Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2021, 03:29 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because a) Paul was human, and b) God is not a jerk.
But, of course, all the authors of the Bible were human. Nevertheless, Jews and Christians have accepted the writings as divinely inspired. It appears that your criterion is whether a biblical passage "makes God look like a jerk" in your opinion. I think there is some fundamental confusion here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 06:09 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
But, of course, all the authors of the Bible were human. Nevertheless, Jews and Christians have accepted the writings as divinely inspired. It appears that your criterion is whether a biblical passage "makes God look like a jerk" in your opinion. I think there is some fundamental confusion here.
An odd conclusion to draw, so there is indeed some fundamental confusion.

Yes, traditionally Jews and Christians accepted the writings as divinely inspired. It certainly helped maintain religious cohesion, except when it did the opposite.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:20 PM

270 posts, read 194,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How do you know that the Bible is divinely-inspired?

We are not called to KNOW. We are called to have FAITH.

Hebrews 11:6a - And without faith it is impossible to please Him
Exactly. No buts about it, as buts just ignore the meaning of faith.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:22 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzarkLady View Post
Exactly. No buts about it, as buts just ignore the meaning of faith.
The verse refers to faith in God, not faith in the Bible.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The verse refers to faith in God, not faith in the Bible.
The Bible has become an idol of worship, although many will deny it.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
it was accepted by ancients when ties between three major components body- soul- spirit was weaker than now and spirit separation of the three was normal event, spirit travel was more or less common (shamans, spiritual element) Now this fact is not very well understood.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:52 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Yes, the Bible says that the earth hangs on nothing. Instead, it says that the earth rests on pillars. And a circle is not a sphere. The circle being referred to is the horizon. When you look at the horizon and turn around 360 degrees you see the circle of the horizon. The Bible does present a flat earth with a hard solid dome above it.

The Bible does not present modern day cosmology. It presents the ancient cosmology of an ancient Near Eastern people.

I have submitted many times Mike that the Bible does not contradict itself, therefore when you see a contradiction as you have just posted, more research is needed to understand what is being stated. Obviously the earth is not flat, therefore the logic is that the error in understanding must lie with the flat earth, so what is actually being said in those verses sir?

Old 10-11-2021, 05:58 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
First, a description of the physical world is not a "prophecy." Second, any number of ancient peoples believed that the god who created the world hung it on "nothing", and this also says nothing about the shape of the world.

Unfortunately for the point you are trying to make, this statement is an error: the earth is absolutely not a flat, two-dimensional "circle", but is instead a sphere, which is a very different thing. Furthermore, despite what the end of the verse says, the sky is nothing at all like a curtain or a tent; this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the heavens.

If that is what you were taught in school, then you obviously went to a grotesquely inferior school where they taught you rubbish and lies. All educated people in Europe in Columbus's day thought the world was a sphere, and the idea of a spherical earth had been commonly accepted among educated people since at least the 5th Century B.C. For example, in the Phaedo, Plato (who died in 347 BC) has Socrates say "the first thing of which I am convinced is that if the earth is a sphere in the middle of the heavens, it has no need of air or any other force to prevent it from falling." Furthermore, Eratosthenes correctly calculated the circumference of the earth in 240 BC. Columbus had read Eratosthenes, but thought his calculations were wrong, and that the earth was smaller and that Asia was fairly close to Europe. As it turned out, Columbus was wrong, and Eratosthenes was right.

It's a pity you didn't go to a school where they taught fact instead of fiction.

Everything I stated is in fact; fact! The earth does hang upon nothing, it is in fact round, and virtually everyone has heard this taught at school, In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue, google it if you have never heard it. We were taught that the general idea was in that day that the earth was flat, and that many thought Columbus would sail of the end of the earth. I would assume they still teach that, but of course it has been over a half of a century since I was taught that, likely school has changed radically since I attended.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:41 AM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Everything I stated is in fact; fact!
No, it isn't. You stated that the verses you cited proved that the Bible "prophesied" a modern understanding of a spherical earth. First, you seem not to know what a "prophecy" is; there is no "prophesying" going on in those verses when it comes to the description of the earth. Second, the verses from Isaiah clearly indicate that the writer thought the earth was circular but flat, and not a sphere, and that the sky was a single solid thing, like a tent or a dome. You refuse to see this, because of your prior prejudice that assumes that everything in the Bible must be scientific fact.

Quote:
The earth does hang upon nothing, it is in fact round,
The earth is round.
A bicycle tire is round.
Is the earth shaped like a bicycle tire?

Quote:
We were taught that the general idea was in that day that the earth was flat, and that many thought Columbus would sail of the end of the earth.
I know what you were taught; you already told us this. What I told you is that you were taught rubbish and lies, because no educated people in that day thought that the earth was flat. Just because you were "taught" something by people who didn't know what they were talking about does not mean that the foolishness they introduced into your mind had any truth to it at all.

Quote:
I would assume they still teach that,
Why do you assume that schools today are as bad as the joke of a school you attended, and still teach this stupid lie?

Old 10-11-2021, 08:44 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
I have submitted many times Mike that the Bible does not contradict itself, therefore when you see a contradiction as you have just posted, more research is needed to understand what is being stated. Obviously the earth is not flat, therefore the logic is that the error in understanding must lie with the flat earth, so what is actually being said in those verses sir?
What is actually being said in those verses is what the ancient Hebrews believed, namely that the earth is flat and rests on pillars. The Bible reflects the ancient cosmology of the ancient Near East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity