Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 03:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, to be fair, what I provided documentation on was the idea that men become gods. I did not actually provide documentation on historical Mormon teaching that men get their own planets. So, yes, you’re correct, my apologies, I did get off base there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you for the apology. Just to clarify, though, we have NEVER had a doctrine teaching that "men get their own planets." That is just one more embellishment non-Mormons like to throw in for good measure when they're trying to explain our beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It is apparently a common enough misunderstanding. Googling it, I found a few different articles.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...ormons/358669/
Quote:
I know it is, but all of the sources that promote this concept are non-LDS sources, which is why, in my very first post on this thread (I think), I posted a very clear statement from the LDS Church stating unequivocally that this is NOT the case.
Well, there goes that apology, right out the window.

The Baptist just cannot help himself. ROTFLMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 04:00 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Scary that someone named the unmentionable here (in #128). I'm fine with the approach in Harry Potter, and how they didn't want to even utter the name of [Voldomort] early on. Or was that Sauron in LOTR?

PoorSpike lost lots of credibility points showing that card...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-23-2021 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 04:47 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
It's more or less an embellishment to our actual doctrine that has been proliferated through the years by individuals who feel that the LDS doctrine is incorrect (and they are certainly entitled to their opinion) and needs to me caricatured just for effect. This post explains what our doctrine actually is. We do actually believe in the ancient doctrine of deification, but make no claims as to exactly what this means other than that we, as children of God, have been given the potential to become like Him and share in His eternal joy.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:00 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
He ascended into heaven and will return to judge the living and the dead.
Sobering and harsh, and a grim fate for the those who are/were not well behaved on earth. Yet compared to below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
They believe that through the practice of the Mormon religion, you can achieve divinity yourself and that in the afterlife you will be given your own planet to rule in conjunction with your wife (if you find her pleasing) to have spirit babies.
Wouldn't a heavenly life evolve into a more sentient, purer spiritual plane that would transcend the earthly concepts and trappings such as ownership and rule? I say this only half tongue in cheek, but would taxes on the planet be far behind given the layout of this plan? A couple compelled to have many spirit babies to grow up and work the planetary farms to pay the taxes?

And if you "filter" the privilege to include ownership and rule without the burden of taxes/insurance/upkeep/etc. would this not be considered suspicious selective filtering that may serve as attractive marketing, and potentially water down the credibility of the claim?

Old 09-23-2021, 05:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Quote:
It's more or less an embellishment to our actual doctrine that has been proliferated through the years by individuals who feel that the LDS doctrine is incorrect (and they are certainly entitled to their opinion) and needs to me caricatured just for effect. This post explains what our doctrine actually is. We do actually believe in the ancient doctrine of deification, but make no claims as to exactly what this means other than that we, as children of God, have been given the potential to become like Him and share in His eternal joy.
I understand how religious beliefs can be distorted by outsiders. Those of us who believe that the eucharistic gifts become the body and blood of Christ at the epiclesis have been accused of cannibalism bu those who don't understand our beliefs. These distortions can happen to any group.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:36 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I understand how religious beliefs can be distorted by outsiders. Those of us who believe that the eucharistic gifts become the body and blood of Christ at the epiclesis have been accused of cannibalism bu those who don't understand our beliefs. These distortions can happen to any group.
Exactly - can and have been

That has been happening since the beginning, Genesis with the story of Adam/Eve and their sons/progeny Cain/Abel which is the basic “type” to be understood by the religious

The Scriptures are religious documents

Old 09-23-2021, 06:57 PM

234 posts, read 99,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Scary that someone named the unmentionable here (in #128). I'm fine with the approach in Harry Potter, and how they didn't want to even utter the name of [Voldomort] early on. Or was that Sauron in LOTR?
PoorSpike lost lots of credibility points showing that card...
What card? Sorry, did I upset some people with something I said?

Last edited by PoorOldSpike; 09-23-2021 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 07:40 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Thank you so much for pointing that out! As a matter of fact, I have used that precise example (i.e., transubstantiation) in trying to explain to people to be careful where they get their information. People wanting accurate information on Judaism would likely not find Muslims to be the best source of information (and the same holds true for the reverse situation). Likewise, if I wanted accurate information on Catholicism, it only stands to reason that I'd ask a Catholic rather than a Baptist or a Methodist. Of course, a lot of people find it much more to their liking to go along with the cannibalism explanation. I guess there's really nothing we can do to stop it; we can only correct inaccurate information as we see it posted.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:42 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
What card? Sorry, did I upset some people with something I said?
Yes. Please take note of this post.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for pointing that out! As a matter of fact, I have used that precise example (i.e., transubstantiation) in trying to explain to people to be careful where they get their information. People wanting accurate information on Judaism would likely not find Muslims to be the best source of information (and the same holds true for the reverse situation). Likewise, if I wanted accurate information on Catholicism, it only stands to reason that I'd ask a Catholic rather than a Baptist or a Methodist. Of course, a lot of people find it much more to their liking to go along with the cannibalism explanation. I guess there's really nothing we can do to stop it; we can only correct inaccurate information as we see it posted.
To be fair, members of a particular religion or denomination often have no clue what it actually teaches. Notice I said "often". I'm not implying it's all members. They may simply be nominal members, or attenders, identify as such, but never get past the most shallow association with it. I learned much more about Catholicism from objectively listening to Catholic radio after I left the church. None of my Catholic relatives cared to really dive deeper than the Sunday morning experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity