Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:31 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times

Advertisements

There have been so many pedophile priest cases and so many coverups - what is the excuse Catholics have for them? "God acts in mysterious ways?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 07:47 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Speaking as a Catholic, there is no excuse. There are very evil men within the Church - wolves in sheep's clothing.

They ought to be executed.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:01 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Speaking as a Catholic, there is no excuse. There are very evil men within the Church - wolves in sheep's clothing.

They ought to be executed.
What's the point? According to your belief system they will be forever tormented in hell anyway.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
What's the point? According to your belief system they will be forever tormented in hell anyway.

Oh great so every murderer and rapist should repeat your crap as a reason to not be punished.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:20 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Oh great so every murderer and rapist should repeat your crap as a reason to not be punished.
Get a grip, WG. I was responding to someone in particular who promotes the concept of eternal hell.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You're asking me for a treatise on why capital punishment is justified within a framework of the belief in hell?

Old 10-02-2021, 05:10 AM

614 posts, read 173,278 times
I am astonished the Church doesn't use this as a means to address the connection to what make us, how that can be abuse, and who we become as adults. Instead of discovering why people commit these crimes, and attempting to gain some wisdom as to how to stop it at the source, we want to judge those who have committed the crimes. I think that way is less effective at bringing change.

It is admirable to want to get rid of the influence. These sorts of crimes begat more criminals because they distort the worldview of those upon whom these crimes have been committed, causing many of them to become like that as well. But I am of the opinion that reward gets more results than punishment. No, we don't know how to fix these people. We won't, either, until we decide we will. All we have ever done is punish, or allow. I don't know what the allow part is about. I fear it means that something about this issue actually touches upon too many human beings for anybody to enter into the conversation without shame.

Knowing there are these sorts of people, and what they are like, the Church enters into a bargain. They can't find enough priests. Instead of letting the market, lack of priests, speak to those who need to be "called," the Church allows these sorts of people in to make up the numbers. The Catholic Church either needs to come to grips with the issue of celibacy for priests, or figure out how to organize themselves so that they can function properly with fewer priests. The fear of accepting the new organization is the problem.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:57 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
There have been so many pedophile priest cases and so many coverups - what is the excuse Catholics have for them? "God acts in mysterious ways?"

People are sinners, but you cannot blame the Catholic faith, as they teach that to be an unacceptable practice. Obviously if a Catholic is doing that, then he really isn't a Catholic is he, his fruits has shown what he actually is.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
I am astonished the Church doesn't use this as a means to address the connection to what make us, how that can be abuse, and who we become as adults. Instead of discovering why people commit these crimes, and attempting to gain some wisdom as to how to stop it at the source, we want to judge those who have committed the crimes. I think that way is less effective at bringing change.

It is admirable to want to get rid of the influence. These sorts of crimes begat more criminals because they distort the worldview of those upon whom these crimes have been committed, causing many of them to become like that as well. But I am of the opinion that reward gets more results than punishment. No, we don't know how to fix these people. We won't, either, until we decide we will. All we have ever done is punish, or allow. I don't know what the allow part is about. I fear it means that something about this issue actually touches upon too many human beings for anybody to enter into the conversation without shame.

Knowing there are these sorts of people, and what they are like, the Church enters into a bargain. They can't find enough priests. Instead of letting the market, lack of priests, speak to those who need to be "called," the Church allows these sorts of people in to make up the numbers. The Catholic Church either needs to come to grips with the issue of celibacy for priests, or figure out how to organize themselves so that they can function properly with fewer priests. The fear of accepting the new organization is the problem.
A married pedophile is still a pedophile. Celibacy is not the problem.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:01 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A married pedophile is still a pedophile. Celibacy is not the problem.
It may be the problem, or it may be a significant contributing factor. I doubt that the celibacy rule is completely irrelevant to the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity