Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 01:20 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know what MQ means, but we told that we are in a serious battle between good and evil on this earth. All the battle metaphors, warnings against principalities and powers, etc.

Remember the old hymn: "Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus going on before...." or something like that. The Bible makes a big deal about our spiritual "war".
Indeed it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 03:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Indeed, there have been messengers’ who have fallen (rebelled), but they weren’t angels! These false prophets have attempted to turn the truth of adversity into the lie called Satan through the blending of Christianity with the thoughts of various philosophers, all under the authority of the Church/Emperors who required a national amalgamated religion to solidity their control over the people. These adversaries, false prophets and accusers of Christ, seek whom they can devour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
no sir!.. at one time satan and his demons were Angels. the Bible even speaks of satan as once being a Beautiful being. not what the world teaches. they came from Heaven, No one else were there, but the Jesus, Angels and Jehovah God. satan did a johnny-jack-up when he thought!... he could put himself in Jehovah God's place as the Most High ,(Isa. 14:12-15 “How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’ Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, To the lowest depths of the Pit).

when a War broke out in Heaven Jesus/Michael, and the Righteous Angels. kicked the wicked leader and those following him straight to Earth ,(Rev. 12:7-9 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought. but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him). they could NEVER return to Heaven, they know that they will soon be destroyed. therefore, they are attacking humans be-it by false teaching or by personal attacks. if they have to die, they're taking some of us with them! peace
It's posts like this, and others that make Christianity look ignorant.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:11 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
It's posts like this, and others that make Christianity look ignorant.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:24 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not all of those things are in the book of Revelation.

In fact none of them Mat 25:31; 13:24; Mat chap 24:3, so may I ask was there a reason why you responded in this way?

Old 11-09-2021, 06:21 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
In fact none of them Mat 25:31; 13:24; Mat chap 24:3, so may I ask was there a reason why you responded in this way?
See Post 49. Your fellow JW responded to my post referring to Revelation by referring to those passages from Matthew.

So perhaps you should tell me why he responded in that way. I am not a JW and therefore don't find this tactic useful for clear dialogue.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:22 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,377 times
Quote:

My apologies maam, that is what I get for sticking my nose in someone else's conversation. Like happens to me often, I should have followed the thread.

As far as the thread goes, Revelation is kind of like a summary of the whole Bible, it has information from the very first creation, till the completion of God's purpose for the earth and heavens. I consider it prophetic for sure.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:31 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
My apologies maam, that is what I get for sticking my nose in someone else's conversation. Like happens to me often, I should have followed the thread.

As far as the thread goes, Revelation is kind of like a summary of the whole Bible, it has information from the very first creation, till the completion of God's purpose for the earth and heavens. I consider it prophetic for sure.
The imagery or figurative language used in Revelation speaks to that of the Greco-Roman influence upon Christianity, where Christianity’s Jewish roots, were being mixed and blended with the Roman imperial culture and Greek philosophical ideas, which have actually molded Christianity into the institution it has become to this present day. I wonder, where people think the idea of the Trinity came from (i.e., one God in three persons)? Or, that of HELL and eternal damnation (i.e., an underworld of pain and suffering, etc.)

Old 11-10-2021, 12:36 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
The imagery or figurative language used in Revelation speaks to that of the Greco-Roman influence upon Christianity, where Christianity’s Jewish roots, were being mixed and blended with the Roman imperial culture and Greek philosophical ideas, which have actually molded Christianity into the institution it has become to this present day. I wonder, where people think the idea of the Trinity came from (i.e., one God in three persons)? Or, that of HELL and eternal damnation (i.e., an underworld of pain and suffering, etc.)

Old 11-13-2021, 09:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
For me it is about understanding what that “dark side” is and what it is not (and that relates to context)

I do not believe that a spiritual evil entity called Satan was created at the beginning fully formed so to speak

But I do believe that it has developed from the beginning as a consequence of our (humanities) individual and collective free-will to participate in it (at different levels)

Gen 3:1**Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

H5172***(Strong)
נָחַשׁ
nâchash
naw-khash'
A primitive root; properly to hiss, that is, whisper a (magic) spell; generally to prognosticate: - *X certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) X enchantment, learn by experience, X indeed, diligently observe.

Joh 8:42**Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
Joh 8:43**Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
Joh 8:44**Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Cain and Abel are stories about Adams progeny who are brothers and one of them was a lier and murder which is “satanic” “devilish” as it does not conform to what humans have instilled in them relating to our conscience and spirit that we all have

The awareness of morality is not a Christian thing it is there as a human thing, it is in our composition of flesh/spirit being united as a living organism with emotional and intellectual (creative) ability
The Greek word for devil means slanderer while the Hebrew word for Satan means a hinderer, someone or something that gets in the way…So, neither are synonymous as a lot of people think…

Regarding your remarks of Cain, would it be possible that he was the worlds first sociopath?…

Old 11-13-2021, 09:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You present an interesting theory about the status of Satan, otherwise known as the internal "serpent" that is the source of our indiscriminate carnal drives. This would mean that being "born again" as Spirit is NOT tied to loving God and each other, Meerkat. It would mean that becoming a spirit is independent of what kind of spirit we become, i.e., just an automatic and "natural" product of being human.

Frankly, that would be quite unsettling because it would suggest that the truly evil, savage, and barbaric ancestors in our human history could actually exist as spirits in a collective. That would mean that the collective human consciousness is binary - accumulating carnality and evil versus accumulating spirituality and love.

This would suggest that we are either just one or the other which I reject because I am certain we are comprised of BOTH. That is why we need to have the dross refined out of us. Besides, I reject that simply because I encountered no such binary consciousness. It was all love and acceptance.
In Judaism. this characteristic of mankind is called the Yetzer HaRa and the Yetzer HaTov…From my studies I’ve come to understand that a more understandable reference to the Yetzer HaRa would be HaSatan or the Satan…Which we all are born with as well as the Yetzer HaTov…

Yetzer HaRa = the bad inclination…

Yetzer HaTov = the good in inclination…

I’d suggest that, while the nature of Yetzer HaRa is equal to the nature of HaSatan, the nature of Yetzer HaTov is equal to Righteousness which would be equal to G-d, after all, G-d did make man in His own image and it’s possible that man created the Yetzer HaRa, but then again, Adam would have to have been formed with the Yetzer HaRa in order for him to have disobeyed G-d, because if he was formed only with the Yetzer HaTov, how would he have even thought to disobey G-d?…These are just my thoughts…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity