Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe it's less about 'not believing', and more about 'not supporting' a system of constant worry/concern over evil.

The emphasis should instead be: 1) "greater is he who lives is us that he who is in the world" and 2) Jesus overcame the grave. We're already way past being stuck in and locked up with evil and misery.

We have too much positive and necessary work to do to be spending time on what's failed and been overruled. Look forward, not in the rearview mirror.
Couldn't rep, but very good.

Too much focus on this perceived battle between good and evil is unhealthy.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:04 AM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe it's less about 'not believing', and more about 'not supporting' a system of constant worry/concern over evil.

The emphasis should instead be: 1) "greater is he who lives is us that he who is in the world" and 2) Jesus overcame the grave. We're already way past being stuck in and locked up with evil and misery.

We have too much positive and necessary work to do to be spending time on what's failed and been overruled. Look forward, not in the rearview mirror.

The church: Be constantly thinking of the devil, and look for him everywhere. We'll help protect you from him.
Jesus: Victory is here. Live everyday in victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I repped him for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 11:16 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
@Michael Way

Came across this, which mentions Belial and describes the various forms and perceptions that Satan has taken over time. Quite interesting.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Chr...origin-of-evil
Thanks, MQ. Some things stated in the article I disagree with. Perhaps I'll address them later.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I disagree. But maybe that's just me.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I disagree. But maybe that's just me.
I know what MQ means, but we told that we are in a serious battle between good and evil on this earth. All the battle metaphors, warnings against principalities and powers, etc.

Remember the old hymn: "Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before...." or something like that. The Bible makes a big deal about our spiritual "war".

Old 11-08-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Go ahead, good idea.

I'd like to see if I am the only one who does not regard it as prophetic of "end times".
LOL, I don't know how to do a poll. Somebody else?

There is an unhealthy obsession with end times, too. I think that's why Jesus emphasized that no one knows the day or the hour, since the apostles were nagging him about it.

Yes, I am doubtful Revelation is about end times....

Old 11-08-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Many here deny demons.
Yes, many do deny. Dr. Michael Heiser (thanks Michael Way for turning me on to him) has an interesting take on what exactly demons are.

He thinks they are the disembodied spirits of the giants who were the offspring of the unnatural mating of human women with "angels". According to his book: "Demons".... It gets complicated, lol.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:13 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you familiar with the occult concept of an egregore, Meerkat? That is the kind of collective "spiritual entity" that could be what you are suggesting Satan is. I could accept the existence of such temporary entities comprised of the collective minds of living people. It could explain the inexplicable collective horror of the holocaust. But I just do not think there are any permanent spirit BEINGS, per se, that are evil.
I haven’t heard that term

That is a bit how I see it though

The grouping and assembling that we do does have power and is very influential in what we will allow and how I see it is that there is a need for people to be more aware of that - there gets to be a mob/nationalist type of mentality that overrides our own personal integrity/inner voice/conscience and that has to do with our very social nature and a need to fit in (peer pressure)

For me what happened in Germany stemmed from the Protestant reformation/reformation where the society developed a certain religious mindset of paranoia, very nationalistic

As humans this is the type of imbalance we face and was foretold about our development as a species - Not just in the Hebrew Scriptures but in the Roman and Greek writings as well

This seems to me to be what that Satan, adversary, devil is about

Eph 6:10**Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11**Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12**For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13**Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Eph 6:14**Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15**And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16**Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17**And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18**Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19**And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20**For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-08-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 12:32 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I haven’t heard that term

That is a bit how I see it though

The grouping and assembling that we do does have power and is very influential in what we will allow and how I see it is that there is a need for people to be more aware of that - there gets to be a mob/nationalist type of mentality that overrides our own personal integrity/inner voice/conscience and that has to do with our very social nature

For me what happened in Germany stemmed from the Protestant reformation/reformation where the society developed a certain religious mindset of paranoia

As humans this is the type of imbalance we face and was foretold about our development as a species - Not just in the Hebrew Scriptures but in the Roman and Greek writings as well

This seems to me to be what the Satan, adversary, devil is about
I can see that, Meerkat. It is why I have such faith in the power of sincere prayer warriors. There simply are not enough sincere ones in the world operating in the states of mind of the Holy Spirit as their guide. If only people would stop thinking of the Holy Spirit as some magical endowment that is inaccessible except to through magical rituals or whatnot.

The Holy Spirit is accessed by those states of mind taught and demonstrated by Jesus Christ and we are all capable of acting from those states of mind as I have frequently posted:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

Prayer warriors who get into these states of mind can be very powerful advocates before God because they draw the Comforter to them. They can achieve only what is good in those states of mind.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, many do deny. Dr. Michael Heiser (thanks Michael Way for turning me on to him) has an interesting take on what exactly demons are.

He thinks they are the disembodied spirits of the giants who were the offspring of the unnatural mating of human women with "angels". According to his book: "Demons".... It gets complicated, lol.
Yes. This is based on 2nd temple period Jewish works such as the book of 1 Enoch which states this.
[Chapter 6]

1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto 2 them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men 3 and beget us children.' And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: 'I fear ye will not 4 indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.' And they all answered him and said: 'Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations 5 not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.' Then sware they all together and bound themselves 6 by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn 7 and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Samlazaz, their leader, Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal, 8 Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaq1el, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, Sariel. These are their chiefs of tens.

[Chapter 15]

1 And He answered and said to me, and I heard His voice: 'Fear not, Enoch, thou righteous 2 man and scribe of righteousness: approach hither and hear my voice. And go, say to the Watchers of heaven, who have sent thee to intercede for them: "You should intercede" for men, and not men 3 for you: Wherefore have ye left the high, holy, and eternal heaven, and lain with women, and defiled yourselves with the daughters of men and taken to yourselves wives, and done like the children 4 of earth, and begotten giants (as your) sons And though ye were holy, spiritual, living the eternal life, you have defiled yourselves with the blood of women, and have begotten (children) with the blood of flesh, and, as the children of men, have lusted after flesh and blood as those also do who die 5 and perish. Therefore have I given them wives also that they might impregnate them, and beget 6 children by them, that thus nothing might be wanting to them on earth. But you were formerly 7 spiritual, living the eternal life, and immortal for all generations of the world. And therefore I have not appointed wives for you; for as for the spiritual ones of the heaven, in heaven is their dwelling. 8 And now, the giants, who are produced from the spirits and flesh, shall be called evil spirits upon 9 the earth, and on the earth shall be their dwelling. Evil spirits have proceeded from their bodies; because they are born from men and from the holy Watchers is their beginning and primal origin; 10 they shall be evil spirits on earth, and evil spirits shall they be called. [As for the spirits of heaven, in heaven shall be their dwelling, but as for the spirits of the earth which were born upon the earth, on the earth shall be their dwelling.] And the spirits of the giants afflict, oppress, destroy, attack, do battle, and work destruction on the earth, and cause trouble: they take no food, but nevertheless 12 hunger and thirst, and cause offences. And these spirits shall rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded from them.

The Wesley Center Online: Book Of Enoch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity