Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 10:57 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How high were those mountains?
The flood story has the ark coming to rest on the mountains of Ararat. Mount Ararat is 16,945 feet high.

Quote:
Yes. He made it rain big. He also opened the earth up and water poured out. And no, it doesn't mention the glass-like firmament.
The firmament - raqia- translated as 'expanse' in many English translations is mentioned in Genesis 1:6,7,8. It is well known to scholars that the raqia refers to a hard, solid substance. Fundamentalists deny this of course and claim it simply refers to the expense of the sky but it does not. Just about every ancient pre-scientific society on earth believed that the earth was covered by a solid dome of some sort. The ancient Hebrews were no different.

In the early Jewish pseudepigraphic writing of 3 Baruch, written sometime between AD 70 and the 3rd century AD, with reference to the tower of Babel, it has the builder's of the tower trying to pierce the heaven - the firmament to see whether it was made of clay, brass, or of iron. The story again is pseudepigraphic but reflects a Hebrew belief in a solid raqia - firmament.
3 BARUCH

3. 1 And the angel of the Lord took me and led me to a second heaven. And he showed me there 2 also a door like the first and said, Let us enter through it. And we entered, being borne on wings 3 a distance of about sixty days' journey. And he showed me there also a plain, and it was full of 4 men, whose appearance was like that of dogs, and whose feet were like those of stags. And I asked 5 the angel: I pray thee, Lord, say to me who are these. And he said, These are they who gave counsel to build the tower, for they whom thou seest drove forth multitudes of both men and women, to make bricks; among whom, a woman making bricks was not allowed to be released in the hour of child-birth, but brought forth while she was making bricks, and carried her child in her apron, and 6 continued to make bricks. And the Lord appeared to them and confused their speech, when they 7 had built the tower to the height of four hundred and sixty-three cubits. And they took a gimlet, and sought to pierce the heaven, saying, Let us see (whether) the heaven is made of clay, or of 8 brass, or of iron. When God saw this He did not permit them, but smote them with blindness and confusion of speech, and rendered them as thou seest.

3 Baruch: Greek Apocalypse
In Job 37:18 the skies - shachaq are described as being hard or strong as a molten mirror. The sky as a hard subtance is present both in the Hebrew Bible and in Jewish writings outside of the Bible.

I keep repeating, over and over that the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament has to be understood from its ANE context. And the ANE cosmology included a solid structure covering the flat earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 10:57 AM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Prove it didn't happen.
https://skepticalinquirer.org/2018/0...nter%202011%29.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
meh

Old 11-23-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
meh
If you are going to ignore the evidence when it is presented as asked, why bother asking? Just carry on in your fantasy world .

Scientists have also calculated how much water vapor would have been in the atmosphere to achieve the flood , and concluded that it would have crushed the lungs of every human. But again, its science , so just ignore it. No need to let facts intrude upon your fantasy world

Old 11-23-2021, 11:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
If you are going to ignore the evidence when it is presented as asked, why bother asking? Just carry on in your fantasy world .

Scientists have also calculated how much water vapor would have been in the atmosphere to achieve the flood , and concluded that it would have crushed the lungs of every human. But again, its science , so just ignore it.
I refuse to give any credence to a skeptic website. I'm guessing you'd say the same of AIG.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:23 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Prove it didn't happen.
Quote:
Quote:
meh
I suggest that you read it. You said to prove that the flood didn't happen, well there's your scientific evidence if not proof that the flood didn't happen. Are you afraid to read it? Are you afraid that your faith can't withstand firm scientific evidence that there was no global flood? Are you simply unable to accept that the Bible as the word of God does not need for either the creation or flood accounts to be historical or literal?

Did God actually slay a sea serpent at the beginning of creation as the writer of Psalm 74 states in verses 13-14? No. He didn't. That comes right out of the Ugaritic Baal cycle - the story about Baal's rise to kingship over the gods by his defeat of the forces of destruction, Sea and Death. The Baal Cycle has Baal slaying a seven headed sea serpent. As a polemic the writer of Psalm 74 has Yahweh destroying the sea monster which represents chaos. Psalm 74 says in effect - No, Baal didn't overcome chaos, but Yahweh did.

In like manner, both the Genesis creation and flood stories are simply polemics against the gods of the other ANE peoples and designed to glorify the Hebrew God Yahweh.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I refuse to give any credence to a skeptic website. I'm guessing you'd say the same of AIG.
The skeptic site gives the actual science . Nice try. They are just relaying the facts of the matter that science has discovered . You wont accept anything that disturbs your fantasy world , period .

It’s mind boggling that grown adults are capable of making themselves believe in such stuff . But carry on with embarrassing the rest of the Christian world . Talking donkeys and cattle changing color because someone laid sticks in front of their eyes while they mated and all that

Old 11-23-2021, 11:28 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Flatten the mountains, fill in the depths of the sea, melt the ice caps, and yes. There would be.
That comment doesn't really answer the question, does it. Show us those studies. You can't because they don't exist.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:41 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
meh
Meh? In other words, you either didn't read it or didn't understand it, or refuse to acknowledge science. Not understanding it is the only valid excuse for your "meh" comment.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:05 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:

Scientists have also calculated how much water vapor would have been in the atmosphere to achieve the flood , and concluded that it would have crushed the lungs of every human. But again, its science , so just ignore it. No need to let facts intrude upon your fantasy world
The water issue wasn't cited in the article, but it is incontrovertible proof that a world wide flood did not happen with human survivors. The rate of rainfall required would make it impossible to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity