Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:38 AM

1,161 posts, read 467,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He BELIEVED God was speaking through him and the apostles. Obviously his beliefs were influenced by his culture; for example, the ridiculous strictures against women cutting their hair or not speaking in a religious setting. God had nothing to do with that, lol.
And you know this how, "lol"?

Paul was actually very careful to note when he was voicing his own opinion, as opposed to delivering God's word.
Quote:
Paul was not being a jackwagon, though. He truly thought that was the correct thing to say, given his background, and frankly, it probably worked in that time and place. It doesn't work in this time and place.
Virtually nothing biblical works "in this time and place" because this time and place are depraved. While you cite the verses about women, in fact your "lol" extends to far more consequential matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 10:50 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Actually, I am a duly-baptized Southern Baptist, granted entry to Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary upon the recommendation of multiple pastors.

The issue isn't how I am different from you. The issue is why the Southern Baptist Convention is crumbling like a stale cookie over doctrinal issues. The issue is why the Southern Baptists and thousands of other denominations hold such different doctrines while all purporting to adhere to sola scriptura.

I happen to believe, at the end of a long and winding road, that there is one keeper of the original Christian message: The Eastern Orthodox Church. Had the Great Schism and Protestant Reformation not occurred, the problem identified by the OP would not exist.
You didn’t answer my question. The answer is there is no difference really.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:14 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Ha, I've seen that painting of Jesus whispering into the ear of St. Matthew, so some people do believe that.

But yes, I do know that most people don't consider it literally dictated.

The use of the word was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but still, the idea exists that divine inspiration means that it was written as God wanted it written and that therefore it cannot be wrong.

I don't agree with that. It is inspired by the faith and beliefs and perspectives of the authors, perhaps, but that doesn't mean that it is infallible. Nothing humans do is.

This does not mean it has no value. There's an oddity in these conversations, which is not surprising considering a lot of the black-and-white/good vs. evil thinking, that if one does not believe it is literally divinely inspired, why they must be discarding Scripture all together.

It's simply untrue and kind of a sleazy accusation to make against non-fundamentalist Christians.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:30 AM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
It's accuracy in prophecy. Take for example Job 26:7 which states that the earth hangs upon nothing, that statement was written before 1500 BCE, yet that was completely unknown for millenniums afterward.
First, a description of the physical world is not a "prophecy." Second, any number of ancient peoples believed that the god who created the world hung it on "nothing", and this also says nothing about the shape of the world.

Quote:
Isa 40:22 brings out the earth is a circle,
Unfortunately for the point you are trying to make, this statement is an error: the earth is absolutely not a flat, two-dimensional "circle", but is instead a sphere, which is a very different thing. Furthermore, despite what the end of the verse says, the sky is nothing at all like a curtain or a tent; this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the heavens.

Quote:
do you remember Jill how we were taught in school how the earth was flat until Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.
If that is what you were taught in school, then you obviously went to a grotesquely inferior school where they taught you rubbish and lies. All educated people in Europe in Columbus's day thought the world was a sphere, and the idea of a spherical earth had been commonly accepted among educated people since at least the 5th Century B.C. For example, in the Phaedo, Plato (who died in 347 BC) has Socrates say "the first thing of which I am convinced is that if the earth is a sphere in the middle of the heavens, it has no need of air or any other force to prevent it from falling." Furthermore, Eratosthenes correctly calculated the circumference of the earth in 240 BC. Columbus had read Eratosthenes, but thought his calculations were wrong, and that the earth was smaller and that Asia was fairly close to Europe. As it turned out, Columbus was wrong, and Eratosthenes was right.

It's a pity you didn't go to a school where they taught fact instead of fiction.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
First, a description of the physical world is not a "prophecy." Second, any number of ancient peoples believed that the god who created the world hung it on "nothing", and this also says nothing about the shape of the world.

Unfortunately for the point you are trying to make, this statement is an error: the earth is absolutely not a flat, two-dimensional "circle", but is instead a sphere, which is a very different thing. Furthermore, despite what the end of the verse says, the sky is nothing at all like a curtain or a tent; this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the heavens.

If that is what you were taught in school, then you obviously went to a grotesquely inferior school where they taught you rubbish and lies. All educated people in Europe in Columbus's day thought the world was a sphere, and the idea of a spherical earth had been commonly accepted among educated people since at least the 5th Century B.C. For example, in the Phaedo, Plato (who died in 347 BC) has Socrates say "the first thing of which I am convinced is that if the earth is a sphere in the middle of the heavens, it has no need of air or any other force to prevent it from falling." Furthermore, Eratosthenes correctly calculated the circumference of the earth in 240 BC. Columbus had read Eratosthenes, but thought his calculations were wrong, and that the earth was smaller and that Asia was fairly close to Europe. As it turned out, Columbus was wrong, and Eratosthenes was right.

It's a pity you didn't go to a school where they taught fact instead of fiction.
His religion actually discourages education beyond what they profess.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:52 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

Paul was actually very careful to note when he was voicing his own opinion, as opposed to delivering God's word.

Virtually nothing biblical works "in this time and place" because this time and place are depraved. While you cite the verses about women, in fact your "lol" extends to far more consequential matters.
What consequential matters are you referencing?

Old 10-10-2021, 12:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
For all you Protestants out there, how do you know that the Bible is of divine inspiration? I am not talking about literal inerrancy here, although if you do believe that, you can also say why you believe that.

I just read a debate among ELCA Lutheran ministers on this subject. One insisted that only parts of the Bible were divinely-inspired — the meaningful parts, the parts that contain the core of God’s message — and the rest is just human. But then, we have humans deciding what the core of God’s message is — what is divinely inspired and what is not — which seems odd and logically-flawed to me.

Thanks!
sorry, i am not a Protestant. but i have an answer:
"36Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached? 37If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord"

Old 10-10-2021, 01:48 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:

<snipped>
Because a) Paul was human, and b) God is not a jerk.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Because a) Paul was human, and b) God is not a jerk.
LOL I love the conciseness of it!

Old 10-10-2021, 02:01 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
LOL I love the conciseness of it!
It could have been more concise. I should have left off "a jerk". Paul was human, God is not.

Only a human tries persuades other humans that there are certain groups of humans who are not equal to themselves or subject to different rules and treatments. If there is an inborn sin, a flaw in our humanity, it is that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity