08:09 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Background

I'm a member of a mainline church in the US. It's in an affluent, well-educated community. There are some very successful and very educated people in the congregation, and the church belongs to a denomination whose members, as surveys show, are among the most highly educated of any religious group in the US. Members of the clergy all have at least one graduate degree, and some have PhDs or multiple graduate degrees. Thus the congregation and the clergy is capable of handling matters that are intellectually rigorous.

However, so many church services and other activities are light "fluff". For example, Sunday worship services involve only one passage of Scripture, and the sermon is about 20 minutes and may have a few minutes talking about the passage, but usually consists of the pastor's views (based on his or her own experiences, and other books and articles that the pastor has read) about life, and life in relation to the passage. Only sometimes is there an in-depth analysis of the passage.

Further, Sunday services are often as short as 40 minutes. We're told to "return good for evil" and we can certainly think about the passage and the sermon and see how it applies to our lives, but there's no clear instruction of "do this this week in order to grow in your faith".

So church activities are intellectually fluffy and there's no clear instruction to change our lives by putting the Bible to practice.

So the only reason I see to go is to see friends and to spend time in community with God. I don't learn much and the church doesn't require me to transform my life.

What if church activities were significantly more intellectually challenging; for example, what if Sunday services took up an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes, with 20 minutes spend with a detailed analysis of at least one Bible passage? And what if the church required its members to do specific things to remain part of the community, such as do X hours of homeless ministry per month, or be part of a rigorous accountability group? That might drive a lot of people away, but for those who would take part, wouldn't that make church much more effective?

If church were more intellectually challenging, and if church were more demanding that its members put their faith into action to change their lives, wouldn't that be better? Couldn't that help churches grow, since then there would be a clear consequence from attendance, and there would be a clear reason to go?

Thanks.
You bring up an important point (bolded, above).
Q. In your understanding of the bible/gospel, Does Jesus call you to transform your life?

Old 07-22-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
You bring up an important point (bolded, above).
Q. In your understanding of the bible/gospel, Does Jesus call you to transform your life?

Well, of course He does.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Background

Thanks.
I think we're putting the cart before the horse. Don't confuse "member" with "attender". Those churches tend to try to draw a crowd, and then they think they're doing good by having lots of people.

I think church membership would be higher if there were more Christians. Christians know church is important, and they go. And they seek out churches where they can learn about Jesus. The Bible doesn't really talk about Christians that don't care to fellowship with other Christians, or to learn about God.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:18 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,900 times
I am also a member of a mainline Protestant church, and our services are 1 hour long, with 2 scripture readings and a ~30 minute message/sermon. There is Sunday School before the main service for children and adults for those who want more discussion and depth. I think it's awful to have "requirements" for church members to attend, but I am an very "open and affirming" advocate.

Tell me, OP: what have you done to bring more depth, diversity, insight, etc. to your church? Would you be willing to head up a Bible study or other adult education group, organize community service programs, etc.? If so, what have you done to make that happen?

Old 07-22-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I am also a member of a mainline Protestant church, and our services are 1 hour long, with 2 scripture readings and a ~30 minute message/sermon. There is Sunday School before the main service for children and adults for those who want more discussion and depth. I think it's awful to have "requirements" for church members to attend, but I am an very "open and affirming" advocate.

Tell me, OP: what have you done to bring more depth, diversity, insight, etc. to your church? Would you be willing to head up a Bible study or other adult education group, organize community service programs, etc.? If so, what have you done to make that happen?

I've:

1. Served as an officer for over a decade.
2. Been on the leadership team for one sub-group within the church (with weekly meetings).
3. Offered to organize mission trips (the pandemic ended that), and participated in several mission trips.
4. Served as a youth advisor.
5. Spend hours doing homeless outreach, meals on wheels and other volunteer work.

What I've learned is that "fixing" things in the church requires being on the relevant committee AND having the support of the pastors AND having the support of people who the pastors like. Otherwise, there's no point in even saying anything.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:39 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Some churches do seek to be more advanced, more varied, more intellectual (Unitarian, Quaker, probably others). They just tend to receive less attention and numbers. But... it should be about quality not quantity. Better to follow the narrow path of the enlightened, than the wide path of the many and the worldly.

We have a choice. We don't have to just go to the big, shiny, loud churches. By our choices, we could lead to a change. In the end, the people speak. The majority might speak foolishly, but the issue is more with the general people / church goers, than the churches per se. If the people don't change, the churches certainly won't either. We mostly see compromise and laziness. One might be better off alone, or in small groups - making spiritual, mental, and social progress - than just another faceless body in a sea of churchgoers.

Again, we shouldn't be looking for numbers (membership, etc.) Numbers don't lead to anything in themselves. Jesus and the early followers made a big impact in small numbers. Only the world chases after and depends on numbers and attention like that.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-22-2021 at 09:50 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 09:49 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Background

Thanks.
I think that the Bible should be taught verse-by-verse, and some churches do teach in that manner. All I can say is that those people who are interested in verse-by-verse exegetical teaching of the Bible will attend such a church if one is available in their area. But people who prefer 'fluffy services' will go to that kind of church.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I think that the Bible should be taught verse-by-verse, and some churches do teach in that manner. All I can say is that those people who are interested in verse-by-verse exegetical teaching of the Bible will attend such a church if one is available in their area. But people who prefer 'fluffy services' will go to that kind of church.
Better statement of what I was trying to say above. Well said.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:33 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Most of us don't want to be challenged. Most of us don't want to change (or see any need for change).

Most of us just want to be affirmed in what we're already doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity