Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 07:42 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Yes it can be reconciled, and I did so back in post 25.
Which post? #25 was by MightyQueen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 07:51 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Which post? #25 was by MightyQueen
Sorry, I got my threads mixed up. That was actually post 25 in the thread - https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...n-ranks-3.html

Old 12-10-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I got my threads mixed up. That was actually post 25 in the thread - https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...n-ranks-3.html
Thanks. So, if your assertions are true that:

Quote:
The Genesis creation stories are theological in nature and not scientific, historical, or literal.
and

Quote:
And so were the Genesis creation stories. The Genesis creation stories were designed to attack the creation stories of the other ANE peoples.
then in what way is the God of the Hebrews actually superior to the gods of the ANE pagans? Is he?

If you compare the narrative of Genesis 1-2 next to an ANE myth or better yet, to what actually happened in reality; which one is a better story?

Old 12-10-2021, 07:50 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
World wide according to the times. How large was the known world in the era recorded in Genesis?
The ancient epics of Gilgamesh and of Atrahasis describe great flooding and the building of boats to save people and animals.
I believe there was a great flood as far as the eye could see in ancient times in the known world.

There's a very plausible theory on this one, considering where I sit was covered by a mile of ice some 12,000 years ago. When the glaciers began to melt, a very large lake was formed in the center; which eventually drained quickly into our oceans creating a rapid sea level rise.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks. So, if your assertions are true that:

and

then in what way is the God of the Hebrews actually superior to the gods of the ANE pagans? Is he?
The Genesis creation stories were written as subversive, polemical attacks on the pagan creation stories for the very purpose of demonstrating the superiority of the Hebrew God Yahweh over the gods of Israel's pagan neighbors.

For instance, whereas in the other creation stories the gods had to struggle against chaos, and each other, to bring about creation, the Hebrew God Yahweh effortlessly created the heavens and the earth with but a word. Whereas for the pagan peoples of the ANE the moon and the sun were gods, in Genesis they are simply lights that Yahweh placed in the firmament to divide the day from the night. Genesis demotes the sun and moon gods to mere lights. Genesis says, 'My God can beat up your gods.'

Quote:
If you compare the narrative of Genesis 1-2 next to an ANE myth or better yet, to what actually happened in reality; which one is a better story?
The actual issue is, does Genesis depict the reality of creation? The answer is no, it does not. The reality is that our universe had a beginning which based on the evidence resulted from the 'big bang.' Then after a very long process of cosmic evolution our own sun and earth were formed, life began, and by means of biological evolution and common descent, man evolved. This is how God chose to do things for his own reasons.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The Genesis creation stories were written as subversive, polemical attacks on the pagan creation stories for the very purpose of demonstrating the superiority of the Hebrew God Yahweh over the gods of Israel's pagan neighbors.

For instance, whereas in the other creation stories the gods had to struggle against chaos, and each other, to bring about creation, the Hebrew God Yahweh effortlessly created the heavens and the earth with but a word. Whereas for the pagan peoples of the ANE the moon and the sun were gods, in Genesis they are simply lights that Yahweh placed in the firmament to divide the day from the night. Genesis demotes the sun and moon gods to mere lights. Genesis says, 'My God can beat up your gods.'
I understand your argument. The problem is that if Genesis is fiction, then in reality, the God of the Hebrews is not actually superior to the pagan gods. He cannot in reality "beat them up". He did not *actually* "effortlessly create the heavens and the earth with but a word".

How is our God *actually* better than the pagan gods?

Quote:
The actual issue is, does Genesis depict the reality of creation? The answer is no, it does not. The reality is that our universe had a beginning which based on the evidence resulted from the 'big bang.' Then after a very long process of cosmic evolution our own sun and earth were formed, life began, and by means of biological evolution and common descent, man evolved. This is how God chose to do things for his own reasons.
So our God is no better than the gods of the ANE pagans.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I understand your argument. The problem is that if Genesis is fiction, then in reality, the God of the Hebrews is not actually superior to the pagan gods. He cannot in reality "beat them up". He did not *actually* "effortlessly create the heavens and the earth with but a word".

How is our God *actually* better than the pagan gods?

So our God is no better than the gods of the ANE pagans.
You completely misunderstand. God exists. He is real. But God wasn't concerned with providing the actual details about how the universe came to be. The ancient Hebrew peoples could never have understood it. They could never have comprehended 21st century cosmology. So though divine inspiration God allowed the biblical writers to express things in their own way. And that involved using the cosmology of their time to communicate certain things about God. It's divine accommodation - God condescending to where the ancient Hebrews were in terms of their understanding of things in order to communicate divine truths.

I've already told you why the Genesis creation story shows the Hebrew God to be better than the gods of the pagan ANE peoples. Explaining it again won't do any good.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
You completely misunderstand. God exists. He is real.
Is this your response to how the Hebrew God is superior to the ANE gods? He is superior because He exists?

Quote:
But God wasn't concerned with providing the actual details about how the universe came to be. The ancient Hebrew peoples could never have understood it. They could never have comprehended 21st century cosmology. So though divine inspiration God allowed the biblical writers to express things in their own way. And that involved using the cosmology of their time to communicate certain things about God. It's divine accommodation - God condescending to where the ancient Hebrews were in terms of their understanding of things in order to communicate divine truths.
So according to you, God allowed His people (both Israel and the Church) to wallow in ignorance in regards to the origins of the universe for millennia, with His holiest prophets and saints affirming the false narrative.

Then, "in the fullness of time", God allowed the truth of evolution to be brought forward; not by holy people who love God, but by people who hate God and the Church.

Quote:
I've already told you why the Genesis creation story shows the Hebrew God to be better than the gods of the pagan ANE peoples. Explaining it again won't do any good.
I'm not asking how the story shows the Hebrew God to be better than the gods of the ANE pagans. That is obvious. I'm asking how the Hebrew God is superior to the ANE gods in actuality. Is your answer to this "God exists, and the pagan gods don't"?

Old 12-10-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Is this your response to how the Hebrew God is superior to the ANE gods? He is superior because He exists?

So according to you, God allowed His people (both Israel and the Church) to wallow in ignorance in regards to the origins of the universe for millennia, with His holiest prophets and saints affirming the false narrative.

Then, "in the fullness of time", God allowed the truth of evolution to be brought forward; not by holy people who love God, but by people who hate God and the Church.

I'm not asking how the story shows the Hebrew God to be better than the gods of the ANE pagans. That is obvious. I'm asking how the Hebrew God is superior to the ANE gods in actuality. Is your answer to this "God exists, and the pagan gods don't"?
I've already explained to you. I'm not going to explain it again. You've taken up enough of my time.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I've already explained to you. I'm not going to explain it again. You've taken up enough of my time.
As far as I'm concerned, whatever you have explained has had nothing to do with the simple and direct questions I've asked you.

I have no choice but to assume that either you have not thought about these issues very deeply or that you're being dishonest. In charity, I'm going with the former assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity