Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 04:18 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, that seemed weird to me.

But how is God intervening "being what he is not"? Or do you mean something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If He intervened on earth He would be taking back the Dominion that He gave us by His Sovereign Will as well as our free will. He cannot impose evil on us or tempt us to evil because that is NOT who He is.
I think it is related to how He intervenes which is inspirationally, intellectually, emotionally, etc (through the word) we only perceive it using the correct dimension/frequency so to speak

Spirit communes with spirit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 04:24 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I think it is related to how He intervenes which is inspirationally, intellectually, emotionally, etc (through the word) we only perceive it using the correct dimension/frequency so to speak

Spirit communes with spirit.
I agree with you, Meerkat. I believe His interventions are limited to the spiritual as the Comforter, but there is nothing to prevent His positive interventions, IMO.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:07 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Yes, this is how I've always understood it. I don't see the need for taking a stance that "God can't" since free will answers the question.

In his book, he says "God can't" because God does not have a corporeal body so can't step in physically. I find that very hard to swallow since apparently God created the whole universe without a body....?
He seems not to know that in Old Testament times God appeared to certain people in a physical body in what is called a theophany - a preincarnate appearance of Jesus. The second person of the trinity appeared to Abraham for instance along with two angels.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:19 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
I agree with you, Meerkat. I believe His interventions are limited to the spiritual as the Comforter, but there is nothing to prevent His positive interventions, IMO.
I agree

However the medium of Gods interaction with man at the highest level is to be found in the correctly interpreted Scriptures and is an essential part of Christianity, and that is why the focus keeps being brought back to them, in every “generation” with revivals, revolutions, etc

The positive is always/essentially unlimited (unbound, free)

The negative is naturally limited and generational

I see this in the Scriptures (the limited and unlimited concepts, and also regional, levels, etc)

Exo 20:5**Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6**And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Gal 5:1**Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2**Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3**For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4**Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Gal 5:5**For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
Gal 5:6**For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
Gal 5:7**Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Joh 1:17**For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Joh 1:18**No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Yes, I find it hard to grasp that God has ANY limitations or "can't" do anything.

This guy's theory seems to be that God's love is "uncontrolled" and so he does not control us or anything. So he is not in control at all. That concept is quite alarming.

I admit, the free will aspect doesn't cover sickness and disease or natural disasters though. Who decided those with their "free will"? I guess that could be the principalities and powers evil free will....?

Old 08-31-2021, 11:06 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
He seems not to know that in Old Testament times God appeared to certain people in a physical body in what is called a theophany - a preincarnate appearance of Jesus. The second person of the trinity appeared to Abraham for instance along with two angels.
Yes, God could certainly manifest as a body to accomplish whatever he wanted/wants to do. As you remind us he did in the OT.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:57 PM

89 posts, read 23,764 times
Quote:
Here's another interesting new (to me) term.

I've been listening to this guy's talks, and read two of his books, one titled "God Can't"....

The word "can't" is really off-putting when applied to God, and hard to get past, but I'm wondering what others with open minds think about this. The summation is here in this 3-minute video.

It's about why God "can't" intervene in suffering and evil, which is a major roadblock for many (me, as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg0Bnp-pKgc
Isaiah 45:7

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

The nature of Elohim/God is described in Genesis to Revelation. The False Elohim/God is limited. The True Elohim/God is unlimited.

When you isolate the Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament from the Greek Scriptures/New Testament you see and teach a False Elohim/God.

Logic/Reason is wholly inadequate to understand Elohim/God.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:04 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is defying the 4th god attribute:
4. God is Omnipotent – He Is All Powerful

"god can't" can not be referred to a god, per definition. Maybe ot a demiurg, but not to god, as in - GOD. It's just idle philosophizing.
demiurge is a gnostic proposition;

And I declare to all here faithfully that gnosticism is heretical by nature.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, I find it hard to grasp that God has ANY limitations or "can't" do anything.

This guy's theory seems to be that God's love is "uncontrolled" and so he does not control us or anything. So he is not in control at all. That concept is quite alarming.

I admit, the free will aspect doesn't cover sickness and disease or natural disasters though. Who decided those with their "free will"? I guess that could be the principalities and powers evil free will....?
Much as we have been told it is true, everything is NOT the result of God's Will!. We do not realize the true significance of the fact that we are created in the image and likeness of God. Very little about what comprises us is under the control of our Will, why do we think that everything that comprises God is under the control of His Will???

We only control what is in our consciousness so does God. As God's children, we need to overcome and endure anything with agape love in our consciousness because that is what God does as exemplified by Jesus on the Cross.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
demiurge is a gnostic proposition;
And I declare to all here faithfully that gnosticism is heretical by nature.
Who cares???
Heresies are the successful efforts of our ignorant ancestors to ignore any "spiritual solid food" hidden within the writings and deny as a sign of their faith in God any potential revisions of the "carnal milk" Jesus was forced to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity