Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 10:14 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times

Advertisements

Adversity is a principle that results in active resistance, opposition, or contentiousness within the human nature. And the Hebrew term for Satan merely describes an adversarial role (an opponent or adversary). Whereas, an accuser (slanderer, devil) is known for his unrighteous disposition. However, the principalities and powers of unholy (human) messengers, had inculcated the doctrines of demons, devils and Satan in the early views of men; falsely fostering and prospering them. Truth becomes known, when deception falls away (that of self-induced blindness). Christ denounced these doctrines and traditions of men within the Spirit of truth as the ego driven desires are within men, resist them.

Those who live according to the human nature have their mind set on what their nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their mind set on what the Spirit wants: Along came the tempter; the lust of the eyes (understanding of the mind), lust of the flesh (a heart of emotion) and the pride of life (the desires of the will). Thus, while the first Adam conceded to all that is in the world (that which extends deep down from the surface - yet, is visible through distinctive traits or characteristics common to all humanity); the second Adam stood his ground against the natural disposition of the soul and the temperament within that of other men.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 10:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven..."

Note that Jesus also saw Satan when he was tested in the wilderness.

If Jesus said he saw Satan, then I believe there is a Satan.

If Jesus said he cast out demons, then I believe there are demons.

I hate having to admit there are such things, because I fear them, but it is what it is. I can't explain why some Christians don't believe in Satan or demons. It took me a long time to really know that belief. Maybe they are just fearful like I am, or maybe they haven't yet read the bible. I don't know.
That's how I see it too, Igor. The language is pretty clear. It's uncomfortable for sure, but so is much of the Bible. I don't see this as metaphor.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It's a good question S&S and a good topic. Why should a believer in Christ Jesus, or why should someone who believes in God not believe in other supernatural beings which the Bible plainly says exists? Claiming as some people do that . . .''well, this is the 21st century and we know better now'' is not a valid reason. If angels and demons exist then they exist regardless of what century it is.
Exactly. There seems to be a lot of opposition to the concept of "other entities", why, I'm not sure.

It's actually somewhat of a "relief" to me, that much of the evil in the world is not due JUST to human activity, but to the influence of evil entities. Opposing this influence is our battle as Kingdom followers.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Revelation is a dangerous scripture for many reasons besides the difficulty of comprehension and interpretation. There are good reasons its addition to the canon was disputed and controversial.
Was it disputed? I didn't know that. I certainly don't "go there"---it's WAAAY over my head.

It would be interesting to post a poll on what believers actually think about Revelation. Prophesy vs relating to ancient times, etc.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:02 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,174,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven..."

Note that Jesus also saw Satan when he was tested in the wilderness.

If Jesus said he saw Satan, then I believe there is a Satan.

If Jesus said he cast out demons, then I believe there are demons.

I hate having to admit there are such things, because I fear them, but it is what it is. I can't explain why some Christians don't believe in Satan or demons. It took me a long time to really know that belief. Maybe they are just fearful like I am, or maybe they haven't yet read the bible. I don't know.
wilderness - solitude - is meditation state or trance.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:43 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Adversity is a principle that results in active resistance, opposition, or contentiousness within the human nature. And the Hebrew term for Satan merely describes an adversarial role (an opponent or adversary). Whereas, an accuser (slanderer, devil) is known for his unrighteous disposition. However, the principalities and powers of unholy (human) messengers, had inculcated the doctrines of demons, devils and Satan in the early views of men; falsely fostering and prospering them. Truth becomes known, when deception falls away (that of self-induced blindness). Christ denounced these doctrines and traditions of men within the Spirit of truth as the ego driven desires are within men, resist them.

Those who live according to the human nature have their mind set on what their nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their mind set on what the Spirit wants: Along came the tempter; the lust of the eyes (understanding of the mind), lust of the flesh (a heart of emotion) and the pride of life (the desires of the will). Thus, while the first Adam conceded to all that is in the world (that which extends deep down from the surface - yet, is visible through distinctive traits or characteristics common to all humanity); the second Adam stood his ground against the natural disposition of the soul and the temperament within that of other men.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:50 PM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times
I think many Quakers, certainly not all, believe in a loving God that saves all in the end. This means there is no hell or devil.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:53 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Was it disputed? I didn't know that. I certainly don't "go there"---it's WAAAY over my head.

It would be interesting to post a poll on what believers actually think about Revelation. Prophesy vs relating to ancient times, etc.
Here is the wiki on the books of the NT Canon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Develo...estament_canon

It wasn’t disputed by all, and there were other books disputed at the same time as well

Old 11-07-2021, 02:18 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know there is a large percentage of Christians who don't believe in the devil or other supernatural entities.

Makes sense for a non-believer, but as a Christian, what do you base your position on? Since you do believe in a supernatural God....

How do you regard the many Bible verses mentioning the "Dark Side"?
Many here deny demons.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:38 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Many here deny demons.
I’m not sure that it is many

I for one have a different understanding than the traditional interpretation of what demons are and the relationships that exist between the natural and supernatural
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity