Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 07:57 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Meerkat 2 Have you ever been to prison or been a criminal defendant ? ( Its ok to admit it here) If not you'd be perfectly suited to serve some time. Every criminal at one time or the other says "They do it too!" "I'm not the only one" Guess what it doesn't work! GASP! I prosecuted bunches of them who sounded just like you.

Here you have a church with well over 4000 documented cases- "yes yes but didnt a methodist do this too once"
What are you talking about?

I am an average person who lives an average life and can see that there is a societal problem - I was agreeing with minivans statement about the corruption in church structures that allow for abuse of children, and that goes against the teachings of the person they claim to follow

I’m not really sure what the answer is but I agree that it is the responsibility of any church, any organisation, to endeavour to address it as they are able

Culture is very hard to change and it takes real commitment to achieve it in my opinion

Not sure why you think I am a criminal.... ?? But no I’m not, and never have been

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-25-2021 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 08:27 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
What are you talking about?

I am an average person who lives an average life and can see that there is a societal problem - I was agreeing with minivans statement about the corruption in church structures that allow for abuse of children, and that goes against the teachings of the person they claim to follow

I’m not really sure what the answer is but I agree that it is the responsibility of any church, any organisation, to endeavour to address it as they are able

Culture is very hard to change and it takes real commitment to achieve it in my opinion

Not sure why you think I am a criminal.... ?? But no I’m not, and never have been
The guy's a prosecutor ...he sees 'criminal' in everyone.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:28 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Thanks for the heads up .... I’ll ignore the dig then

Old 10-26-2021, 04:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times
Quote:

The guy WAS a prosecutor-- As I work part-time now I do Criminal Defense. So much for your dumb stereotypes. What I do know is a lot about the Criminal Justice System. Your background?

Old 10-26-2021, 05:21 AM

614 posts, read 173,278 times
I don't think it is a bad idea to allow this topic to spread to how it isn't necessarily the Catholic Church that has a child abuse problem. Humanity has a child abuse problem. As we also have a domestic abuse problem.

Everything, for us each as individuals, is parsed according to how we have a self. We confuse love with possession. Possession makes our selves happy, but it is not the same thing as being loved, or loving. It gives our selves a check box that it can be happy to check off, but it doesn't actually address any of the issues about self development and the role of others in the universe of the self. It doesn't teach us that something non-local can be as important, in terms of what we consider sovereignty to be, as the central self can be.

I believe all of these problems are related to love. There is a lack of it.

I was trying to get at how people become these sorts of abusers. The most obvious answer is that they were raised into it. We don't know, however, what part of our societal construct it was that did that. Whenever we try to address that subject somebody always pipes up with how so many of the things being criticized about what we put children through are good for them. And the concern that we might be harming them is misplaced.

That's just about exactly what you would expect an abuser, an addict in fact, to say when they realize their supply is about to get cut. It's also what you would expect to hear from people with a legitimate concern about children. We may be messing them up, but we don't want to take away the defense mechanisms that have kept us from falling all the way either. We need to think before we do.

I was wondering if, when we do find out how to help these people, we will be able to help those who are already so far gone that they have sexual attraction for children, as opposed to only being able to stop the progression? Same goes for rapists, and those who use violence against those closest to them in order to maintain their own thing. I hope we can find solutions that reach that far. There hasn't been much success with this so far, but maybe as we understand the science, and our minds, better we will be able?

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 10-26-2021 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 10-29-2021, 06:03 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
By the way, let's be clear. It's just the JWs and the Catholics who have the problems. It's the Fundies, too. Here are two nuggets, one of which broke today.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...s-who-reported

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-13588038.php

To me, it boils down a very simple principle. When you have organizations with centralized power run by people convinced of their own righteousness, you get the recipe for evil. Not only that, but you have people who are willing to warp Christian teachings in order to abet evil. And people are too brainwashed to not recognize it.

Let's be clear. Churches are human institutions, run by fallible people. Individuals will misbehave. It is up to the institutions to put a halt to that misconduct, not sweep it under the rug. Doing anything less is a betrayal of Christ's teachings, no matter how many Bible verses you gin up to justify repulsive behavior.

Lets be double clear, neither Jehovah's witnesses, nor the Catholics consider that acceptable behavior for their adherents. Jehovah's witnesses disfellowship individuals who practice that sin.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:37 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Lets be double clear, neither Jehovah's witnesses, nor the Catholics consider that acceptable behavior for their adherents. Jehovah's witnesses disfellowship individuals who practice that sin.
Hiding behind your two witness rule, your organization has allowed over 1000 perpetrators to evade justice. That's well documented and indefensible.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:28 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post

If an organization doesn't notify the authorities when such behavior comes to its attention, then it consents to it. Any thing else is self-justifying palaver.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:04 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Hiding behind your two witness rule, your organization has allowed over 1000 perpetrators to evade justice. That's well documented and indefensible.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:10 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
They see criminals everywhere unless you report a crime, if you report a crime they automatically think you are lying, I mean what kind of person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity