Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 01:57 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Does that mean the kid that repeated a prayer at age 6 at a VBS is saved? My thought is "maybe". But I can't say. That is up to God to determine. But we can only judge according to the fruit one produces.
If he understood that Jesus died for his sins and therefore placed his faith in Jesus for salvation then he is saved. Faith may or may not be expressed by means of a prayer. If the prayer reflects an actual belief in Christ then he is saved whether or not his salvation is apparent to anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 02:17 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
demon believe, but there is no provision for these spirits ..... Jesus said repent or parish, were repenting would be something more than just believing, yet there are people in heaven who just repented and believed

Old 09-08-2021, 02:17 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nice, Katz. You are coming along nicely! He, he, he.
Uh huh. You're "mellowing" and I'm "coming along."

Old 09-08-2021, 02:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Define "do another thing".

Do they live like the devil?

The fruit inspection would probably reveal whether their faith was legit or not.
In other words, your belief is actually predicated on appearance and performance.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Without quoting James what is the collective opinion.......saved or lost?
Grace is the empowering Presence and Power of God which enables us to be who He created us to be; and to do what He has called us to do. It has nothing to do with his mercy (unmerited favor) or that of a Penal Substitution theory. Rather, it is that which enables us to overcome, any and all obstacles that might be hindering our Spiritual growth and maturity. Unmerited favor, would be that of having or showing mercy to an enemy through that of love. Especially, one who spitefully persecutes you, "father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Old 09-08-2021, 02:32 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
It amazes me that people who claim to be "Bible believers" will tie themselves into knots with strange interpretations of Paul or the Old Testament prophets, but never seem to look at the four gospels, or pay attention to the direct words of Jesus Christ himself.

Jesus answers this question for us in Matthew chapter 25, verses 31 to 46:
"When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left.

Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'

Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Also note the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:21: "Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

It is therefore very clear from the words of Jesus himself that those who claim to have faith, and who say "Lord, Lord", but who do nothing to show their faith in their lives are clearly not as saved (or safe...) as they think they are.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:40 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
If he understood that Jesus died for his sins and therefore placed his faith in Jesus for salvation then he is saved. Faith may or may not be expressed by means of a prayer. If the prayer reflects an actual belief in Christ then he is saved whether or not his salvation is apparent to anyone else.
I think we're in agreement.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:02 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
It amazes me that people who claim to be "Bible believers" will tie themselves into knots with strange interpretations of Paul or the Old Testament prophets, but never seem to look at the four gospels, or pay attention to the direct words of Jesus Christ himself.

"When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left.

Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?' And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.'

Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?' Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Matthew 25 is set in the future Tribulation. The judgement of the nations to which you are referring concerns the survivors of the Tribulation. During the Tribulation, because of the increased lawlessness most people's love will grow cold as stated in Matthew 24:12. Therefore, in the Tribulation it will be only those who have believed in Christ who will be willing to help others. They are not saved because they help others, rather, they will be willing to help others because they are saved by means of faith in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
Also note the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:21: "Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

It is therefore very clear from the words of Jesus himself that those who claim to have faith, and who say "Lord, Lord", but who do nothing to show their faith in their lives are clearly not as saved (or safe...) as they think they are.
The people to whom Jesus was referring will be those who according to Matthew 7:22 will have prophesized, cast out many demons, and performed many miracles, all in Christ's name. Yet they are sent away by Jesus. Why? Because they had not placed their faith in Jesus for eternal life. The will of the Father is for us to believe in Christ as per John 6:40.

Salvation is through faith and not by works as Paul stated in Ephesians 2:8-9. The two passages to which you referred actually bear this out.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post

Ok - I can agree with that

But nations and individuals are not of the same life span

I believe we need to separate what pertains to national things from what pertains to individual things

Individually we are not responsible for the decisions that has created the societies we live in, however throughout the past 2000 there have been reformers who have been both religiously and politically motivated/inspired to set change in motion - each in their own region

Any individual who believes in their heart that Jesus is the Christ, and confesses with their mouth that he has been raised from the dead is a Christian and is saved

Believing and confessing are the 2 things that work together as one in unison - mind/heart

Doing the will of God is about being balanced in our appreciation of the higher (God) and relating to our peers (neighbour)

Which is what love God and neighbour as self is about - it is about understanding that very personal integrity of a body, any body

Some “neighbours” will be friend, some foe but we are told to be unbiased/impartial in how we relate to all

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-08-2021 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 03:26 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Saved. He simply will have had a non-productive spiritual life and will lose out on eternal rewards at the judgment seat of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity