Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 01:49 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, to be fair, what I provided documentation on was the idea that men become gods. I did not actually provide documentation on historical Mormon teaching that men get their own planets. So, yes, you’re correct, my apologies, I did get off base there.
Thank you for the apology. Just to clarify, though, we have NEVER had a doctrine teaching that "men get their own planets." That is just one more embellishment non-Mormons like to throw in for good measure when they're trying to explain our beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
A. OP is gearing up to celebrate your 73rd birthday and no time to respond. Early Happy Birthday greetings by the way....
Thank you!

Old 09-23-2021, 02:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you for the apology. Just to clarify, though, we have NEVER had a doctrine teaching that "men get their own planets." That is just one more embellishment non-Mormons like to throw in for good measure when they're trying to explain our beliefs.
It is apparently a common enough misunderstanding. Googling it, I found a few different articles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...ormons/358669/

Old 09-23-2021, 02:32 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
Quote:
What are the Mormon teachings regarding the "afterlife"? This idea about getting your own planet has to come from somewhere.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:02 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
And what I find with the religious, theological, philosophical ideology that there is always metaphor/allegory embedded in the writings which have both gone into the Scriptures and flowed out of the Scriptures (like water)

This thread has sparked an interest in the development and timeline of religion in the USA - I believe that there is a principalities, powers, rulers thing going on with all of these separate denominations developing from and alongside each other in their own specific region (the new world so to speak) , with their own inherited and embellished doctrinal, ritualistic things

They are all part of the same “generation”

https://www.thearda.com/timeline/tlRank1to2.asp

We need to follow where things have come from and gone to and what influence they have had in the development of society and the consequences of the decisions that have been made - the sowing and reaping effect

Old 09-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It is apparently a common enough misunderstanding. Googling it, I found a few different articles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...ormons/358669/
I know it is, but all of the sources that promote this concept are non-LDS sources, which is why, in my very first post on this thread (I think), I posted a very clear statement from the LDS Church stating unequivocally that this is NOT the case.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
What are the Mormon teachings regarding the "afterlife"? This idea about getting your own planet has to come from somewhere.
It's more or less an embellishment to our actual doctrine that has been proliferated through the years by individuals who feel that the LDS doctrine is incorrect (and they are certainly entitled to their opinion) and needs to me caricatured just for effect. This post explains what our doctrine actually is. We do actually believe in the ancient doctrine of deification, but make no claims as to exactly what this means other than that we, as children of God, have been given the potential to become like Him and share in His eternal joy.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:32 PM

234 posts, read 99,643 times
PoorOldSpike said- "So you've got British blood like Trump
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Heaven forbid.

What, don't you mormons like Trump?
I like him..

Moderator cut: Political image removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-23-2021 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Picture removed

Old 09-23-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
PoorOldSpike said- "So you've got British blood like Trump
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What, don't you mormons like Trump?
Well, since this is not the political forum and any discussion of politics will be promptly shut down, I'll limit my answer to, "Hell no! At least not this Mormon!" (You may note, however, that I have described myself in my profile as "Not your average Mormon." So, it would be accurate to say that the majority of Mormons are probably pro-Trump.) I would love to elaborate, but I know better than to do that on the Christianity forum.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-23-2021 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 03:47 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
We don't even mention politicians in this forum. Posts may be deleted or edited (particularly pictures) since people often come in and reply before they see these warnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity