Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 12:35 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Honestly? If there were tears in Heaven, I think she'd probably cry over what people have made of her.
You should be more concerned about what you and the mainstream Churches have made of Jesus and God. I am convinced Jesus is not remotely happy about the way you have misinterpreted His sacrifice and demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness using our ancestors' primitive beliefs about God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 12:46 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - watching it now!

Hey, I wanted to share one tidbit of something else about Mary and me.

Twenty years ago, I was converting and coming up on Easter and all that when I'd be confirmed. My dad kept EVERYTHING and I knew I had seen my Methodist baptismal certificate in his file cabinet before, and I needed that. I mean, I did know the name of the church so I could get it from them if I really needed it but it would just be so much easier if my dad would just give it to me.

Anyway, he was opposed to me converting. He and my grandmother (his mom) and many, many generations back were staunch Methodists.

So, he and I were cleaning out my grandmother's attic. Now, we had just put these boxes up there a few years ago when she'd moved to be near him, and besides that, we'd all been through every single box and held every item she'd ever owned over and over again. There just weren't than many boxes up there, and she'd never been one to collect much stuff anyway.

So I was up in the attic handing him boxes. While I was up there, I called down, "Dad. I really really need that baptismal certificate. I know you have it, I've seen it in your house recently. Can you please just give it to me?" He sighed and said "Well, OK."

The very next box I handed down to him was a little open. I opened it and inside it, not wrapped up or anything, just laying on top of some material, was a beautiful porcelain figurine of Mary. I said "Dad, where did Grandmother get this? I've never seen it before, but I'm taking it!" I picked it up to show to him...and underneath it was my baptismal certificate.

My dad had never seen the Mary figurine and was as surprised as I was to see the baptismal certificate. Oh well!

My grandmother had died a few months earlier. She had never seemed bothered in the least by me attending RCIA or planning on converting, just for the record.

We never found out where she got that figurine or how that baptismal certificate got up in that box in her attic.

Can I say, I have a hunch

Old 11-10-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Honestly? If there were tears in Heaven, I think she'd probably cry over what people have made of her.
Maybe. But I'm quite sure she misses you.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:49 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Maybe. But I'm quite sure she misses you.
That would go directly against what Scripture says. There is no sorrow in Heaven. She couldn't care less about me. She's in the presence of God.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You should be more concerned about what you and the mainstream Churches have made of Jesus and God. I am convinced Jesus is not remotely happy about the way you have misinterpreted His sacrifice and demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness using our ancestors' primitive beliefs about God.
You're off-topic. Try to stay on topic when you're bad-mouthing others, will you, Mr. Agape?

Old 11-10-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That would go directly against what Scripture says. There is no sorrow in Heaven. She couldn't care less about me. She's in the presence of God.
Just because she's in the presence of God doesn't mean she doesn't care about you. Of course she cares.

Those in heaven may not experience *sorrow* per se as we know it, but they are greatly concerned with what goes on down here on earth. The Church in Heaven is one with the Church on earth. There is no real separation.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Just because she's in the presence of God doesn't mean she doesn't care about you. Of course she cares.

Those in heaven may not experience *sorrow* per se as we know it, but they are greatly concerned with what goes on down here on earth. The Church in Heaven is one with the Church on earth. There is no real separation.
I agree with this. We are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, and we should never forget that.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
1. How do you know?

2. Why do you believe she would express sorrow when Scripture says explicitly there is no sorrow in Heaven?
Quote:

How do you know that? Scripture says nothing of that. There is not a single apostolic teaching that we can point to that says that.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:26 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,092 times
LOL . One Christian tries to post something positive and uplifting about the faith, and a different Christian decides it something to argue about .

Old 11-10-2021, 03:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
LOL . One Christian tries to post something positive and uplifting about the faith, and a different Christian decides it something to argue about .
I know - and that is why I don't generally waste efforts one way or the other. I have well researched and thought out reasons for holding firm to my faith. I live my life and share my life with others and if they ask about what I believe, I tell them, but I don't think I'm right about everything (I don't think any human is) - all I know is what works for me in my life, and if someone asks I share it.

I am a naturally enthusiastic and joyful person, so thankfully people do generally respond positively to me, but not everyone does, and that's OK too. I'm only responsible for my actions, not theirs, and I don't know their journey.

As I've said over and over again, I think we're all going to be surprised one day to varying extents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity