Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 06:14 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Wikipedia Flat earth myth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth.

Its a myth that educated people believed the earth to be flat.
We have a City-Data member that insists the earth is flat.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, isn’t it?…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 11:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Exactly. In order to communicate effectively you must speak in terms which your intended audience can understand. And the biblical writers themselves could only write within the framework of their own understanding. They themselves believed the earth was flat and round (sort of like a dish), and that the firmament was a solid dome over the earth in which the sun, moon, and stars were embedded while being able to move. To them the earth rested on pillars as did the firmament. That was their understanding of the cosmos. All this is reflected in the Hebrew Bible.

And I'm glad that I could play some small part in helping you to understand why the Bible says what it says. Sometimes I think that I'm wasting my time on this forum. It's nice to know that that's not entirely the case.
You have definitely helped me! You never know who you might be touching on the vast internet. Chances are you'll never know, but the truth goes out and that's always a worthwhile endeavor.

We all feel we are repeating ourselves, but there are constantly new people reading, or regular posters just seeing it for the first time. That's why I don't mind repetitious posts unless they were nonsense from the get-go.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:03 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I agree

The Scriptures are not about the literal natural world - the literal and natural is used as figures/metaphors and the narratives are built up - they (the Scriptures) are theological in nature and they (the writers/scribes) knew perfectly well about allegory and figurative things because the art of writing itself has to do with symbolism and representation

Tit 3:9**But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
I have to remember this, as I tend to get caught up in: "What about THIS?" subjects that are not crucial to salvation. I am too curious for my own good.

It's easy to go down the rabbit hole of what is literal, what is figurative and so on. I know one can end up choosing not to believe at all, if you get too caught up in that. Ask me how I know, lol.

I had to come to terms with my own limited understanding and accept there is a whole world out there I cannot grasp. It struck me when I had joint replacements and realized I had NO idea what the surgeon was actually doing and put my life in his hands 100%, just trusting. That helped me to come to terms with not understanding everything I felt I needed to, re Christianity.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:42 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
You have definitely helped me! You never know who you might be touching on the vast internet. Chances are you'll never know, but the truth goes out and that's always a worthwhile endeavor.

We all feel we are repeating ourselves, but there are constantly new people reading, or regular posters just seeing it for the first time. That's why I don't mind repetitious posts unless they were nonsense from the get-go.
That is true.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:57 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I agree

The Scriptures are not about the literal natural world - the literal and natural is used as figures/metaphors and the narratives are built up - they (the Scriptures) are theological in nature and they (the writers/scribes) knew perfectly well about allegory and figurative things because the art of writing itself has to do with symbolism and representation

Tit 3:9**But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:21 PM

840 posts, read 774,847 times
The Flood was world wide . . .and . . . it covered the entirety of earth's land mass. It's not much of a stretch of imagination when you consider that it had already been doing so early in the Creative 'Days', up until the second creative 'day', when that water was separated & some was suspended above earth's atmosphere (Genesis 1:6-10).

This was possible for at least 2 reasons:

1. The top layer of earth was originally formed to be hilly . . . not mountainous;

2. The atmosphere surrounding earth had itself been surrounded by water (providing a hot-house effect & protecting from our sun's radiation), which had been separated from the waters that originally covered the earth in its entirety . . . then it was dumped back onto the earth at the time of the Flood. . . .

A similar circumstance is to fill a glass with water . . . separate the water into 2 glasses . . . steam the water in one glass, but then allow it to condense back into the glass that still has water in it, and that glass will be full again . . . just as the earth was covered again with the water that had been removed from its surface & placed over our atmosphere, from where it was dropped back onto earth to annihilate the wicked who had come to fill the earth. . . .

This provided visual, historical & archeological evidence of our Creator's Almightiness. This in turn has lovingly aided faithful ones who strive to follow his guidance, to have faith in Him even in the worst of situations . . . because he has repeatedly predicted adverse events . . . then brought remedies for them at the foretold times, exactly as he promised he would.

However, when the 'waters above' were dropped back upon the earth's top-most layer, so that either the weight of it -&/or the rush of so much water- caused upheavals in its surface, which became its tall mountains & resulted in some very deep ravines, including along the ocean floor itself. The water ran off of the new high spots much more quickly than it would have been removed from the hilly terrain of before . . . and plants & trees were able to begin to grow again.

"The Story of Noah and the Great Flood—Is It Just a Myth?"
Discusses the Bible's answers to . . .
- Noah & The Flood—Fact or fable?
- Why did the Flood happen?
- Did people know that the Flood was coming?
- What did Noah’s ark look like?
- How long did it take Noah to build the ark?
- Great flood stories, myths, and legends
(This article is found at jw.or/en/ .)

Old 12-13-2021, 05:49 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
The Flood was world wide . . .and . . . it covered the entirety of earth's land mass. It's not much of a stretch of imagination when you consider that it had already been doing so early in the Creative 'Days', up until the second creative 'day', when that water was separated & some was suspended above earth's atmosphere (Genesis 1:6-10).

1. The top layer of earth was originally formed to be hilly . . . not mountainous;

2. The atmosphere surrounding earth had itself been surrounded by water (providing a hot-house effect & protecting from our sun's radiation), which had been separated from the waters that originally covered the earth in its entirety . . . then it was dumped back onto the earth at the time of the Flood. . . .

A similar circumstance is to fill a glass with water . . . separate the water into 2 glasses . . . steam the water in one glass, but then allow it to condense back into the glass that still has water in it, and that glass will be full again . . . just as the earth was covered again with the water that had been removed from its surface & placed over our atmosphere, from where it was dropped back onto earth to annihilate the wicked who had come to fill the earth. . . .

This provided visual, historical & archeological evidence of our Creator's Almightiness. This in turn has lovingly aided faithful ones who strive to follow his guidance, to have faith in Him even in the worst of situations . . . because he has repeatedly predicted adverse events . . . then brought remedies for them at the foretold times, exactly as he promised he would.

However, when the 'waters above' were dropped back upon the earth's top-most layer, so that either the weight of it -&/or the rush of so much water- caused upheavals in its surface, which became its tall mountains & resulted in some very deep ravines, including along the ocean floor itself. The water ran off of the new high spots much more quickly than it would have been removed from the hilly terrain of before . . . and plants & trees were able to begin to grow again.

That may be what the JW's teach but it is completely unscientific and wrong.

As for #2 - the water canopy theory, even most young earth creationists don't make that argument anymore. For details read the following from Answers in Genesis - https://answersingenesis.org/environ...-canopy-model/

And there were no six days of creation. The earth is billions of years old and took millions of years to form.

As for the claim that there were no high mountains but only hills, the flood story itself in Genesis contradicts that. Genesis 7:19 says that the water covered all the high mountains everywhere under the heavens.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-13-2021 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 07:17 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post

Lots of speculation, no facts in this posting.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:13 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's me, you know I dont count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity