Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 11:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times

Advertisements

No other book can predict with absolute accuracy what will happen hundreds of years in advance but the Bible has done it many times. If you want a reason to believe look at Gods chosen people in Israel.........they were devastated by Rome and the temple destroyed in 70AD, 1.1 millions Jews were killed and the rest scattered all over the world. Now look at Israel post 1948 where the people have returned from the 4 corners of the world with their beliefs and customs intact. That has never happened ever. Israel is a tiny country yet Jesus has said HE will protect them and they will ALWAYS exist even in eternity. The funny thing is the Jews don't even think God is helping them at all, yet HE is faithful and they will always be here.

Also you may look at Josh Mcdowells books.......he started out being a skeptic and set out to prove God doesn't exist, instead he was convinced Jesus was everything the book has claimed and now he's a super believer.

Good luck in your journey.........pray to Jesus to make Himself REAL to you and He will honor that request..........

There are NO believers who have regretted making a decision for Christ........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 01:33 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
The truth is, get the baptism of Holy Spirit who is God, and through Jesus, which is the only way to know the truth ..... See people who ignore this will be blind to the truth and would only legalize the bible which is idolatry to God, as God need faith and the bible is anointed with the power of Christ ..... Many churches leave out the baptism of Holy Spirit which is the grace of the power of God will come through the cross of Christ, and part of this grace of God comes understanding of the scriptures through the eyes of God, and not through the eyes of dragon devil who rejects Jesus and those who keep the commands of Jesus

Old 10-09-2021, 01:49 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I think I believed the Bible was divinely inspired because that is simply what I was told. I am not sure any of the sophisticated arguments I read made me doubt less/believe more.
In other words, you believed in the inspiration of the Bible because you believed an extra-biblical tradition. As I noted earlier, most Christians in the world have no problem with that idea -- but most Protestants certainly do. The question then becomes either a) how does a Protestant solve this problem?, or b) why insist on having this problem by insisting on being a Protestant?

Old 10-09-2021, 01:57 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
When one is a believer in Christ today (through faith in the gospel) - the presence of God is within that person through the Holy Spirit.

Then it becomes a matter of whether or not you are going to have faith in God or not. God communicates to His children through the Holy Spirit, and through the Bible (which the Holy Spirit is responsible for - 2 Pet. 1:21), and through other believers who have the Holy Spirit.

It's similar to a child who knows nothing, but trusts in its parents for love, care, etc. Children experience the love from their parents and through continued interaction, they trust them.

Believers interact with God and experience His love, and should grow to trust Him more than ourselves.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Trusting in the LORD in itself is not just believing in your mind. And understanding is not like mans nor are His ways as mans so He can only make your paths straight if you acquire His ways and understanding.

Old 10-09-2021, 02:03 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
In other words, you believed in the inspiration of the Bible because you believed an extra-biblical tradition. As I noted earlier, most Christians in the world have no problem with that idea -- but most Protestants certainly do. The question then becomes either a) how does a Protestant solve this problem?, or b) why insist on having this problem by insisting on being a Protestant?
Well, I solved the problem by no longer believing the Bible was divinely inspired.

Old 10-09-2021, 02:09 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Well, I solved the problem by no longer believing the Bible was divinely inspired.
So, the baby goes out with the dirty bathwater?

Old 10-09-2021, 02:23 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
There is significant empirical evidence that the Bible is true in every respect - and exceeds the power and historical efforts, wisdom and knowledge of mankind: Prophecy, Archaeological, Scientific, Literary, Claims, Life-changing power, Harmony, Indestructibility, Mathematical evidence, Holy Spirit affirmation and power. For more details: Ucanknowthetruth.com ---

The Bible is God's accurate, reliable, unchanging Truth standard. Without Scripture, there is no consistently and verifiably reliable truth standard .... that has also stood the test of time. Scripture/The Bible is indeed the inspired Word of God -- and profitable for reproof, doctrine and correction that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

Claims of "I don't believe the Bible" or "The Bible is just an ancient book" -- are specious and without merit..

Old 10-09-2021, 02:25 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
So, the baby goes out with the dirty bathwater?
Didn’t see any baby in my bath water

Old 10-09-2021, 03:04 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Didn’t see any baby in my bath water
Unlikely to excuse your child abandonment and abuse charges! j/k

Old 10-09-2021, 03:45 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The Bible is God's accurate, reliable, unchanging Truth standard.
The problem with this sweeping claim is that the Bible itself never says that, nor does it tell you how to believe which books belong in the Bible, and which don't. If the Bible is God's accurate Truth standard, what is the accurate, reliable, unchanging standard for determining what constitutes the Bible? To give you an example of what I am talking about, is the Book of Esther part of the Bible? How do you know for sure, if the Bible itself never says so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity