Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 01:03 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what I do like about this forum. It provides an opportunity for the deeper exploration of Christianity, which is often shut down by the Bible worshipers in other places.

You might enjoy the work of Richard Rohr.

https://cac.org/category/daily-medit...content=footer

Re the Bible, of course it has relevance when one bears in mind that it is the work of men and their own seeking of God, which laid the foundation for us. However, there is no reason to assign divinity to the words or to limit Christian thought and spirituality to what's contained in those covers.
Thats why I like this forum too MQ

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-04-2021 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 01:25 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You made my point. You, Mystic and most of the liberals here reject the CLEAR plan of God from before time began, according to scripture, to offer Jesus as sacrifice for our sins. Hence why every Christian church displays a cross and observes Holy Communion.

Isaiah 53, Acts 2:23, 2 Cor. 5:21, 1 Peter 1:20

That is why Mystic receives strong pushback. His (and yours) beliefs are NOT Christianity as defined, but might generously be described as “following Jesus”, minus salvation.
Jimmie, it seems to me that the liberal is a counterweight/counterbalance to the natural building up of church systems and there is a need for a revolution, revival, and these things are cyclical

What I believe we collectively should do is have an honest look at church history over the past 2000 years which is a continuum that has swung between the left/right, up/down, orthodox/heretic and see the influence of it on societal development

This is the same thing that happened 2000 years ago, 1500 years ago, 500 years ago

Mat 1:21**And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mat 1:22**Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
Mat 1:23**Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:51 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
You made my point. You, Mystic and most of the liberals here reject the CLEAR plan of God from before time began, according to scripture, to offer Jesus as sacrifice for our sins. Hence why every Christian church displays a cross and observes Holy Communion.

Isaiah 53, Acts 2:23, 2 Cor. 5:21, 1 Peter 1:20

That is why Mystic receives strong pushback. His beliefs (and yours) are NOT Christianity as defined, but might generously be described as “following Jesus”, minus salvation.
It is not minus salvation! We do not disagree about ANY of that, Jimmie. We just disagree about WHY it was necessary, WHO demanded the sacrifice, HOW what He did saved us, and WHY He is the Only Way to God.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:00 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is not minus salvation! We do not disagree about ANY of that, Jimmie. We just disagree about WHY it was necessary, WHO demanded the sacrifice, HOW what He did saved us, and WHY He is the Only Way to God.
Mystic, I responded to this in this thread.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:02 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
The difference is where we get those answers.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:53 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
Quote:
jimmie, without using scripture, can you describe why God sent His Son? For our sins but what does that mean? What exactly is a sacrifice?

Old 10-04-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
jimmie, without using scripture, can you describe why God sent His Son? For our sins but what does that mean? What exactly is a sacrifice?
The wisdom of God devised a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God while not compromising the righteousness of God. -John Piper, author of “Desiring God”

Old 10-04-2021, 05:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
The wisdom of God devised a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God while not compromising the righteousness of God. -John Piper, author of “Desiring God”
In order to save another child from your wrath, you punish your own child; and in doing so, you are exhibiting your love and righteousness?

Old 10-04-2021, 05:58 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
That would be because I do not see an angry God in Jesus Christ on the Cross, and I did not meet an angry one in meditation, Jimmie. I see the basic tenet of Christianity as Jesus died BECAUSE OF our sins. The result is the same. We are saved by His sacrifice on the Cross because He did what we could never do. His HUMAN consciousness is IDENTICAL to God's Holy Spirit.

That is how He is the only Way to God and how He has permanently connected all HUMAN consciousness with God. Because His human consciousness was "born again" as Spirit (as ours will be), He abides with us within our consciousness in His name as the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" as He promised.
Quote:
Quote:
We believe in the same Lord and Savior, Jimmie, and from the same source of the answers. I just see a very different Jesus in that source than you do. What is missing from my explanation of how He saved us from our imperfections (sins), how His Grace covers our imperfections, and why He is the ONLY WAY to God, Jimmie?

Old 10-04-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
We believe in the same Lord and Savior, Jimmie, and from the same source of the answers. I just see a very different Jesus in that source than you do. What is missing from my explanation of how He saved us from our imperfections (sins), how His Grace covers our imperfections, and why He is the ONLY WAY to God, Jimmie?
That’s easy-the power in the blood of the Lamb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity