Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 12:16 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So you can judge if one is born again or not? Or if one was born again that died 1000, 2000 years ago?
You may think you have to but I don't have to. I know they all are born again, but until Jesus joined them as Spirits they were separate from God. Since Jesus when we physically die, we either join with God and Jesus or have the dross refined out of us before we join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 12:18 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
lookup Strongs 4012 (peri) - here's a link - https://biblehub.com/greek/4012.htm

4012 perí (a preposition) – properly, all-around (on every side); encompassing, used of full (comprehensive) consideration where "all the bases are covered" (inclusively). 4012 (perí) is often translated "concerning" ("all about").

the english translation looses the meaning.

It still doesnt translate into TO the saints. Even the Catholic apologists dont quote this verse.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:45 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Why do you call 'dead' who God calls alive?:

"He is not God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive" (Luke 20:38)

"this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
whoever eats this bread will live forever;
and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.
” (John 6:50-51)
Yet, we never see the apostles praying to him or anyone else that had passed on.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:25 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
It still doesnt translate into TO the saints. Even the Catholic apologists dont quote this verse.
correct -'for' and 'TO' in English are inconcise translations, leading to misunderstanding.

look again at post #49 - for the Greek 'peri' - is more properly translated/understood as 'through' 'or 'around'.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
It's what all believers have in common.
Which is?

I am wondering why you won't answer me. I mean, I'm not wondering much, but a little bit.

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE REGARDING THE COMMUNION OF THE SAINTS?

Old 11-12-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yet, we never see the apostles praying to him or anyone else that had passed on.
Revelation 5:8, where John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints“

Old 11-13-2021, 07:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
When translated to English, it's basically the Hail Mary prayer.
The first half of the song, and the first half (actually more than half) of the Hail Mary prayer, which is a short prayer anyway, is directly from scripture.

From Luke 1:
Quote:
26 And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth,

27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

41 And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

42 And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

44 For behold as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+1&version=DRA

Old 11-13-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
correct -'for' and 'TO' in English are inconcise translations, leading to misunderstanding.

look again at post #49 - for the Greek 'peri' - is more properly translated/understood as 'through' 'or 'around'.
It is a reach to try and make the word mean some version of praying TO or THROUGH the saints . Most other verses that use the same word are much less prone to misinterpretation, ie, “they went looking FOR the boy”, “ he girded ABOUT his loins” , other times it is used as “ concerning” or “of” . But no other verse I have seen ever interprets it as TO . This interpretation isn’t even listed as being used anywhere in the Bible where Strongs list the number of each type of use .

KJV Translation Count — Total: 331x
The KJV translates Strong's G4012 in the following manner: of (148x), for (61x), concerning (40x), about (31x), as touching (8x), touching (3x), whereof (with G3739) (3x), not translated (4x), miscellaneous (33x).

The approved Catholic Bible , the NRSV-CE (Catholic Edition) , also translates the word as FOR . So even the approved Catholic versions aren’t attempting to make the verse mean TO the saints .

In addition, there were no saints to venerate and pray to at the time of Paul’s letter . Even the Apostles were still alive at this time . This was a later development of the church .

I am not arguing against praying to saints. I am just pointing out this verse doesn’t support the practice . It is more a part of the Traditions than a biblical imperative.

Last edited by NatesDude; 11-13-2021 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
It is a reach to try and make the word mean some version of praying TO or THROUGH the saints . Most other verses that use the same word are much less prone to misinterpretation, ie, “they went looking FOR the boy”, “ he girded ABOUT his loins” , other times it is used as “ concerning” or “of” . But no other verse I have seen ever interprets it as TO . This interpretation isn’t even listed as being used anywhere in the Bible where Strongs list the number of each type of use .
KJV Translation Count — Total: 331x
The KJV translates Strong's G4012 in the following manner: of (148x), for (61x), concerning (40x), about (31x), as touching (8x), touching (3x), whereof (with G3739) (3x), not translated (4x), miscellaneous (33x).
The approved Catholic Bible , the NRSV-CE (Catholic Edition) , also translates the word as FOR . So even the approved Catholic versions aren’t attempting to make the verse mean TO the saints .
Yes, we could argue semantics over a single word forever: however, in context, WHY would you/anyone ever need to pray FOR a 'Saint' (hagiōn-sacred ) - in Catholic context this person is already in the presence of God (as we read in Revelation)!

Quote:
In addition, there were no saints to venerate and pray to at the time of Paul’s letter . Even the Apostles were still alive at this time . This was a later development of the church .
I have no idea how you can conclude that ^:
- scripture show us from - Abraham, Isaac, Jacob ......... Stephen, Dismus..... let alone Moses and Elijah who even appeared to them.
"...He is not the God of the dead but of the living". Mat 22:32
Jesus even tells a parable/teaching of a rich man petitioning Father Abraham:
- note that NONE of the people or disciples correct Jesus saying, 'Hey J, that parable doesn't make sense cause "you can't pray to Abraham cause he's 'dead'"
(thought I'm sure if BF was there then he would have - ha!)
and neither does Abraham correct the rich man saying 'hey, you can't pray to me, pray to God only".
Heck, even the rich man, the one doing the praying/petitioning - had already 'passed'!

Quote:
I am not arguing against praying to saints. I am just pointing out this verse doesn’t support the practice . It is more a part of the Traditions than a biblical imperative.
That verse alone, of course not - and the tradition goes all that way back into OT - it didn't need to be newly established in the NT.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, we could argue semantics over a single word forever: however, in context, WHY would you/anyone ever need to pray FOR a 'Saint' (hagiōn-sacred ) - in Catholic context this person is already in the presence of God (as we read in Revelation)!

I have no idea how you can conclude that ^:
- scripture show us from - Abraham, Isaac, Jacob ......... Stephen, Dismus..... let alone Moses and Elijah who even appeared to them.
"...He is not the God of the dead but of the living". Mat 22:32
Jesus even tells a parable/teaching of a rich man petitioning Father Abraham:
- note that NONE of the people or disciples correct Jesus saying, 'Hey J, that parable doesn't make sense cause "you can't pray to Abraham cause he's 'dead'"
(thought I'm sure if BF was there then he would have - ha!)
and neither does Abraham correct the rich man saying 'hey, you can't pray to me, pray to God only".
Heck, even the rich man, the one doing the praying/petitioning - had already 'passed'!

That verse alone, of course not - and the tradition goes all that way back into OT - it didn't need to be newly established in the NT.
The Bible doesn’t instruct to pray for A saint, it instructs you to pray for THE saints, in other words, for Christians.

Act 9:13 - Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem

Act 9:32 - And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda.

Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and such are not Saints of the Catholic Church .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity