Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 04:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
Thanks, if any church deviates from Jesus's teachings they should go sit on the naughty step, and that includes the polygamous offshoots of the LDS and the extremist beliefs of the Westboros..
Well, what do you know. We actually found something to agree on! (Also, I just looked at your profile. I will be 73 next Monday and about 90% of my ancestors are from England, so we also have that in common. Are you from anywhere near Bath? My husband and I took at 30-day road trip to England, Scotland and Wales a few years ago, and absolutely LOVED it!)

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-22-2021 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 06:21 PM

234 posts, read 99,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, what do you know. We actually found something to agree on! (Also, I just looked at your profile. I will be 73 next Monday and about 90% of my ancestors are from England, so we also have that in common. Are you from anywhere near Bath? My husband and I took at 30-day road trip to England, Scotland and Wales a few years ago, and absolutely LOVED it!)

I'm in Plymouth about 100 miles southwest of Bath..

PS- two mormon chaps were stopping passersby in Plymouth city centre a few years ago, their badges said "Elder" even though they only looked to be in their 20's.
"What do you know about the Lord Jesus Christ?" one of them asked me and I replied "I think I heard somewhere that he's the son of God"
"That's exactly right" they said with big smiles, can we invite you to a cafe to discuss it some more?"
Sorry I replied, "I've got to get to the computer shop before it closes"

Mind you if they'd been female mormons I daresay I'd have gone with them..

So you've got British blood like Trump, and Churchill had an American mother.
When Brits and Americans get together, magic happens..

Old 09-22-2021, 06:24 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Ah, that's a sweet story. Looks fishy, as though someone has been recruited to specifically support this thread.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Ah, that's a sweet story. Looks fishy, as though someone has been recruited to specifically support this thread.
What? Is it really so inconceivable that something like that could have happened? For crying out loud, do you distrust everybody, everywhere, all of the time?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
So you've got British blood like Trump...
Heaven forbid.

Actually, most of my family was from the Yorkshire area.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:32 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
It's time for PoorOldSpike to now respond, on cue (unless told not to of course).

Old 09-22-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's time for PoorOldSpike to now respond, on cue (unless told not to of course).
You are SO funny! Did you even read PoorOldSpike's first few posts? They were hardly flattering of Mormonism. And if you think I recruited him, you are even more deluded than I first thought. What must it be like having such an exalted opinion of oneself and such a derogatory opinion of everybody else?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's called a typo, BF. Ever made one?

Okay, let's just back up a bit here. Here's the quote that started the whole thing...

You weighed in by saying...

I responded...

You failed to address my challenge. Instead you said...

A few posts later, you continued by posting two direct quotes from LDS scripture...

And guess what? I responded by saying (with respect to the last two quotes you posted)...

So just what is it we're arguing about? Just like numerous other highly-regarded (even if not by you) other Christians from Irenaeus to Clement to Justin Martyr to Athanasius to Augustine to C.S. Lewis, Mormons believe that we have been given the divine potential to become like our Father in Heaven, through His grace and with His blessing.

I'm NOT hesitant to say anything that's true. What is not true and what I won't "admit" to is that Mormons believe that "men will be getting their own planet when they did." That's a disrespectful caricature that you and others have bought into, and it is NOT what we teach or believe.
He was too willing to condemn and lost perspective by not addressing the statement that he originally supported about planets. Instead, he merely misdirected things, as he usually does with his lack of reading comprehension or following the conversation. It does get tiresome dealing with this type of person. I've got some Ocean front property in Arizona - if he is interested?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He was too willing to condemn and lost perspective by not addressing the statement that he originally supported about planets. Instead, he merely misdirected things, as he usually does with his lack of reading comprehension or following the conversation. It does get tiresome dealing with this type of person.
It does, but I've come to more or less expect it. If it's not one annoying type, it's another.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:43 PM

Has anybody besides me noticed that the OP has never been back to comment on the thread he started? Wouldn't you think that if you care enough to start a thread, you'd have something to say on the subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity