Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 09:49 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Just the opposite, Mystic.

You gave me hope for this forum. Your views are a welcome change from the "who can quote the most Bible verses" competition there seems to be here.

I haven't been on this forum very long but your reasoning has always resonated with me, and "mostly" aligns with my own beliefs. Some great Biblical scholars are on our wavelength.

I still get disturbed by the OT violence, then I have to make myself recall your words, and what I have learned on my own about the ancient, primitive and fear-based culture of the OT that is reflected there.

All primitive cultures had fear of evil spirits and still do, my missionary relatives tell me. Everything about their lives is filtered through that lens.

I would be intrigued about why you don't believe in Satan and the "principalities and powers". They go a long way in explaining the evil in the world today. The corruption of political leaders, etc.

Also, do you believe the Bible has any relevance at all? I can't tell from your postings that I've read.

In any case, nice gesture on your part, and I hope whoever it is you are missing comes back.
That's what I do like about this forum. It provides an opportunity for the deeper exploration of Christianity, which is often shut down by the Bible worshipers in other places.

You might enjoy the work of Richard Rohr.

https://cac.org/category/daily-medit...content=footer

Re the Bible, of course it has relevance when one bears in mind that it is the work of men and their own seeking of God, which laid the foundation for us. However, there is no reason to assign divinity to the words or to limit Christian thought and spirituality to what's contained in those covers.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:52 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Dont mind me Zero, I am just checking Mystic's resolve, and besides, if he is going to sacrifice himself, somebody needs to push his buttons so's he can make bank in the afterlife from holding his tongue being lashed 39 times.

Well, something did happen to Mystic about 4 months ago, dont know what it was, but I saw it, maybe he is contacting spirits and he had the spirit of Harold Camping called up to see if Harold had found anything out. Never can tell with Mystic, gotta be quick, conjurer of conguries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 10:04 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what I do like about this forum. It provides an opportunity for the deeper exploration of Christianity, which is often shut down by the Bible worshipers in other places.

Re the Bible, of course it has relevance when one bears in mind that it is the work of men and their own seeking of God, which laid the foundation for us. However, there is no reason to assign divinity to the words or to limit Christian thought and spirituality to what's contained in those covers.
Isn’t it true that your church believes the Bible, both OT and NT, is the revealed word of God, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit?

Old 10-04-2021, 10:22 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No one is arguing that God is love and that He forgives sin. Mystic receives strong pushback because he rejects the basic tenet of Christianity, that Jesus died FOR our sins, as ordained by the Father from before time began.
That would be because I do not see an angry God in Jesus Christ on the Cross, and I did not meet an angry one in meditation, Jimmie. I see the basic tenet of Christianity as Jesus died BECAUSE OF our sins. The result is the same. We are saved by His sacrifice on the Cross because He did what we could never do. His HUMAN consciousness is IDENTICAL to God's Holy Spirit.

That is how He is the only Way to God and how He has permanently connected all HUMAN consciousness with God. Because His human consciousness was "born again" as Spirit (as ours will be), He abides with us within our consciousness in His name as the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" as He promised.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:23 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Old 10-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be because I do not see an angry God in Jesus Christ on the Cross, and I did not meet an angry one in meditation, Jimmie. I see the basic tenet of Christianity as Jesus died BECAUSE OF our sins. The result is the same. We are saved by His sacrifice on the Cross because He did what we could never do. His HUMAN consciousness is IDENTICAL to God's Holy Spirit.

That is how He is the only Way to God and how He has permanently connected all HUMAN consciousness with God. Because His human consciousness was "born again" as Spirit (as ours will be), He abides with us within our consciousness in His name as the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" as He promised.
Exhibit A

Old 10-04-2021, 11:17 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,334 times
Quote:
No one is arguing that God is love and that He forgives sin. Mystic receives strong pushback because he rejects the basic tenet of Christianity, that Jesus died FOR our sins, as ordained by the Father from before time began.
You completely misunderstand what it is Mystic is saying. Read it again. You bear false witness and this is why NO ONE should go easy on you fire and brimstone believers.

Matthew 11:17 bears witness as well.

"We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn."

God ordains ALL things so that argument is fruitless, that is, Jesus being ordained by God before time began to die for us. He and I and others , many by the way, know Jesus died BECAUSE of us, not because of God. Do you really think His anger needed cooling off to the point of torturing and beating beyond recognition His own Son? Oh my God if you do. Again, He died BECAUSE of us.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:41 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Isn’t it true that your church believes the Bible, both OT and NT, is the revealed word of God, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit?
Quote:
According to the Catechism, “We understand the meaning of the Bible by the help of the Holy Spirit, who guides the Church in the true interpretation of the Scriptures” (p. 853-4)
https://www.episcopalchurch.org/what-we-believe/bible/

Old 10-04-2021, 11:41 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Heck, even I dont believe that, nothing stands next to the law and the prophets when a God made a final end of his speaking.

Also, who has the correct bibles whether you speak of the old or the new?

I sure wouldnt take letters that a Jew in Judaism wrote to Gentiles to then try and put them on the same shelf with the law and the prophets..

Old 10-04-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
You completely misunderstand what it is Mystic is saying. Read it again. You bear false witness and this is why NO ONE should go easy on you fire and brimstone believers.

Matthew 11:17 bears witness as well.

"We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn."

God ordains ALL things so that argument is fruitless, that is, Jesus being ordained by God before time began to die for us. He and I and others , many by the way, know Jesus died BECAUSE of us, not because of God. Do you really think His anger needed cooling off to the point of torturing and beating beyond recognition His own Son? Oh my God if you do. Again, He died BECAUSE of us.
You made my point. You, Mystic and most of the liberals here reject the CLEAR plan of God from before time began, according to scripture, to offer Jesus as sacrifice for our sins. Hence why every Christian church displays a cross and observes Holy Communion.

Isaiah 53, Acts 2:23, 2 Cor. 5:21, 1 Peter 1:20

That is why Mystic receives strong pushback. His beliefs (and yours) are NOT Christianity as defined, but might generously be described as “following Jesus”, minus salvation.

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 10-04-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity