Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 12:39 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm ……

Just doing some random thinking here

Who is Noah? We need to look at his name which has to do with character and position, etc names in the Scripture have meaning

H5146***(Strong)
נֹחַ
nôach
no'-akh
The same as H5118; rest; Noach, the patriarch of the flood: - Noah.

Jesus has dual heritage- son of man (Adam and anthropos) and also son of God

In the NT we have Jesus saying before Abraham, I am (he exists)

I’m thinking that reference is to Noah

Adam’s line goes through Seth - Cain and Abel have the symbol of the crucifixion in it

Abel is not replaced by Seth, Seth has do with the natural that gets corrupted as its “earthy”

Gen 5:29**And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

H127***(Strong)
אֲדָמָה
'ădâmâh
ad-aw-maw'
From H119; soil (from its general redness): - country, earth, ground, husband [-man] (-ry), land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 01:02 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No. We have firm archaeologic evidence that both Mesopotamian and Egyptian civilizations existed during the time period of the supposed biblical flood.
It stands to reason, then, that the Flood must have taken place earlier than your source is saying.

Quote:
Again, the flood legends of the ANE are developments of local or regional floods that did occur.

I know this is hard for you to accept, but Noah's Flood doesn't have to have been historically real for the Bible to be divinely inspired. I think you said earlier that the Roman Catholic church doesn't require you to believe in the flood story.
The Flood of Noah was a real, historical event. As far as I know, the Church does not require us to believe that it literally covered the entire earth or that it literally killed every human except for Noah's family. It also does not require us to dis-believe those things. It is simply silent on the details, but affirms that Noah was a real historical figure and he really built an ark to weather out a great flood.

Quote:
It's simply a matter of understanding why the flood story is in the Bible in the first place. That reason being that the biblical writer of Genesis wanted to usurp the reason given by the other ANE peoples for the flood. The biblical writer gave the flood story a Hebrew slant on the ANE flood legends and connected it to the Hebrew God Yahweh.
What flood?

Old 12-27-2021, 01:38 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It stands to reason, then, that the Flood must have taken place earlier than your source is saying.

The Flood of Noah was a real, historical event. As far as I know, the Church does not require us to believe that it literally covered the entire earth or that it literally killed every human except for Noah's family. It also does not require us to dis-believe those things. It is simply silent on the details, but affirms that Noah was a real historical figure and he really built an ark to weather out a great flood.

What flood?
You wouldn't understand.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:

What flood?
Quote:
You wouldn't understand.
We need to look to Scripture to see what those waters represented - and they are not the literal, physical, natural water - that was a prophetic story that was going to be fulfilled in its appointed time

Rev 17:15**And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the ***** sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
Rev 17:16**And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the *****, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
Rev 17:17**For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
Rev 17:18**And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
We need to look to Scripture to see what those waters represented - and they are not the literal, physical, natural water - that was a prophetic story that was going to be fulfilled in its appointed time

Rev 17:15**And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the ***** sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.
Rev 17:16**And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the *****, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
Rev 17:17**For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.
Rev 17:18**And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
It's both. The waters of the Deluge were both literal/physical and a prefigurement of things to come.

Just as the ark was both a literal floating structure as well as a prefigurement of the Church.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
It's simply a matter of understanding why the flood story is in the Bible in the first place. That reason being that the biblical writer of Genesis wanted to usurp the reason given by the other ANE peoples for the flood. The biblical writer gave the flood story a Hebrew slant on the ANE flood legends and connected it to the Hebrew God Yahweh.
The reasons for why the Flood story is in the Bible are much deeper than you know or can begin to imagine. It is possible for you to understand, but that will require you giving something up.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The reasons for why the Flood story is in the Bible are much deeper than you know or can begin to imagine. It is possible for you to understand, but that will require you giving something up.
I agree that the flood story has much deeper reasons for being there, but we are all limited in various ways - we all need to give some things up but that doesn’t happen all at once, it’s progressive and also depends on our own part and relationships as well

There are certain things we are to give up and certain things we are to retain

Old 12-27-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I've already told you why the flood story is in the Bible, and it's not because it really happened. But you can't get past your beliefs and orient to reality. So again, you wouldn't understand.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I've already told you why the flood story is in the Bible, and it's not because it really happened.
I understand your belief.

Quote:
But you can't get past your beliefs and orient to reality. So again, you wouldn't understand.

I could say the same thing about you.

The important thing is what is the basis of our beliefs. Do we have faith in God and what He has revealed to us, or do we trust only what we can perceive with our senses (i.e. no faith at all)? Do we rely on the testimony of those who love God or of those who hate God?

Old 12-27-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I understand your belief.

I could say the same thing about you.

The important thing is what is the basis of our beliefs. Do we have faith in God and what He has revealed to us, or do we trust only what we can perceive with our senses (i.e. no faith at all)? Do we rely on the testimony of those who love God or of those who hate God?
Are you claiming that Christians who know that there was no Noah's flood hate God?

And no, you can't say the same thing about me. I accept the scientific evidence that there was no global flood. You on the other hand pretend that there is no evidence because you are committed to defending a Bible that is scientifically inerrant even though it clearly isn't.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-27-2021 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity