Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 04:34 AM

27 posts, read 7,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
It sounds like what you want is your self back, after you do something that you feel separates you from God. You know that whatever it means to have a self comes from our relationship with God. I think it is that way for even the unbelievers. It sounds to me like you have a lot of faith.
I'm not sure about that. I think better phrasing would be that "I want the closeness to God that I once had before." However, that closeness has returned now. I think there is a very good reason why God puts a distance between us when we sin; He puts that separation there to discipline us. But I do agree that "self" - in terms of whether we are in the flesh or the Spirit - depends on how close we are to God. We live more in the Spirit when we have closer fellowship to God. It is about renewing our minds and changing our thoughts from our own opinions to God's way instead. His way is better than our own, and as a believer you know this. Therefore starting to go your own way when you are familiar with God's way feels hopeless and miserable. I thank God that He has mercy on those who come to Him, even those who may wander for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 10:55 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Rumors say that he is... I'm not so sure...

Speaking of still being around - haven't heard from you in a while.

Lurking for a long time. Back causing mayhem, I'm afraid. probably not for very long.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:10 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
He is me. I am him. Changed my username.

Very glad to know you're well and good, Mike.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:21 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Very glad to know you're well and good, Mike.
Thank you.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:00 AM

614 posts, read 172,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameizhere View Post
I'm not sure about that. I think better phrasing would be that "I want the closeness to God that I once had before." However, that closeness has returned now. I think there is a very good reason why God puts a distance between us when we sin; He puts that separation there to discipline us. But I do agree that "self" - in terms of whether we are in the flesh or the Spirit - depends on how close we are to God. We live more in the Spirit when we have closer fellowship to God. It is about renewing our minds and changing our thoughts from our own opinions to God's way instead. His way is better than our own, and as a believer you know this. Therefore starting to go your own way when you are familiar with God's way feels hopeless and miserable. I thank God that He has mercy on those who come to Him, even those who may wander for a while.
I think about it like this, and I have said this somewhere else here, before, from the point of view of what it must be to be a consciousness. I think we need to understand that not only is the central observer the consciousness, but that everything we observe is consciousness, as well. It is that the part of our consciousness that we can observe, is beholden to reality. It straddles the line between what is us, and what is not us. And, you know, there are processes that take place among cells that do the observing where information is dealt with before it gets to us. These things can be as basic as which way is up? They can also be more complicated, and cause us trouble with making too many assumptions.

But, then, also, the central observer is subject to emotion, just as the observer part of us is subject to reality, and evolution. And that each one of these aspects of ourselves can exist at any time in relation either solely, or in groups, with all of the other parts. It's crazy what we can become.

Jesus said that people slept when they died. That implies something like dreaming. That also means that after death we have to endure a consciousness that doesn't have the input of the world anymore. That's a bad place to be, if you don't understand what love is. If it is all about possession, then you eat yourself when you die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity