Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 12:41 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,411,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Everyone has the right to their opinion.
the question is , is their opinion right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 12:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,335,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
the question is , is their opinion right?
Now that is a reasonable question! Many tears have passed my cheeks in prayer to God for the truth.

My prayer is that I don't allow the will of Charlie to interfere with that truth!

Jer. 17:9

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

I know who I am, saved but possessing a sinful nature, born-again but capable of anything when I take my eyes off my Saviour!

Old 08-20-2021, 12:58 PM

13,733 posts, read 8,035,442 times
Quote:
In other words teaching eternal torment is teaching against the perfect love of God as it teaches humanity to fear God instead of love and reverence him.
This is a false dichotomy. We can simultaneously fear God and love and reverence Him.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Now that is a reasonable question! Many tears have passed my cheeks in prayer to God for the truth.

My prayer is that I don't allow the will of Charlie to interfere with that truth!

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

I know who I am, saved but possessing a sinful nature, born-again but capable of anything when I take my eyes off my Saviour!
on that we can agree charlie, everyone is in the same boat in that regards. as to regarding your scripture the answer is God, he sees our wicked ways and will change those ways via the holy spirit.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:06 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Jeremiah applied to our ancestors' hearts PRIOR to Jesus's death on the Cross that sent His Holy Spirit to abide with us as the Comforter, Charlie! Our hearts have the advantage over our ancestors that we have the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." But we must be in those states of mind to use that advantage. When we are in the states of mind of God's Holy Spirit of agape love (however imperfectly), we can see the truth God has written there. You really should try it and apply it to your scripture reading, because your focus on the OT keeps you under the veil of ignorance about God's wrath blinding you to the truth.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This is a false dichotomy. We can simultaneously fear God and love and reverence Him.
not according to the scriptures mike for perfect love casteth out fear.

It is only our old man nature that fears God mike for it is not subject to the laws of God and neither can be.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:11 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,074,454 times
Quote:

It is only our old man nature that fears God mike for it is not subject to the laws of God and neither can be.
The Scriptures also tell us that fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:

You can't just pull a Scripture out and create a doctrine around it. That's a recipe for chaos and is not the intended use of Scripture.

Case in point: Denominationalism

Scripture has to be read and interpreted in light of the Tradition of the Church.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Exactly.

You can pick out a verse here or there and give seemingly valid backing for just about any view you want to espouse. That's not what Scripture is for.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
why oh why do you guys keep looking a fear instead of reverence/respect?

Which makes more sense to you guys

the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

or

the reverence/respect of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom

Tell me why do you fear the Lord if you are covered by His blood and your sins have been cast into the lake of forgetfulness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity