Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 10:16 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My point is that that's not what it says. It says we must endure to the end and be willing to keep His commandments if we want to be saved. I'm speaking of sanctification, here, by the way, because that's all that really matters. If everybody else is saved for doing nothing, then "once saved, always saved" is a moot point.
And Jesus says that he will lose none. So you can read that to be some kind of conditional performance-earned reward, but Jesus explicitly stated otherwise. He will lose none.
Quote:
And that sound suspiciously as if you're saying that the way we live our lives actually does matter after all.
Of course it matters. My life demonstrates my faith. But my performance is not a condition of salvation, thankfully. Because salvation is of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 10:34 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And Jesus says that he will lose none. So you can read that to be some kind of conditional performance-earned reward, but Jesus explicitly stated otherwise. He will lose none.
Of course it matters. My life demonstrates my faith. But my performance is not a condition of salvation, thankfully. Because salvation is of God.
But your sanctification IS a condition of what you will face as a saved Spirit in the next life.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:25 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But your sanctification IS a condition of what you will face as a saved Spirit in the next life.
Yes, I'm troubled by the fact that my spiritually-advanced sisters (and others, of course) will be on a much higher "rung" in heaven than I will be. Since I spent most of my adulthood as agnostic.

I felt my childhood "salvation" had to be reiterated as an adult when I "came back" a few years ago.

Now I'm WAY behind!

Old 10-30-2021, 12:33 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I'm troubled by the fact that my spiritually-advanced sisters (and others, of course) will be on a much higher "rung" in heaven than I will be. Since I spent most of my adulthood as agnostic.

I felt my childhood "salvation" had to be reiterated as an adult when I "came back" a few years ago.

Now I'm WAY behind!
We each have our path, gift ....... even our time away, and apart is beneficial for us and contribute to who we are as individuals

I believe it is a mistake to compare ourselves to each other or judge each other, we each have our own individuality and things that we can, will and do contribute to each other (I am drawn to the symbolism, timing, prophecy, fulfillment, sharing, aspects)

This is part of what the 1 Corinthians 12 passage is meaning about the many membered body, each part has its own place and part to play

Old 10-30-2021, 01:46 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So are you saying that you believe in universal reconciliation after all? I'm shocked.

Quote:
I agree. But each man will be rewarded according to his works.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:32 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,944 times
Quote:

Now I'm WAY behind!
Rereading Luke 15 parables about the lost sheep, the lost coin and the prodigal son and Matthew 20 where the workers in the vineyard get equal pay regardless of whether they began work early, midday or late may help you with your troubled feelings.

John 14. 1,2 & 3 where Christ is talking about preparing a place for you begins with "Do not let your heart be troubled. It ends with "You know where I am going and you know the way"

The angels always say, " be not afraid".

I hope you can find peace of mind.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:42 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:

Now I'm WAY behind!
The Lord doesn't just measure height, S&S. He also measures growth. Also, I'm assuming that you're familiar with the parable of the workers in the vineyard Matthew 20:1-14. That should give you reason to be optimistic about the rung you'll be on in heaven.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:00 AM

12 posts, read 3,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No one is righteous. That's a human fable. As long as sin and failure are present, we'll fall short. But we have the chance to live in Christ's will and direction, with effort. That's all that matters.

Cast out all religious creeds and labels (stumbling blocks for stupidity).
Jesus has already proven your theory to be not true.
So why do you still believe it? Please explain?

Old 10-31-2021, 11:40 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The Lord doesn't just measure height, S&S. He also measures growth. Also, I'm assuming that you're familiar with the parable of the workers in the vineyard Matthew 20:1-14. That should give you reason to be optimistic about the rung you'll be on in heaven.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:11 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
So if tomorrow you renounce Christ, leave your wife, and live a hedonistic and adulterous lifestyle, you'll still go to heaven if you die in the midst of living that lifestyle?
That's correct.

I cannot actually renounce Christ though. That would presuppose that I have ownership rights over myself, but the scripture says I am not my own (1 Cor 6:19-20). I am a slave ("doulos") of Jesus Christ. A slave cannot renounce his master. Only my Master's will matters, and He has sealed me with that Holy Spirit of promise. He will not lose any of His sheep. And, as Jesus said, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven.

Quote:
You're presuming too much. Remember the parable about the seeds? We are given no indication in Acts as to the "type of ground" any of the 3000 were.
Well, we know it's not the seed that fell by the way side! So that narrows it down to the seed that fell upon stony places or the one the fell among thorns or the one that fell into good ground. All three of those "types of ground" are saved - eternally saved. Only the seed that fell by the way side refers to the unsaved. That being the case, one can safely say that no matter what happens after being saved, and receiving the earnest of the Spirit--God will most certainly fulfill His promise of eternal life without the loss of one of His people, just as He promised. Just as not a bone was broken in the body of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity