Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:10 PM

63,841 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you slum it around here? I believe you've said you don't identify as a Christian. So why do come here only to harass and to spout off stuff contrary to what the Bible says? I just can't fathom why you'd care so much.

No, I'm not suggesting anyone isn't welcome. I just am curious
I have never said any such thing, BF. I don't come here to harass. I come to spout off stuff compatible with the unambiguous revelation and demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus Christ as described in the Bible. In my view, I am more Christian than those who follow a wrathful, vengeful God because that is NOT how Christ presents Himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 01:31 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
A (born again) Christian is someone who has received the gift of righteousness that God has given through the propitiation of Christ dying on the Cross in his place and for his sins, in order to bring him forgiveness of sins.

A (born again) Christian is someone who has been forgiven of his sins through what Christ did for him on the Cross.

A (born again) Christian is someone who has the righteousness of Christ imputed to him because his sins were imputed to Christ when Christ died on the Cross in his place.

If anyone does not have faith in Christ dying in his place, he is not a "born again" Christian.

While I will abide by my previous statement that anyone who says to the real Jesus, "Lord, Lord" is a Christian...in order that we may keep our definitions broad enough that we may not be persecuted by the powers that be.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
A (born again) Christian is someone who has received the gift of righteousness that God has given through the propitiation of Christ dying on the Cross in his place and for his sins, in order to bring him forgiveness of sins.

A (born again) Christian is someone who has been forgiven of his sins through what Christ did for him on the Cross.

A (born again) Christian is someone who has the righteousness of Christ imputed to him because his sins were imputed to Christ when Christ died on the Cross in his place.

If anyone does not have faith in Christ dying in his place, he is not a "born again" Christian.

While I will abide by my previous statement that anyone who says to the real Jesus, "Lord, Lord" is a Christian...in order that we may keep our definitions broad enough that we may not be persecuted by the powers that be.
::Sigh:: As usual in some dogma-driven translations, they ignore even obvious indications of the true meaning using the many alternative possible meanings of the words.

John 3:3-4 King James Version (KJV)

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

born again = gennaō anōthen

gennaō = conceived, begotten
anōthen = from the beginning (over again)

This version is clearly confirmed as born over again (reborn) by the second verse from Nicodemus.

John 3:6-8 (King James Version)
6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

I would like any one of the "born again" Christians in their physical bodies to "bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth" because "so is every one that is born of the Spirit."

These passages suggest that we will be born over again after our death as a Spirit because we obviously cannot be born all over again as a Spirit while still in our mortal body. That which is born of Spirit is Spirit. No one can flit about like the wind in their physical bodies.

This is contrary to your beliefs that you are “born again” while still alive in your mortal body. This after-death concept is reinforced in 1 Corinthians 15:36:

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-05-2021 at 03:22 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 03:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have never said any such thing, BF. I don't come here to harass. I come to spout off stuff compatible with the unambiguous revelation and demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus Christ as described in the Bible. In my view, I am more Christian than those who follow a wrathful, vengeful God because that is NOT how Christ presents Himself.
My humble apologies. I will try to remember that and won't suggest you have identified otherwise.

it's interesting that you believe you're "more Christian" than others here. The Bible really doesn't talk about Christians as a progression of "more Christian" or "less Christian". One either is or isn't.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:39 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
My humble apologies. I will try to remember that and won't suggest you have identified otherwise.

it's interesting that you believe you're "more Christian" than others here. The Bible really doesn't talk about Christians as a progression of "more Christian" or "less Christian". One either is or isn't.
But depending on what part of the systems of Christianity that one has been brought up in there is this “inbred” biased view that your type Is more Christian than another type - this has been playing out over the past 2000 years with the splitting up into an ever greater number of “denominations”

Old 08-05-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:

It is not complicated, BF. My version of God is more compatible with the True Nature of God's Holy Spirit of agape love unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus on the Cross. That makes it more CHRISTian than the wrathful and vengeful version you follow, IMO. YMMV

Old 08-05-2021, 04:11 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Apostle Paul viewed himself as the least among his fellow believers. Just sayin’.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:

imo, he is "more Christian" than many others. I mean understanding what Christianity is about.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The Apostle Paul viewed himself as the least among his fellow believers. Just sayin’.
Darn! I failed Jimmie's humility test.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:58 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Yes, if you don't mind, I would be interested, thanks. I still do not quite understand the death of the spirit Adam experienced. How can a body be without spirit? Isn't a soul a body and spirit ?
Ok I will see if I can find it, I know we spoke of it on CD but I believe we actually started the long debate on tentmaker. I would like to find the start as I believe that is where most of your questions are related to.

As to this question

Quote:
I still do not quite understand the death of the spirit Adam experienced. How can a body be without spirit?
The spiritual death has nothing to do with our physical body, soul and spirit it is speaking of the law which is spiritual and a ministration of death. The law is really cool when you start to contemplate on it and apply it to the scriptures.

It is spiritual
It is a ministration of death
It is a schoolmaster
It leads us to Christ
It gives us the knowledge of good and evil or sin
Some are under the law (spiritually dead)
Some the law has no power over (spiritually alive)
It is the wrath of God
and so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity