Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 02:29 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
The Bible doesn’t instruct to pray for A saint, it instructs you to pray for THE saints, in other words, for Christians.

Act 9:13 - Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem

Act 9:32 - And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda.

Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and such are not Saints of the Catholic Church .
Can I ask you, Nate, why you care about this since I am pretty sure you are NOT Catholic? Saints have a special status in Catholicism that is not necessarily reflected in the other Christian versions nor in Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 02:34 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Can I ask you, Nate, why you care about this since I am pretty sure you are NOT Catholic? Saints have a special status in Catholicism that is not necessarily reflected in the other Christian versions nor in Judaism.
I am simply having a discussion that has veered into this area. A civil discussion involving disagreement without insult , I might add . I am not knocking or debating the practice of praying to the saints. If you will read the entire discussion you will discover this. I made the point that the verse quoted applies to believers at large and not to the special group of saints recognized by the RCC , and we have been exchanging ideas . Nothing more .

Thanks for your interest

Old 11-13-2021, 04:33 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and such are not Saints of the Catholic Church .
Of course the are:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us, “The patriarchs, prophets, and certain other Old Testament figures have been and always will be honored as Saints in all the Church’s liturgical traditions (CCC, 61).

Here is a brief (secular) list - https://en.everybodywiki.com/Chronol...stament_Saints

Old 11-13-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I am simply having a discussion that has veered into this area. A civil discussion involving disagreement without insult , I might add . I am not knocking or debating the practice of praying to the saints. If you will read the entire discussion you will discover this. I made the point that the verse quoted applies to believers at large and not to the special group of saints recognized by the RCC , and we have been exchanging ideas . Nothing more .

Thanks for your interest

Old 11-13-2021, 04:53 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Of course the are:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us, “The patriarchs, prophets, and certain other Old Testament figures have been and always will be honored as Saints in all the Church’s liturgical traditions (CCC, 61).

Here is a brief (secular) list - https://en.everybodywiki.com/Chronol...stament_Saints
Off topic.... but is the CCC in your ID for the catechism?

Old 11-13-2021, 05:18 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Of course the are:

OK. I was going by this list. I figured it was authoritative since it came from a Catholic org.

https://mycatholic.life/saints/#TOC-A

Old 11-13-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Off topic.... but is the CCC in your ID for the catechism?
heh heh - gosh, I hope not - I'm no expert on it, just know how to use the search really well!

I think when I registered I wanted to use ISeeYou or ICU but it wouldn't let me, so I just put CCCyou.
I believe when I joined it was to debate in the Politics forum, but I got smashed by the bull the following month,
and when I finally did get out of the hospital I didn't really care about politics much anymore.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:40 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Revelation 5:8, where John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints“
Saints in heaven offer prayers to the alter, the alter offers up the incense to God.

The allter stands in the holy place before the throne, and nobody can come to God but by that alter, Jesus is the alter, he is the median between God and man, and when the alter offers the prays of the saints, the incense burns for 30 min and nobody is to speak while the incense burns. 30 min of silence.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Which is?

I am wondering why you won't answer me. I mean, I'm not wondering much, but a little bit.

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE REGARDING THE COMMUNION OF THE SAINTS?
I literally just told you. It's the common faith that all believers have.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Revelation 5:8, where John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints“
Right. So you think because of a verse from Revelation that Dear Aunt Sally is waiting on every prayer you make to her? Or some Saint is anxiously waiting and acting on a billion people praying simultaneous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity