Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 02:22 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times

Advertisements

Though I was raised believing in it, the concept has fallen out of favor lately.

Plus, I recently learned the whole idea is only about 100 or so years old.

The scholars I've been reading/watching don't give it credence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 02:28 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Though I was raised believing in it, the concept has fallen out of favor lately.

I think that the doctrines relating to “the rapture” is based on a misunderstanding of what is being “raptured”

It never made sense to me about individuals being raptured physically to heaven, and dead individuals being raised from literal graves

Old 09-15-2021, 02:38 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:

It's closer to 200 years old, though it's only been widespread in the US for closer to 100 years.

John Nelson Darby invented it around the 1830s. He was an English preacher. The rapture idea didn't become popular in the US until the Scofield Reference Bible came out in the early 1900s. My parents had one when I was a kid.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:54 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
I saw a poster on a car window once that said "If I'm driving when the rapture happens, take the wheel!"

Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

The rapture of the church is quite biblical regardless of how much it has fallen out of favor with scholarship. It was not invented by Darby who simply recognized it in the bible. You have to understand the following.

The English term 'rapture' comes from the Latin word 'rapiemur' which is the Latin translation of the Greek word 'ἁρπάζω/harpazó in 1 Thessalonians 4:17. It means to be caught up or snatched away.
I Thessalonicenses 4:17 Latin: Vulgata Clementina

Deinde nos, qui vivimus, qui relinquimur, simul rapiemur c um illis in nubibus obviam Christo in aëra, et sic semper c um Domino erimus.

https://biblehub.com/multi/1_thessalonians/4-17.htm
The event we call the rapture is what Paul was referring to in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 in which he refers to us being caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Paul doesn't say that we remain in the air. The idea is that once having been caught up in the air we then go to heaven until the end of the Tribulation at which time we will return with Jesus to the earth.

So to say that the rapture is unbiblical is to ignore Paul's statement of being ''caught up.'' To be caught up to meet the Lord in the air and to be with him always is the rapture.

Now go to Revelation and you can see that the church is mentioned before the Tribulation and after the Tribulation where it is called the bride of Christ, but the church is not mentioned during the period that the Tribulation is taking place, inferring that the church is not on the earth during the Tribulation.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The rapture of the church is quite biblical regardless of how much it has fallen out of favor with scholarship. It was not invented by Darby who simply recognized it in the bible. You have to understand the following.

The English term 'rapture' comes from the Latin word 'rapiemur' which is the Latin translation of the Greek word 'ἁρπάζω/harpazó in 1 Thessalonians 4:17. It means to be caught up or snatched away.
I Thessalonicenses 4:17 Latin: Vulgata Clementina

Deinde nos, qui vivimus, qui relinquimur, simul rapiemur c um illis in nubibus obviam Christo in aëra, et sic semper c um Domino erimus.

https://biblehub.com/multi/1_thessalonians/4-17.htm
The event we call the rapture is what Paul was referring to in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 in which he refers to us being caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Paul doesn't say that we remain in the air. The idea is that once having been caught up in the air we then go to heaven until the end of the Tribulation at which time we will return with Jesus to the earth.

So to say that the rapture is unbiblical is to ignore Paul's statement of being ''caught up.'' To be caught up to meet the Lord in the air and to be with him always is the rapture.

Now go to Revelation and you can see that the church is mentioned before the Tribulation and after the Tribulation where it is called the bride of Christ, but the church is not mentioned during the period that the Tribulation is taking place, inferring that the church is not on the earth during the Tribulation.
Thanks, Michael. I know there is that one verse that the whole idea is based on. But I have heard other translations of that verse that indicate he was referring to Roman invasion, that one person could be "snatched up" while the other was left standing---that was to terrify the Jews.

Has anyone else heard this take on that particular verse?

Old 09-15-2021, 03:49 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Paul is speaking of the Second Coming and the general resurrection of the dead.

He's saying that those who are living at the time will be instantaneously changed (i.e. glorified) along with the dead who are resurrected to life. The Thessalonians were probably expecting the Second Coming to take place soon (within their lifetime), and were concerned about what would happen to their corruptible bodies if their dead brothers were resurrected to glorified bodies while they were still alive. It has nothing to do with any kind of "rapture" in the Darbyite sense.

Fr. Callan's Commentary

Old 09-15-2021, 03:56 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Thanks, Michael. I know there is that one verse that the whole idea is based on. But I have heard other translations of that verse that indicate he was referring to Roman invasion, that one person could be "snatched up" while the other was left standing---that was to terrify the Jews.

Actually, 1 Thessalonians 4:17 is not the only passage on which the rapture is based (Note also that the rest of that passage speaks of the resurrection). The rapture of the church takes place at the same time as the resurrection of the church.

But a passage which has been identified as a parallel rapture passage is John 14:1-3. If you are interested the details are provided in the link below. Note the parallels between John 14:1-3 and 1 Thessalonians 4:17 in the side-by-side diagram and draw your own conclusion.

https://www.pre-trib.org/pretribfile...eAndJohn14.pdf

Notice also that in 1 Thessalonians 4:13- 18 the rapture- the catching away occurs before the 'Day of the Lord' begins in which the wrath of God is poured out on the earth - which Paul speaks of in chapter 5.

The order being the rapture, the Tribulation, the return of Jesus with the church to the earth. The pre-tribulation view of the rapture best agrees with the scriptures.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-15-2021 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-15-2021, 04:05 PM

Here's a couple scholars with their erudite thoughts on the subject (short, 5-min. videos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg_HOUEjCxI

and N.T. Wright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqYHeBdMqvU

Old 09-15-2021, 04:05 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:

No, but interesting and significant in my opinion

The administrations of the church were set up from the beginning, and there is certainly definite Inherited division between the Roman/Jewish/gentile parts especially since the 1500’s

I see a lot of things corporately/developmentally

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-15-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity