Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 10:39 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
So was Peter ..."get behind me, Satan."
Yea, in the story Peter was attempting to be a satan to Jesus and his goal…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 10:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The War Scroll was one of the first of the Dead Sea Scrolls to be discovered in Qumran in 1947.
Is there any reference to it in ancient Judaism?…

Quote:
The translation I provided says 'wicked.' The word is synonymous with the word 'evil.'
Ok, does it actually say wicked “beings”?…

Old 11-13-2021, 11:18 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, in the story Peter was attempting to be a satan to Jesus and his goal…

Old 11-13-2021, 11:19 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
The Greek word for devil means slanderer while the Hebrew word for Satan means a hinderer, someone or something that gets in the way…So, neither are synonymous as a lot of people think…

Regarding your remarks of Cain, would it be possible that he was the worlds first sociopath?…
Not as such
I think the creation story is about setting up types, and are prophetic about what was to be fulfilled globally

I don’t believe that the stories/narratives are speaking of literal, physical, individual, historical people as such - even though I do think they could be loosely based on some historical event, or type of person

The Hebrew Scriptures have their own roots in the Egyptian and Mesopotamian thoughts/writings but were also looking forward as well to the “latter days”

There is a lot of change in language and it’s usage and to understand what the Scriptures are meaning you need to understand how they were using it, and also the meaning of the name

H7014***(Strong)
קַיִן
qayin
kah'-yin
The same as H7013 (with a play upon the affinity to H7069); Kajin, the name of the first child, also of a place in Palestine, and of an Oriental tribe: - Cain, Kenite (-s).

H7013***(Strong)
קַיִן
qayin
kah'-yin
From H6969 in the original sense of fixity; a lance (as striking fast): - spear.

H7069***(Strong)
קָנָה
qânâh
kaw-naw'
A primitive root; to erect, that is, create; by extension to procure, especially by purchase (causatively sell); by implication to own: - attain, buy (-er), teach to keep cattle, get, provoke to jealousy, possess (-or), purchase, recover, redeem, X surely, X verily.

Old 11-13-2021, 11:28 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
In Judaism. this characteristic of mankind is called the Yetzer HaRa and the Yetzer HaTov…From my studies I’ve come to understand that a more understandable reference to the Yetzer HaRa would be HaSatan or the Satan…Which we all are born with as well as the Yetzer HaTov…

Yetzer HaRa = the bad inclination…

Yetzer HaTov = the good in inclination…

I’d suggest that, while the nature of Yetzer HaRa is equal to the nature of HaSatan, the nature of Yetzer HaTov is equal to Righteousness which would be equal to G-d, after all, G-d did make man in His own image and it’s possible that man created the Yetzer HaRa, but then again, Adam would have to have been formed with the Yetzer HaRa in order for him to have disobeyed G-d, because if he was formed only with the Yetzer HaTov, how would he have even thought to disobey G-d?…These are just my thoughts…
Yes, it seems to be about capacity or possibility which isn’t good or evil, it is the action caused by the motivation that defines it

There is a levelling at work as well

Humans individually and corporately always have that duality

Old 11-13-2021, 11:47 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Is there any reference to it in ancient Judaism?…
Judaism, like all religions evolved over time. All I'm saying here, and as scholarship knows, is that during 2nd Temple period Judaism, Jewish writings outside of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible were portraying a Satan figure by the use of various names such as Belial, Mastema and others, who was in opposition to God. And so, Satan as portrayed in the New Testament is not the invention of Christianity.

Quote:
Ok, does it actually say wicked “beings”?…
Why don't you read the portion of the War Scroll that I posted? Belial is described as an angel of malevolence, and therefore as an evil or wicked being. Then of course 1 Enoch has fallen or rebellious angels descending from heaven to the summit of Mount Hermon where they made a pact to take human females as wives.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Judaism, like all religions evolved over time. All I'm saying here, and as scholarship knows, is that during 2nd Temple period Judaism, Jewish writings outside of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible were portraying a Satan figure by the use of various names such as Belial, Mastema and others, who was in opposition to God. And so, Satan as portrayed in the New Testament is not the invention of Christianity.

Why don't you read the portion of the War Scroll that I posted? Belial is described as an angel of malevolence, and therefore as an evil or wicked being. Then of course 1 Enoch has fallen or rebellious angels descending from heaven to the summit of Mount Hermon where they made a pact to take human females as wives.
Your last sentence leads to the theory that those ancient rulers like Pharoah, were actually half-divine, as they themselves claimed. At least that's how I understand Dr. Heiser on the subject.

That would correlate with many ancient myths about semi-divine "humans" and little-g gods. Usually up to no good and in opposition to God.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:01 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Your last sentence leads to the theory that those ancient rulers like Pharoah, were actually half-divine, as they themselves claimed. At least that's how I understand Dr. Heiser on the subject.

That would correlate with many ancient myths about semi-divine "humans" and little-g gods. Usually up to no good and in opposition to God.
I think that ancient rulers such as the Egyptians simply were considered to be divine or semi-divine as were the later Roman Emperors. In the Old Testament, king Og was said to be the last of the Rephaim which was one of the giant clans and related to the Nephilim. Also, Goliath and his brothers were among the last of the giants.

However, the Nephilim story in the Old Testament has as a backdrop the Sumerian stories of the Apkallu who after the flood were said to be half-divine beings. Also, in the Sumerian story of the Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh was said to be half divine and of giant stature.

Old 11-13-2021, 04:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:

Of course that has to make this Satan of Christianism real, while comparing or contrasting this entity with various false gods, rather than a certain characteristic as a quality or trait?

Old 11-13-2021, 05:08 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
This bishop does a great job of explaining evil in the world, really helped me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IED3S-vJ5AU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity