Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 09:57 AM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The point of Jesus' teachings on that is humility. It is a heart condition and those who actually understand it had it revealed to them because of their heart. Jesus spoke in parables for those childlike ones to understand
Great point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The roots of compassion and goodness of life are in the soil of love that is watered daily.

Your words are a paintbrush.
(as always.)

Old 08-17-2021, 12:53 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Your words are a paintbrush.
(as always.)
Your posts are a blessing, sparrow. So good to see you posting again.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
1 Corinthians 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.

In other words:
"I talked like a child. Thought like a child. Reasoned like a child. Pure love, simple truths are easy to understand without all of the baggage.
Then I grew up and abandoned those thoughts.....and the simple truth.
For NOW that I have done so. Now that I have abandoned those things, and left them behind, I NOW see God less clearly. I see God NOW as only like a cloudy reflection in a mirror."

Matthew 19:14 -
But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.”

The gospel (GOOD NEWS) is not complicated. In fact, children are closer to God and have more of a pure heart and are more likely to understand and accept it far easier than adults.

The world hardens you as you grow older... you start to forget God. You discard the true nature of God and leave it behind with your "childish" thoughts and reasoning.
Faith, Hope, Love is the part of development of a soul toward spiritual Nature. Path to God. This is a better translation. https://biblehub.com/esv/1_corinthians/13.htm
Faith is initial state is when there is no knowledge ('we see in a mirror dimly' or 'just like thru dark glass') just feeling of God's calling.
Compare to Heb. 5 and 6.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:54 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
1 Corinthians 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.

In other words:
"I talked like a child. Thought like a child. Reasoned like a child. Pure love, simple truths are easy to understand without all of the baggage.
Then I grew up and abandoned those thoughts.....and the simple truth.
For NOW that I have done so. Now that I have abandoned those things, and left them behind, I NOW see God less clearly. I see God NOW as only like a cloudy reflection in a mirror."

Matthew 19:14 -
But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.”

The gospel (GOOD NEWS) is not complicated. In fact, children are closer to God and have more of a pure heart and are more likely to understand and accept it far easier than adults.

The world hardens you as you grow older... you start to forget God. You discard the true nature of God and leave it behind with your "childish" thoughts and reasoning.
I like what you did there...

However, I think that the scripture in question is saying that it is a good thing to become mature in your thinking and to put away such things as childhood toys.

I know that when I was a child, I thought that I would never give up playing the game of AD&D.

But when I became a believer in Christ, I matured; and those things no longer interested me.

I found that there was much more joy in hearing and reading the word of God than in reading those occultic books and playing that occuoltic game.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I like what you did there...

However, I think that the scripture in question is saying that it is a good thing to become mature in your thinking and to put away such things as childhood toys.

I know that when I was a child, I thought that I would never give up playing the game of AD&D.

But when I became a believer in Christ, I matured; and those things no longer interested me.

I found that there was much more joy in hearing and reading the word of God than in reading those occultic books and playing that occuoltic game.
Look deeper and maybe you'll understand a little more of what I was trying to convey. Go beyond the surface.

Childlike - pure love, humility, kindness, goodness, a sense of WONDER. We see God's image more clearly when we are children. We forget about the true nature of God as we grow older and the weight of the world becomes heavier on our shoulders. This is not about toys or games or such. It's about your heart.

Peace,
sparrow

Old 08-17-2021, 04:22 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Obviously another big difference between Paul (not approving of the ways of children) vs. Jesus who did. And Jesus saw a healthiness in the innocence and hearts of children. He loved to spend time with them. Paul in contrast comes across as a jerk.

Make your decision to be a Christian or Paulian, because the two don't agree.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:49 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Look deeper and maybe you'll understand a little more of what I was trying to convey. Go beyond the surface.

Childlike - pure love, humility, kindness, goodness, a sense of WONDER. We see God's image more clearly when we are children. We forget about the true nature of God as we grow older and the weight of the world becomes heavier on our shoulders. This is not about toys or games or such. It's about your heart.

Peace,
sparrow

Old 08-17-2021, 09:42 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:

Peace,
sparrow
I said that I like what you did with that scripture; so know that I see the deeper meaning that you are trying to portray.

However, I do believe that the thing that I have mentioned is the more sound interpretation and more in line with what the author was trying to say.

That being said, I think that the interpretation that you have given is also valid and something that the Holy Spirit might even want to say to someone.

While I also believe that there is one true interpretation to every scripture (Proverbs 1:6 (kjv)) but that there may be more than one application.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I said that I like what you did with that scripture; so know that I see the deeper meaning that you are trying to portray.

However, I do believe that the thing that I have mentioned is the more sound interpretation and more in line with what the author was trying to say.

That being said, I think that the interpretation that you have given is also valid and something that the Holy Spirit might even want to say to someone.

While I also believe that there is one true interpretation to every scripture (Proverbs 1:6 (kjv)) but that there may be more than one application.
That's right, you are 48 and a half years old.
But you should have left the toys out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity